Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic - eBay racing seat installation and bracket issues (pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic - eBay racing seat installation and bracket issues (pictures!)

1994 honda civic seat instalation issues need help have pictures! bracket issues. The first picture is the seat, the second picture is the seat with the bracket in the position its supposed to be in but as you can see there is no holes to mount it and it doesn't line up right. The third picture is of the bracket on its own.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 1994 honda civic am seat installation issues need help have pictures! bracket iss

Mock up, then test (if) another two bars across on the inside of the already existing two... see of the sliders can bolt up to the added bars inside, and be centered to your liking.
These kinds of seat installs always require a alteration or two.
be it drilling other holes or adding material to attach the other side.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1994 honda civic am seat installation issues need help have pictures! bracket iss

SO since were talking about rigging lets go full on with it. Would this work? lol!!!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. If the bolt holes don't line up, you have the wrong bracket. Get the right bracket. Don't ghetto rig it. It's kind of critical to your and your passenger's safety.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 94 civic - seat installation issues need help have pictures! bracket issues.

Where'd you get the seats? Where'd you get the brackets? What brands are each? Me suspect these are Ebay specials although I could be wrong.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic - seat installation issues need help have pictures! bracket issues.

yep ebay specials lol. The brackets came with the seats and the bracket for the car fits in the car no problem. I took the seat out to make sure. But the bracket does not fit on the bottom of the seat as you can see. I am not sure what I can buy to make it work maybe someone could point me in the direction of some proper mounting hardware that would fit my seats. My old seats were custom and in there before I got the car there leather half back seats that look like something out of a muscle car lol. defiantly not very honda civic.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here they are lol:
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 civic - eBay racing seat installation and bracket issues (pictures!)

Message the seller ask if they know what you need to do
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic - eBay racing seat installation and bracket issues (pictures!)

My guess is you must drill the bracket and fasten it to the sliders with your own hardware
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are crazy installing that junk!!! I wouldn't trust those for gaming chairs! Are you suicidal?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Im not a fan of those kinds of seats, but one cant judge someones budget.
Since you already have them you have to make them work as best, and safe as you can.
Double check to see if the brackets line up with the factory mount holes.
Do they? Does the metal bend easilly?
If the metal bends easilly find another bracket that has thicker stock.
Your brackets should not bend.
If they dont then do this.
Measure the width/thickness of the bracket stock and go to your local metal sales store or local hardware store, and find something similar, if not right on the stock bracket thickeness its made of.
You are basically adding more material on to accomdate the width of the seat sliders.
They appear a half inch off??
idk i cant really tell so you will need to figure out what makes the sliders fit in so it can be bolted up.
These strips will have to be welded in.
Once you have the surface figured out then you can drill your holes in the strips and bolt the seat sliders to the bracket.
Use grade 8 hardware only.
I recommend allen head bolts, washers and nylon locking nuts.
This can be done, but you get what you pay for when you ebay your parts.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Im not a fan of those kinds of seats, but one cant judge someones budget.
What do you mean by judge someones' budget? Not trying to start a debate here, but if someone's budget is that tight, they either need to not spend money on extra car parts and focus on paying bills, or they need to save up for quality parts and shop smartly. Finding good used seats on a budget is not hard. You won't be riding around in a Sparco S-light or a Bride Gias II, but safety should not be skipped out on in any case, no matter what. Recently I had to part out my Buddy Club seats/sliders (roughly $1k set up) and went stock for a few months. Last month, I found a Corbeau Forza wide bucket seat, in amazing condition, used for $125. That is dirt cheap imo. Safe entry level seats with FIA approval can be found for roughly $300-400, and used can be had for half that.

My buddy has 2 sets of "Type R" recaro style ebay seats (4 seats total). Guess what, we have them mounted on small brackets just to use as chairs around his fire pit while having a few beers, or scotch and cigars, and even then, I'm always wondering when one of the reclining mechanisms will randomly just give out and we can have a good laugh at the victim.

I don't care what anyone says, those seats are unsafe and could kill you. I wouldn't be caught in those in any car. However, we can advise as much as we want, it is your choice if you want to use them or not. I would suggest bite the bullet and sell them, and pick up a good used driver's seat

Last edited by ej6fade; 02-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You can find good quality OEM seats in junk yards, through the H-T marketplace, or even on eBay all day long that will hold you better than those, and be safer and more reliable to boot. Those seats are a death trap even when bolted in correctly. JB Welding them is only going to make them even more dangerous. The smallest crash will shatter JB Weld and turn a minor contusion from the seat belt into a broken skull. A bruise, or a coma - it's your choice.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The fact that "jb weld" is even being considerd to be used to help hold seats in place is nuts !. Why take such a risk on you + you'r passengers life ? an e-bay exhaust is one thing seats/seatbelts are onother. I'll bet you bought harnesses also...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Seriously, OP, go find some seats that don't suck, and turn those into lawn chairs, or gaming chairs, or something OTHER than car seats.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out Sparco R100 for cheap reliable seats.

Thats what Im using and theyre great!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by ej6fade
What do you mean by judge someones' budget? Not trying to start a debate here, but if someone's budget is that tight, they either need to not spend money on extra car parts and focus on paying bills, or they need to save up for quality parts and shop smartly. Finding good used seats on a budget is not hard. You won't be riding around in a Sparco S-light or a Bride Gias II, but safety should not be skipped out on in any case, no matter what. Recently I had to part out my Buddy Club seats/sliders (roughly $1k set up) and went stock for a few months. Last month, I found a Corbeau Forza wide bucket seat, in amazing condition, used for $125. That is dirt cheap imo. Safe entry level seats with FIA approval can be found for roughly $300-400, and used can be had for half that.

My buddy has 2 sets of "Type R" recaro style ebay seats (4 seats total). Guess what, we have them mounted on small brackets just to use as chairs around his fire pit while having a few beers, or scotch and cigars, and even then, I'm always wondering when one of the reclining mechanisms will randomly just give out and we can have a good laugh at the victim.

I don't care what anyone says, those seats are unsafe and could kill you. I wouldn't be caught in those in any car. However, we can advise as much as we want, it is your choice if you want to use them or not. I would suggest bite the bullet and sell them, and pick up a good used driver's seat
Just to set the record straight... I never condoned any JB weld.. that is nuts to use that.
In my post i advised the extra material be welded in.
My advise is if he was going to use those seats that it be put in as safely as possible.
Not everyone has a budget with unlimited funds.
You'd be surprised how many of those cheap seats are actually floating around in hondas.
Just go to a local meet and be amazed.
They are cheap and IMO not safe at all.
But if thats all someone has, thats all they have.
MY preference.. get something more reputable and sturdy.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really know to much about seats so what makes seats more or less safe?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

that they stay in place so in the event of a crash you and you'r passenger(s) don't go flying through the windsheild !.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

They are constructed of cheap materials and arent built to a DOT spec.
I have seen these seats fail in collisions and fold up on the passengers.

If you use cheap mounts they will tear in the event of a collision.
The metal has to be sturdy enough to not bend easilly as I have seen some of them do.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is dirty is if you don't have the funds, then stick with OEM until you can. I bought teg seat for $100 and have been rocking them for the past two years until I can afford some brides.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

'I have a small budget to buy car parts'.... Then don't buy car parts. Logic.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josh-roy
'I have a small budget to buy car parts'.... Then don't buy car parts. Logic.
No, just save and buy quality parts once so you don't waste money replacing the cheap stuff. My family gets most of my check so very little gets put toward my cars.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is turning into a flame fest. What I wanna know is if these seats are so crappy cuz they are no name seats, someone please SHOW PROOF of them and others similar failing. Get off the bang wagon blaming the OP and the product. Cough up proof or stfu.

He has to drill or weld those brackets and do some lite fab work. Just cuz they arent direct bolt on, most are like OMG eBay! Flame flame flame. Yet no evidence.

PROVE THE CASE TO EVERYONE OR SHUT UP. Smh kids these days
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So came up with my own legit fix! Hope you enjoy!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 94 civic - eBay racing seat installation and bracket issues (pictures!)