Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   94 Civic slow crank, clicking, and wiper issue (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-civic-slow-crank-clicking-wiper-issue-3227913/)

Hmotoredcoupe 10-31-2014 03:17 AM

94 Civic slow crank, clicking, and wiper issue

Last night when I started the car it cranked over slow and I heard a clicking under the dash, but it started on its own power. This is after it has been sitting for a while. After driving it for a while and starting it back up it fires up right away with no issues. This morning however, it was slowly cranking and the clicking was occurring from under the drivers side dash. When the car started, the wipers were constantly on. Even after shutting the car off and starting again they remain on.

I know the main relay has to be good since the car does start and continues to run. What do you guys think it is? Perhaps it is just a bad ground? Or possibly a dying battery or bad alternator? Then the slow cranking just shorted something out messing my wipers up?

I am going to go check over the grounds and see if I notice anything unusual. In the meantime I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Former User 10-31-2014 06:36 AM

Re: 94 Civic slow crank, clicking, and wiper issue

Charge or replace the battery.

Do the wipers still run if you remove fuse 14?

Hmotoredcoupe 10-31-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 50033614)
Charge or replace the battery.

Do the wipers still run if you remove fuse 14?

Tested the battery and that seemed to be the culprit. I am picking up a new one this evening. After starting the car this afternoon the wipers have now shut off and seem to be working properly. I guess the battery being really low triggered something? I will keep you posted if it occurs again. In that case I will try removing the fuse and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

TomCat39 10-31-2014 12:17 PM

Cold weather always brings out weak old battery problems. the colder it is, the more prominent and old battery displays signs of age of not putting out the full Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

Former User 10-31-2014 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hmotoredcoupe (Post 50034144)
After starting the car this afternoon the wipers have now shut off and seem to be working properly. I guess the battery being really low triggered something?

Odd. I think the wiper issue may resurface.

Hmotoredcoupe 11-02-2014 07:35 AM

Put a new battery in and the car starts right up. I have not had an issue with the wipers since the first incident and I hope it will not resurface!