Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic starting and engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic starting and engine problem

Vehicle 1994 Honda civic dx hb.
Zc motor, stock, 228k on the odo, 70k on engine and trans.

So here's the problem I'm having, the head gasket blew on this about 10k miles ago, bought the fel-pro gasket set, installed and had the head machined while I had it apart. Had the machine shop do a valve check and compression check and everything was great. I've been having a problem when I turn the key i can barely hear the starter turn, cranks over and idles extremely low and rough like it's flooding for a few seconds until I tap the gas pedal and it resumes... Recently it's become worse and also as well as white smoke comes from the tail pipe until idle resumes to normal. Temperature gauge works and is not over heating.. Car drives fine once the initial idle goes normal. Originally the cause was oil I'm the spark plugs due to the valve cover not sealing correctly, that problem was fixed and no longer leaks. Any suggestions? I'd hate for it to be the head gasket again. But if I must I guess I'll be replacing it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 94 civic starting and engine problem

Any CEL codes?

Does this "i can barely hear the starter turn" possibly mean the battery is low on charge.

Sounds like you just have a low idle problem. Have you replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the IACV and FITV, and adjusted the idle speed? Is the throttle body dirty?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Any CEL codes?

Does this "i can barely hear the starter turn" possibly mean the battery is low on charge.

Sounds like you just have a low idle problem. Have you replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the IACV and FITV, and adjusted the idle speed? Is the throttle body dirty?
Thanks for the reply Ron. Nope. No cel codes. Dash light works and it's not lit. The starter has been going on an off like that for a while. I believe the starter is going out, but it will always crank the engine. Battery tests good with plenty of cca's. Would low idle cause white smoke to come from the tailpipe because of lack of fuel/air being burned? Idle speed is fine once car is initially turned on, after the 3 seconds of rough idle. Have not replaced pcv valve or cleaned iacv or fitv.. But those are on the list to do. Like I stated once you get past the car idling really rough and sputtering, normal idle resumes and car is fine...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

So when the key is turned to ON(II), the CEL turns on and then off after 2 seconds, right?

Try the things I mentioned for a low idle problem. Excess fuel burning causes black not white smoke. White smoke is just normal water vapor or coolant burning, but try to solve the idle problem before worrying about the white smoke.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes sir. When the key is turned to the ON(II) the light turns off after 3-4 seconds. It's good practice to start any vehicle like that I learned... Will Definately hit up the parts store to replace the pcv valve and get some brake cleaner to clean the entire throttle body fitv and iacv.

I'll let y'all know this weekend if any progression is made.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so after having my car fail utterly to start back up this morning after shutting it off, I was lead to believe the distributor cap and rotor were at fault because the car would crank, but not fire. It's like it was lacking spark... so being as they've never been changed since 6 years and over 100k miles.. I replaced the cap/rotor, cleaned the throttle body, IACV and FITV, replaced PCV valve... I decided to do a compression test, cyl 1 = 110, and in cylinder 2 the plug was fouled with oil. Cleaned it up and did the compression test cyl 2 = 90, cyl 3 =100, cyl =110. Fires right up with no problems after replacing the cap/rotor, but still a studder when accelerating. Will keep my eye on it. I'm thinking it may be a piston ring or something?

Any advice is helpful.