Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

Alternator belt broke , got it fixed and a week later the light came back on but when they looked the crank bolt had sheared off and the belts were hanging loose. Looks like the key slot got rounded off on one side quite a bit but that there may still be the key in there. This is what it looks like now. Also the timing belt shifted over sawing through the plastic cover part way. Car still ran, tow driver drove it up onto the flat bed even though I asked him not to.
Managed to get the broken bit of the bolt out of the engine.
question, is it worth trying a new bolt in there??? I thought the engine was toast but should I have a little hope? Thx

I fixed the dark picture I posted before using a flashlight!
It's a 94 civic hatch dx automatic
Attached Images  

Last edited by bluebluecivic2; 04-26-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: 119 civic hatch dx
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default re: 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

Pic is too dark to see detail.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default re: 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

Not gonna lie, I had my crank bolt in without the woodruff key and it ran just fine. If you can get those threads in there, you can impact that crank bolt in there to where it won't go anywhere. You just have to make sure it's still lined up with you run it in with the harmonic balancer.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

Here's a better pic, sorry
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??

And one more
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try a new woodruff key and bolt, you don't really have a lot to lose by trying it. Why did it shear off in the first place? Bolts don't usually just break by themselves, especially one as thick as the crank pulley. Did a pulley freeze up or something?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mystery. The alternator belt broke and I had that repairs and then this happens a week later. Not sure if they ar related or just bad luck. Got a new key but there is a chunk of metal missing where it fits in, hope you can see it in the photos. So...
Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
Not gonna lie, I had my crank bolt in without the woodruff key and it ran just fine. If you can get those threads in there, you can impact that crank bolt in there to where it won't go anywhere. You just have to make sure it's still lined up with you run it in with the harmonic balancer.
So just crank it down, eh? How long has this lasted so far? What are the specs to crank it down, someone told me with th new boots that they raised the ft.lbs

Also, my timing belt started to shred as it works its way out...is this the time to replace it or should I see if I can muster it altogether first?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you do it that way how are you know your ignition timing is where you need it to be?

Crank bolt didn't sheer off, your key did..
Old 04-27-2016, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
If you do it that way how are you know your ignition timing is where you need it to be?

Crank bolt head broke away from the bolt. Do you mean part of the key is still in there? The replacement key I got looks very short. It is the right part number but says 1 in packet but it looks like there are 2 in there exactly the same size...
Old 04-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Imgonna try to fill the worn slot on the crankshaft with jb weld and let it set up. I'm going to try to degrease the area first to help,it bond, James Bond.i think I will wrap the key in plastic and smash the jb weld into the area left to help,it be a good fit. Crazy nervous but what have I got to lose. Been on a bike for three days!

The real trouble is that as the harmonic balancer slipped away the timing belt shifted over and cut through the plastic cover, so I need to replace the belt too. Gonna just replace the belt as I'm not sure this will work...

Last edited by Former User; 05-09-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 1994 civic crank pulley replacement, it's off!

I have a crank bolt which snapped, so I got the threaded part out. But when I went to put the pully back on it was loose and wobbled, it seems it was too big now probably due to friction wear. So I got a used one from a junkyard ( bitch to take off)and didn't think too much...and come home to find the used one doesn't have a power steering belt pully,just the ones for the alternator and ac....but it fits on the crank like a glove.
I am thinking the loose pulley will cause problems as I will either not be able to center it on right or it will vibrate and loosen the bolt so I am not sure what to do. Help?!

I thought all civic crank pulleys were the same and that models without just didn't use the pulleys...

Last edited by bluebluecivic2; 05-09-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 05-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: 1994 civic crank pulley replacement, it's off!

Originally Posted by bluebluecivic2
I thought all civic crank pulleys were the same and that models without just didn't use the pulleys...
As you have just found out, they are not.

It depends a lot on if it comes off a D16 or D15 and even then depends on trim which will also depend on which country. Country is important as the CX in the states and Canada are two different breeds.

I suspect you grabbed a pulley of a no power steering Canadian CX D15B7 while your car is a power steering equipped D15B7 DX.

My wifes DX has the 3 belt pulley while my CX has the two belt pulley. Neither of which are dampened.

First pic is the 2 belt B7 pulley, no hex hole, undampened:

Name:  2belt-pulley.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  54.2 KB

The next pic is the 3 belt pulley, same no hex hole, undampened B7:

Name:  3 belt-pulley.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  19.1 KB

This third pic is the D16Z6 3 belt dampened pulley, you can see it has the hex hole for bolt removal that B7's do not. And is missing all the small holes encircling the bolt hole area the B7's have for bolt removal.

Name:  3belt-z6-pulley.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  1.07 MB

I believe the reason the dampened pulley moved away from the encircling holes for bolt removal is the rubber damper layer sandwiched between the outer and inner rings. The holes would likely be on the outer ring while the bolt is on the inner ring. That much torque would likely damage the rubber damper. The hex hole keeps all the force on the inner ring of metal so the rubber doesn't have to contend with the bolt torquing force to loosen or tighten.

I have not researched or looked at the D15Z1 VTEC-E pulley so I'm not sure of it's design.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put it all back together and it doesn't start. It ran before when the bolt was busted. I think I did timing right when I swapped the belt. It kind of sounds like it wants to start but then doesn't. So much work. I was so sure I put everything back on including the covers and splash protector. Suggestions? Could the engine have walked like my mechanic suggested when the bolt snapped? What do I do?! Try tweaking the timing one way or the other?? Which way? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the mechanical timing.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Check the mechanical timing.
Does that mean taking off that crank pulley bolt I torqued on so tight again and pulling the pulley to see the crank arrow mark and everything? Oh boy, I may need a drink. So I guess I should have checked it BeFoRe putting it all back together and torquing the crank pulley bolt. Should I check if it starts with the crank pulley bolt just torqued half way next time? Thank you
Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the metal key is still holding the crank pulley in the proper position, you don't need to remove the crank pulley to check the mechanical timing.

Note: to check the timing, turn the crank pulley ONLY counterclockwise until the cam is set at TDC1. Then look down at the crank pulley to determine whether the pointer aligns with the white mark on the crank pulley.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thanks. But since I swapped out the old crank pulley and put on a Canadian one I didn't make or line up a white mark at TDC, so I guess I have to pull the pulley to check the little arrow and the mark on the crank gear. Learning is painful sometimes...gonna try to do it tonight. Will update, please keep the good ideas coming, thanks!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bluebluecivic2
Ok, thanks. But since I swapped out the old crank pulley and put on a Canadian one I didn't make or line up a white mark at TDC
Did you install the metal key that locks the crank pulley into one position?

Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes key installed. My problem was I had the cam gear lined up upside down, there was no UP marked on it and I didn't notice the third line. It's all back together now. Gonna sleep on it and hope the Honda gods smile down on me and forgive my blunder and I'll try to start it in the morning. Thanks for the help! Fingers crossed... :/
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018

I had it lined up with the keyway and just made sure it didn't move much if at all when I ran the bolt down. It ran for like a year before I did a head swap and realized it wasn't in there not saying it doesn't matter, but the key just holds it in place. Line up the pulley opening with the crank opening where the key would be and you'll be fine. You still have some meat on that crank. Key another, slip it in, hold the pulley and run it down. You'll be fine.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not starting, it looks like I must have done some damage by having the cam gear positions upside down based on the lines and I may have messed it all up. I figure I may have fouled the plugs by cranking it so much like that, so I guess I could check that and cylinder compression too just to make sure but it looks bad. UGH!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I check compression in each cylinder? Would that tell me if I bent a valve or did damage? If so, would that cylinder be zero compression? Don't want to give up even though I fear the worst...
Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

re-align the cams and the crank 1st before attempting compression test.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did realign them before , do you mean take it apart and check if they're still mechanically timed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 civic hatch dx automatic - Crank bolt sheared off, can it be saved??