Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 CIVIC-LX Erratic idle on Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 CIVIC-LX Erratic idle on Park

Recently my rpm started to play up and down while on park from 900 to 1500 rpm (engine is warm, fan runs). Then I gave it a gas the rpm surge up and it slowly goes to 950-1000rpm then it start to play again, it doesnt go to the normal rpm 700-800rpm??. I cleaned the TB two months ago, sprayed n cleaned the two holes for the IAC & FITV. When I drive the car rpm is in normal (700-800rpm. no surging or erratic idle, driving is fine its when I alway put the car to park. Also the erractic idle goes away and the rpm goes down to 950-1000rpm now. I check n sprayed n cleaned the IAC & FITV holes again. I havent remove the IAC/FITV from the TB n check n clean both. I thought if I spray it with the trottle body cleaner thru the holes of the TB its will clean it up. I did spray the two holes IAC & FITV two weeks ago n the rpm plays from 1000-1500 again, I rev for a second the rpm slowly goes down to 1000rpm, the surging up n down goes away. The erractic idle only acts up when u put the car to park after driving the car, rev it couple of time its goes away. I check the PVC is fines. I changed the distributor assembly 6 months ago. Cleaned the TB two months ago inlcuding the two holes FITV n IAC holes. Cleaned it again last weeks. The car doesn't stall or dead while in drive and on traffic light. no erractic idle too while in drive or reverse just on park, in Neutral its goes to 1000 rpm no erractic idle or surging. just in park. When the erractic idle is goes away the rpm is 1000, not normally 700 or 850rpm. its high right now. Need help. I also had the engine head gasket replaced by honda dealer coz the head gasket had a crack. Radiator fluid push all the way back to the reservior tank that causes steam build up inside the engine head and the radiator it half empty. I also replaced the radiator did it myself, These happened n done three years ago. Need help on the surging or erractic idle. BY the way when driving n then I slow down the engine whines (whinning) noise happened too.sounds like engine braking.

I had a mechanic checked the issue, coz it might not pass the state inspection. He said that it might be the sensor for the coolant. He checked n diagnose quickly that it might be the coolant sensor right below the distributor assembly (ECT gauge sending unit or the ECT sensor). He told me I can fix it by myself or I can bring it back to him n he will do it, He might have to do some more diagnostic test, but to due funding $$, I cant afford it right now. So I need u help n advice to save some bucks$$???

Last edited by kuags27; 11-22-2009 at 02:26 AM.