Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic DX Hatchback question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 94 Civic DX Hatchback question

Firstly, hello!

I'm new to the forums as a member, but i've been reading a few threads for quite some time now. Anyways, to the question. I believe (according to the title) I have a 1994 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. Now I figured i'd pick ya'lls brains since a few people may know more than I do about what i've researched or discovered about my car. But this is what I know.

It's a 1.6l 125hp engine (Block says HM ZC 6247611) If anyone can confirm this, please let me know. I'd like to know more info about the engine itself (What can be modified for either fuel efficiency or power?) Is there anything special about this motor, what mods can I do (If any that are recommended). I don't race around in the car, actually I commute in it. Every once and a while I do need to zip around some slow *** driver in traffic, but for the most part, I go the speed limit in it.

Secondly, I've already done the typical tune-up on it. Plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, oil changes every 3,000 miles, just put in a new-used transmission with new seals, has less than 30k miles on the tranny. about 45k on the engine. The car itself has 205k miles (just hit today!). About every 3 oil changes I use the Lucas fuel injector cleaner you buy at autozone, and marvels mystery oil to help clean out the engine case.

Things I do want to change eventually (if anyone knows a good place with great prices, or good quality product, please let me know, or link me!) The carpet inside is worn down, and I'd like to replace that. I need new CV boots (I was thinking of buying the autozone re-manufactured ones for 60 bucks a piece. Alot better than 200 at the dealer). I'd like to replace the seats (Either with stock ones or a different model [RSX seats?]) What will fit in my car without bustin the bank. I'd love to change the dash console with something brighter. My lights in the dash are starting to fade. Also, easy way of removing the cluster without removing the entire dash?

I've got some 3rd party open cone air filter, which has a noticable change in the cars performance. about 3mpg more in fuel economy, and some mo'powah. Also gives the car a nice growl to it. :D I will be putting a K&N filter in it as soon as I get the chance. Should I change the intake tube from the stock plastic, or put a metal tube in there? It rains alot where I am and also gets quite hot during the summer, and I'd like to keep my car from sucking up water (obviously drive slow through big puddles. lol)

Oh, I forgot. The car is an automatic, and manual everything. Manual door locks, windows and mirrors. If possible, can I make the door locks and windows power? Any suggestions on that.

Any other mods, or anything anyone could suggest i'm quite open to.

THANKS!
-A honda owner for 6 years.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 94 Civic DX Hatchback question

It appears to be a SOHC VTEC ZC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D...6Z5_engines.29

It's closest, in my opinion, to a D16Z6, which was found in the '92-'95 EX's, or the '92-'95 Si's. Also similar to the D16Y8 found in the '96-'00 EX's, although that's OBD-II.

All the same stuff pretty much applies to the D16Z6, except the ZC wasn't made in America IIRC (it's a swap, as that car came with a D15B7 in it.

It's not a particularly fast motor, though one of the faster ones of the D series. It puts down ~125hp-130hp at the flywheel making around 95-115 at the wheels. It stops making power around 6800 RPM so regardless of where the redline is, it can't breathe well that high.

I don't feel like suggesting all the possible upgrades because there's lots, but if you're going to try to make good power with it your best bet is a turbo. Seeing as that's really not a viable option on a daily commuter, I'd just leave it alone.

As for putting a short ram air intake on there - it won't do anything except change the pitch of the engine (make it a bit deeper). I'd leave that alone if I were you, but if you like the noise, go for it. If you went for a full cold air intake (like the AEM V2) it'd cost you a **** ton for the ~5hp that you would get out of it.

As for the power doors, yes, you can obviously pull them out of another civic which had them from a junkyard or what have you. I'm not sure what changes you have to make (aside from getting the power door harness & the power door lock actuators) for power door lock, but for the windows you can most likely use your old window - but you'll need a power window regulator.

Removing the cluster is quite easy, also. I'm not sure about the RSX seats as I don't waste money, though.

There's a lot of info on the stuff you mentioned floating around this forum, so please, make use of the search tool now that you got a basic idea at what you're looking for.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you! I'll do a little more research into the engine. If possible I'd like to tune it a bit to get a little more power out of it without a turbo.

Will look around on the forums though.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A quick question possibly. Which parts will fix on the DX? Obviously 92-95 civic hatch parts. CRX parts i'm assuming as well for the same year. As well as acura. And engine parts are about the same for the ZC motor years?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Syndacate
It appears to be a SOHC VTEC ZC.
Non-vtec SOHC ZC. Closest to a D15B7 or D16A. If you're looking for better mileage and more power swap in a 5 speed.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AmorshC
A quick question possibly. Which parts will fix on the DX? Obviously 92-95 civic hatch parts. CRX parts i'm assuming as well for the same year. As well as acura. And engine parts are about the same for the ZC motor years?

Depends what CRX parts you are talking about,CRX's ended in 1991.Civic running gear is mostly interchangable,Body parts is where you have to be more specific.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
New User

how would a 50 shot do on one of those auto dx trannys?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To identify any B or D-Series, look at the block stamp here...

Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already know my block stamp.. It's a ZC. Thats why I asked if anyone knew any more info on it. I'm not familiar with the ZC stamps. But thank you though for the information.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZC is a Jap engine, here is the H-motorsonline link to it http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30020 it makes 120Hp and 100ftlbs Trq 9.1 compression ratio. If you want more power go with a manual trans, and a vtec head, do a short ram intake to avoid hydro locking your engine.