Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic Clutch Failure? (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Civic Clutch Failure? (solved)

Hey guys, I have a 1994 Honda Civic VX Hatchback. I was driving along the highway one day when I felt the car buckle while I was cruising in fifth gear. Scaring the sh*t out of me, I decided to get off the Highway. As I was driving on the off-ramp at bout 20mph, my car suddenly seized and stopped dead in it's tacks, however the motor continued running.

The car runs however when put into gear it wouldn't budge when i put some gas into it. I recently changed the passenger side CV Axle thnking that was the problem but that would've been too easy. Now the car still turns on but when put into gear you can tell the motor wants to push but it is as if something is resisting us from allowing to drive the vehicle at all. I can hear a grinding noise near the front CV Axle/ What I think is the main clutch system, but when I engage the clutch the noise stops.If I rev hard enough in gear the car will budge a centimeter but refuses to go at all. I can easily change between gears without even engaging the clutch and the RPM sits at about 1000 while siting in neutral. The funny thing is it won't even let me push it while the car sits in neutral, as if something is locked up somewhere.

Any and all clues/ideas would be very helpful and appreciated.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: 94 Civic Clutch Failure? (solved)

Sounds like one of the axles popped out of the differential or broke off in the differential.

When in gear and revving engine, does the speedometer register speed?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes when in neutral and I rev the engine the RPM gauge does move as well as when I shift it in gear and attempt to rev it forward, However I wouldn't be able to tell if the speedometer is working because that stopped working while ago. I just replaced the right one CV Axle, should I attempt a change of the left one then? I didn't see any axle grease on either or of them though, they look fine, if it broke off n the the differential, would that be a problem in the differential then or just the axle itself then and would that be an easy for a "non car guy learning to build his project car" be able to fix if it is something within the differential?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the other axle and inspect it.

Also verify with pictures that the new axle is fully inserted into the transmission differential.

Do you know what's wrong with the speedometer? It may be an easy fix. Is CEL code 17 thrown?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the speedometer floats counter clock-wise or doesn't work at all siting underneath the little *** it is supposed to do, But I will certainly check out the axle. Any ideas as to what would cause this if that is the problem? I keep up the oil change but the transmission fluid hasnt been changed since I bought the car a year ago and I doubt the previous owner didn't either. should I consider changing it soon or even now?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

hAxles pop out of the transmission either because they weren't pushed in all the way during axle replacement, or the snap ring in the groove near the end of the axle is worn broken or missing. The transmission being out of fluid won't cause that, though of course that does cause other serious problems.

Speedometer reading other than zero with the car not moving almost always means the speedometer head is bad. Does the odometer still roll up miles properly when the car is moving, or when you try to make it move?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're in gear and the car isn't moving...but the speedometer is, then it means that the diff is spinning, but not transferring power. Probably because an axle popped out or broke.

Your axle probably just popped out because you just installed it. The way to confirm this is to look using your eyes. Then pop it back in and make sure it seats. Push it in an agressive jerking motion to pop it back in. You are popping it in...not pushing it.

It will not properly install using a smooth pushing pressure from the arms of most humans.

Make sure the car is very securely on jack stands before doing this.

Check for any oil leaks and refill the trans.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Your axle probably just popped out because you just installed it.
It was doing this before I changed one out, I've changed out the right one believing it was the problem but it might be the left one. Going to chek when I have the chance.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@RonJ,
These are 2 pics of the left axle, the connection at the transmission and at the wheel, the one picture of the cleaner silver axle is obviously the new right cv. They both look good to me? but then again I'm not car professional. Do these look good and popped in? Should I just attempt replacing the left one since they arent expensive at all?

Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 AM

The 1st pic looks like the axle is popped out of the trans. Note the gap.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^definitely suspect
Old 05-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
^definitely suspect
Yes. But they'll never be able to prosecute me.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. But they'll never be able to prosecute me.
You're many thing, but never suspect!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the first one would be the one I just replaced so I'll definitely check it out first sunlight! I'll let you know how it all goes, crossing my fingers.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to pull the CV axle out of the transmission by hand, it should move at most a tiny bit then stop.

If the axle is not locked in, raise that side of the car and take off the wheel. Then detach the lower ball joint so you can swing the knuckle out a little and slam it back in. Everything else can stay put together. Do not swing the knuckle out too far and over-extend the inner CV joint, as the joint will come apart inside if you pull it past what the boot is comfortable with.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont thinks it popped out. It looks like its sitting right up against the axle seal. I think the gap would be bigger if popped out IMO.

Last edited by eh2_Trav; 05-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eh2_Trav
I dont thinks it popped out. It looks like its sitting right up against the axle seal. I think the gap would be bigger if popped out IMO.
That's what I thought as well so when I lifted it up today I wasn't surprised to find that its resting up right against the seal of the tranny. However further inspection of the axle itself on the Passenger side of the car, I saw a similar axle behind the CV axle looking like this

This connects to a bar behind the transmission that goes stright to the left side and repeats this axle. It connects to the back end of the rotor.
Possible problem? If so what is the name of this part so can compare prices.
Attached Images    
Old 05-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the inner tie rod for the steering rack --> unrelated to your problem.

Have you removed both axles yet for inspection? That's how the issue will be resolved.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent, I'm waiting on a 32mm socket from a friend to remove the axles again.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get a free rental for large socket sets at some auto parts stores. Call around.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Talunus
I havent, I'm waiting on a 32mm socket from a friend to remove the axles again.
O'reilys is free. You'll need a 1/2 drive breaker bar to break it loose.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well good news! Fixed the problem, ended up being the new Right CV Axle not being pushed n all the way. I removed the axle, re-fitted it, started the car up, drives like she use to it.

However; I'm still hearing the grinding noise as before. Clutch? Master cylinder? It grinds when the car s n neutral, a constant grinding noise. When engaging the clutch it stops. Now as I hit higher in the gears you can hear an almost whistling sound pretty high in pitch once in fifth gear.

P.S. Can hear the right rotor now always rubbing up on something now as well... Mostly when I turn towards the right does it really become dominant. About to take wheel off again to inspect the cause.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grinding from the transmission is the input shaft bearing(s). This is a very common problem, the outside bearing was a weak part of these transmissions. If that is indeed what happened to yours, you can take transmission apart and replace only the bearings and get many more miles out of it.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ what he said. It more than likely is an input shaft bearing. Very common with civic EX transmissions. ive replaced two myself. itll make almost a knocking like noise when at higher RPM's
Old 06-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Grinding from the transmission is the input shaft bearing(s). This is a very common problem, the outside bearing was a weak part of these transmissions. If that is indeed what happened to yours, you can take transmission apart and replace only the bearings and get many more miles out of it.
Is this something a non car guy can do with a basic set of tools and a floor jack? If not how much usually to get this done by a professional?

Quick Reply: 94 Civic Clutch Failure? (solved)