Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 b16 coupe, fast crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 b16 coupe, fast crank no start

Alright so Monday night I was driving my car home from work, and all of a sudden it started bogging. I pushed the clutch in, tach jumped around a little and then it died. I coasted into a gas station, popped the hood and started looking. The car has an msd coil(bought it like that). The previous owner made the hole against the metal in the dizzy, and didnt put any type of gromit there. Needless to say it rubbed through the insulation and arched. I taped over it as a temp and held it at full throttle and it started once, then died when I let off the gas. The tach was always off by a few 1000 rpms(read low). Once it died it would not move while cranking. I do have fuel, and I tested for spark and there was none. I had the car towed home.

Last night I disconnected the msd and started taking the dizzy out and notcied there was only one bolt(top one) holding it in. I grabbed an obd1 b16 dizzy of my friend(he wasn't 100% sure it was good, he's had it laying around for a while. Put it in and the car still cranked and wouldn't start. Plug wires are new and plugs are fairly new and are gapped correctly. However my friend noticed when cranking the dizzy moved in and out slightly, so I took a bolt out of the dizzy of my ef and tried again. it cranks normal speed with the dizzy 180 degrees off and cranks very fast with it on straight. I have not rechecked for spark, but the tach still does not move. Ignition fuse is good, no codes, and when I plug my laptop into my s300 it still gets a tach signal. The iacv is new, 4bar map is new(car is boosted) intake mani, and tb gaskets are all new. No vacuum leaks that I could find. I am going to check for spark again after posting this, and my friend has an obd1 gsr dizzy all set up for msd that I will try, but I just want top see if anyone else has any ideas. Car did buck a little when just cruising at a steady rpm, but it was normally when the wideband was reading above 16.1 so I just assumed it was because of the amount of fuel it was getting. Not sure if it could be the main relay, but I really don't want to throw parts at it for no reason. The car does have an aftermarket alarm that hasn't ever worked, and the battery is relocated into the trunk. All 3 fuses for the possitive cable are good, and the ground is 0 guage wire and is grounded to the floor in the trunk.

New parts that shouldnt be causing it:

s300
fuel filter
s2 im and tb
rc 550s
headgasket
plugs
wires
fpr
fuel rail
fuel lines
fuel pump
all new larger then oem ground wires(doesn't have one going to the tranny because of the battery relocation.

And I did check the distributor harnesses for any lose connections, ripped insulation, corrosion, ect. My test light broke, but I will be getting a new one tonight if trying the other dizzy doesn't fix it. Any ideas would be helpful. I want it back on the road for a meet tonight!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 b16 coupe, fast crank no start

Tried an oem jdm b16 dizzy and another one set up for msd with my blaster coil and a friends blaster coil. Still no spark. Tach still doesnt move when cranking. soeone help!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and it isn't cranking fast. It was just me being paranoid.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so there are no popped fuses, yellow and black wire still has power, msd coil is hooked up right now and the coil has power. tach still doesnt move when cranking, but the tach in s300 still moves when cranking. fuel pump primes, cel comes on when in the run position and shuts off after a couple seconds, battery and brake light stay on until cranking. Is there ANYTHING anyone can think of besides both used distributors ive tried are bad? Ive checked all of the wires in the wiring harness except for the ones that go through the dash to the guage cluster. i will be pulling the dash off tonight though. ANY help would be appreciated.