Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 civic in distress, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic in distress, need help!!!

hello all i am new to the froums so real quick i can only posts up to 5 times a day, some lame trail to new members so lets try to get all my answers with out me posting u can aol msg me at cuzzy20 not cuzzy16 like it says in my profile. ok to the point lol.......

i was on my way to alabama from az and i got into texas and my timing belt went while i was on the highway going 80 . so valves bent etc..

i thought only the valves bent but the guy at the shop tells me that my cam also got fucked up. i don't know much about cars witch is pretty sad cause all my frends are imports lovers and want to soup them up like i was kinda doing. my car is a 94 civic hatchback cx with stock motor 1.5 etc new/used transmission, new clutch adn 124000 miles on engine.. only thing really done to it is a cold air intake, a muffler, some euro lights, clear corner lights not too much done with my kind of budget.

so now this is where u guys come in to save the day lol. my options are:
pay the guy to fix it witch i am not going to do.
find a new/used engine to ship to him to put in.
buy a used car from a car lot (not enough to buy from a owner, but i am consider this my best option cause my mom said she help out a little)
or buy the parts to fix it somehow and ship it to him or
any ideas from any if u guys to help a fellow honda owner out!!!!

please any ideas,websites, parts u can sell for a great price or anything u guys can help me out with would make my world. u guys have no idea what i have been though for the last year from bills to jailtime fixing my windshiled 3 times its been one thing after another.

the other thing is i have limited money 200 in pocket right now,atleast 500 dollers to spend amonth untill the beg of july witch is my due date to fix my car or just save all the money i got and get from now to beg of july and use that towards a used car at a car lot.

any ideas or suggtions will be a life saver. thanks so much...

danny
Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 civic in distress, need help!!! (cuzzy20)

bump for this one guys!!

i could be totally wrong but i thought that the d15b8 didnt bend valves... can someone affirm or deny this??

dan, dont worry about hooking up your car or anything, 40mpg pwnz your friends
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: 94 civic in distress, need help!!! (bleh)

Any car can bend valves if driven the wrong way.

To the thread starter, that sucks. My timing belt went when I was almost at redline, but luckily nothing got screwed up. If you want to learn about cars, now is just as good a time as any. That's where most of my experience has come from. I had a problem with my car, and I fixed it myself. It takes a while the first time, but after that, it is so easy.

You can save yourself so much money by doing this yourself, and you still may be able to get another car in the near future. Good luck and I hope this helps.

-Shane
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 civic in distress, need help!!! (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any car can bend valves if driven the wrong way.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>
he means that he doesn't think they D15B8 is an interference engine-where the piston will touch the valves while at TDC with the valves open.
i'm not sure if it is or not-Part America lists all the 92-95 Civic engines as interference.i DO know that i've had a few friends break timing belts on D15B8s and never had any damage.just threw on a new belt and it was fine.
if there is damage to the engine,your best bet is probably to just buy a used replacement.they can be had for a couple hundred bucks.
Chris
Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My timing belt went when I was almost at redline, but luckily nothing got screwed up. If you want to learn about cars, now is just as good a time as any. That's where most of my experience has come from. I had a problem with my car, and I fixed it myself. It takes a while the first time, but after that, it is so easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>same with me, you learn a lot when working on your own car. but if you choose to fix it yourself, step1: helms manual
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find yourself a replacement for a couple hundreds. I do recommend you get a Helm's manual like everyone has suggested if you plan to start wrenching on your car. Also, search HT and do lots of reading.

I took broke my timing belt not too long ago. My car is a 94 DX and it broke with something like 126k miles on it. I panicked and hurry to get my car running again and slapped one of my z6 heads on it. I neglected to do a leakdown test and compression test to see if my vavles survived or not before I pulled my head off.

Good luck to you
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same with me, you learn a lot when working on your own car. but if you choose to fix it yourself, step1: helms manual</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I use a Haynes manual, but anything that has step-by-step helps. There was another thread that I read that someone forgot to unbolt the starter bolts and they couldn't get their tranny off.

Just quadrouple-checking and having a manual really helps.

-Shane
Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 PM

thanks guys for the replys but i forgot to metion 1 thing, lol. i am in alabama and my car is in texas so there is no way for me to fix it my self way to much money to get it towed back to tucson to fix it my self.

now instead of buying a whole new engine what about a new head i mean that has all the valves and cams on it will this work? and if this does any websites u can give me for new/used good condtion head or maybe a better one like a racing head the not to exspensive i can do like 500 for it.

i will go and buy the helms manual even if i can't fix it my self it seems like this is the book of honda and all ur needs lol. hope yto hear more anwsers soon. lates