Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic - Fluctuating idle, bouncing speedometer, and no gas cap hiss

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 94 Civic - Fluctuating idle, bouncing speedometer, and no gas cap hiss

Ok so I've tried to my wits end to solve these three problems I'm having. Two of the problems started after a major snow storm in which my inter engine bay had snow in it. it was after work that day i had to change a dead battery out.

The first issue is the Rpm's bounce up and down between 1000 and 1500 after the car warms up to normal temp but also bounce but then stabilize during the warm up period. I've replaced both the Iacv and fitv from ones from the junkyard i cleaned the iacv and the fitv looked cleaner the the one that was on my car.

The second issue is the speedometer started bouncing while driving, its not a by to much ether maybe 5 to 10 mph. so i got one from the junkyard and it stop for a while but is starting to do it again.

The third issue is when i take the gas cap off theres no hiss of pressure release, its been like that for a year or two now. The fuel pump has been replaced but don't remember if it started around then. also some times when i drive i can smell gas when the tank is full

the car runs but ran better before the snow storm i would to have to avoid buying new parts hope you all can help.

Info on my car:
94 Honda Civic DX
Mini-me swap d16b7 block/d16z6 head
P06 chipped to P28
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 94 Civic - Fluctuating idle, bouncing speedometer, and no gas cap hiss

Thread titles MUST be subject specific so that members browsing topics can easily understand the tech problem without reading the post -- title edited.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Civic - Fluctuating idle, bouncing speedometer, and no gas cap hiss

holy sweet baby jesus........as for the electrical........i hate electrical and would suggest a motor swap. go b-series.....you know you want to lol. but the gas smell is no good. meaning that your tank is obviously not sealing correctly. follow your fuel line from the engine bay's fuel filter to the hard lines all the way into the gas tank check for cracks. possibly the fuel line off the fuel pump was not fitted correctly? have you bapped your gas tank on anything? and i had the same problem before but that was because my fpr wasn't completely torqued.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would love to do a motor swap but don't have the $$$$ I was talking with someone today about the gas smell and they said it could be the charcoal canister which would make sense because the smell is coming from the front of the car and after doing some research of a bad charcoal canister that would be one of the symptoms. I've gone over the hard lines and no damage from what i could see and every things all tight. still no idea on the whole now pressure release when cap is opened and i to hate electrical to its so hard to pin down what it is
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Thread titles MUST be subject specific so that members browsing topics can easily understand the tech problem without reading the post -- title edited.

^agreed