Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 sol roof leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sol roof leak?

Hi
I got this nasty leak in the back from driver side.
I did the "washer trick" (bringing down the roof 3mm to get it tighter) hoping it will fix it but leak is still there.

So i think water is coming in from there.

All this area was wet even after few days of rain
(dont look the arrows)

Coming in from under this plastic

Running dow to speaker covers and all over the place

Passenger side is okay.
Any ideas how to fix it?
I also got little trunk leak but i dont know if it got anything to do with it.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 93 sol roof leak?

If it has a sunroof..did you blow out the drainage tubes with compressed air?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure what do you mean by sunroof.
It has regular targa top.
Where can i find drainage tubes?

Sorry for stupid questions :D
Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same leak on my 93. I used some silicon spray but you should use grease on it let it sit, wiped it off then repeat a few times. It stopped leaking. It's been 6 months so far still dry.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its actually probably coming in thru the front. That gasket was poorly designed, and they fixed it in 95 and up. It should shed water in front, instead it channels down the sides to the back, and then it gets inside.

Do like Jimi said, use low pressure air, and blow out the front and back weep holes. Should be able to see the lil hole in each one. Both front and back on each sides. .

If that doesn't fix it, try to puff em up with Honda Gasket treatment, not silicone. (apply several times,over several days, it will take a while to rejuvenate a 23 yr old car)

Then, if it still leaks... order the replacement gasket for the front, (all years are the same now), and undo the washer trick (it will wear out your new EXPENSIVE gasket prematurely) for a while and see if that does it..

If not, then try to find good used sides and back, or hope you can order them. (another current post with a member who was looking for them)

Majestic says they have them, so try here... Honda Automotive Parts

Honda Automotive Parts

And good luck. We have unique cars with unique problems lol.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your advice guys.
I will try the pressure air.

I used silicone spray few times, leaks in the corner of a-pillar are better now.

But place is leaking even when car is standing in front of my house and its raining
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JarvisW

If that doesn't fix it, try to puff em up with Honda Gasket treatment, not silicone. (apply several times,over several days, it will take a while to rejuvenate a 23 yr old car)
do you happen to know the part number or anything for this, I asked about what they use for the rubber seals when I was there last time and it was a silicone spray.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Sol to Sol

Yeah, Its been so long since I was messing with this I forgotten everything I've been trying...

I did silicone on a rag, and that worked ok, but left the seals kinda sticky or something and comes off on my hands when I move the top. Then I did Die-electric grease, and it helped a bit too, but neither is really whats recommended and both come off on your hands months/years later. (DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF OIL BASED PRODUCTS OR IT WILL DISINTEGRATE THE SEALS!!)

I ended up just replacing the front one, and it fixed my dads car. Mine still leaks, but I got a used 95 one and its got some cracks/rips and hardened paint overspray on it, so it needs to be replaced.. AGAIN lol

I park in a garage, or use a tarp, (and mine does not leak as bad as dads did) so its been like 6 years since I remembered what the real stuff was called (also thought it was in the FSM, but could not find it under the roof or maint areas)...

Anyway, we are supposed to use SHIN-ETSU GREASE on our seals. Honda dealer has it for about 2x as much as a famous internet site named for a river.. or was it warrior women.. either way..

Get that, CLEAN the seals with simple green and a toothbrush and rag. Some recommend they be taken off and soaked in a bucket of simple green solution while its cleaned, and it gives an opportunity to clean the debris out from behind the seals before that turns into rust. Then apply the grease, sit overnight, clean excess off, and install (if removed)

Keep applying every few days until it works or you give up and buy new seals.. lol.

ALSO, if you have the 93-4 front seal NO AMOUNT OF PUFFING UP WILL FIX IT. They were designed poorly, if you can compare to the newer ones you will see what I mean. They added a lil flap to it, if you dont have an obvious flap at the top of each door side, and the car is pre 95 then you need to replace it.

Good luck all!!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried these steps yet???

Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Sol to Sol

Ah HA! I KNEW I saw that page before! lol. That was over 6 yrs ago tho lol..

And yes, thats the Honda # for Shin Etsu grease I also knew existed! lol

Thanks!