93 Sol LED blinker / flasher relay

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Icon5 93 Sol LED blinker / flasher relay

93 Del Sol Si
230k+

I have converted almost every bulb on my Sol to LED. Now with only the turn signals left i have ran into a hiccup. I cant seem to positively identify the blinker relay, or determine if there is 1 or 2 separate relays. I bought what i believed to be the right part, though after getting under the dash today I seem to have been led astray. As it doesn't fit any of the plugs in that area. I have multiple diagrams but they don't exactly match whats actually under the dash. I have my theory that the relay furthest too the left is what needs a replacement as it has references to light written on it, but cant seem to find a LED relay of that style (6pin). If someone would kindly shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Purchased Flasher: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...chTerm=blinker

TLDR:
Which relay is the blinker / flasher relay?
What replacement relay do i need to quell the hyper flashing of LED turn signals and hazards?

Under dash - Main relay on right -
Name:  2016_0323_084704_003.JPG
Views: 4254
Size:  223.0 KB

#14 is the confirmed relay
Name:  tURN SIGNAL RELAY DIAGRAM  (1).png
Views: 3705
Size:  279.2 KB

Name:  tURN SIGNAL RELAY DIAGRAM  (Listings).png
Views: 3311
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  weirind diagram flasher.png
Views: 4365
Size:  419.5 KB

Name:  dash connectors.png
Views: 4414
Size:  235.4 KB

Last edited by Nave43; 11-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 93 Sol LED blinker / flasher relay

The relay purchased from Advance Auto is not the correct part.

The turn signal/hazard relay is the one on the left in the photo.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Global Moderator

I don't believe there is plug and play flasher for LEDs equivalent for the Mitsuba FR-3501 relay.

Options:
1. If you have some soldering skills, you can replace the shunt resistor inside the Mitsuba relay with a 0.12 ohm, 1 watt resistor to quell the hyper-flashing. This link from an NSX site has the instructions: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108273&d=1387136905

or

2. Install load resistors on the wires for the turn signals.

Option 1 looks to be the best.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, just the clarification i needed! Having the wrong part that looked quite a lot like the other relays threw me off. It seems the relay I bought is for 96-00 civics and the Sol takes something special. That being said i cant find a LED compatible flasher that matches it anywhere. I really don't want to go the load resistor route to correct the flash rate as they sacrifice efficiency. That being said the allure of the safety of brighter modern lights is quite the motivator.

edit: Adding a resistor to the relay itself seems like a good idea, reading pdf now
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I also converted all the lighting in my 94 Sedan to LED. I ended up ordering an LED flasher unit from super bright leds. After sending one back, I realized that the only other option on their site didn't fit either, without any modification. I ended up having to cut the plastic "walls" where the old flasher went. The fit still wasn't that great, but it has held for over a year without issue. Best thing is, it's adjustable.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
I also converted all the lighting in my 94 Sedan to LED. I ended up ordering an LED flasher unit from super bright leds. After sending one back, I realized that the only other option on their site didn't fit either, without any modification. I ended up having to cut the plastic "walls" where the old flasher went. The fit still wasn't that great, but it has held for over a year without issue. Best thing is, it's adjustable.
Do you know which model you bought? Also did you have to splice a new plug? I cant find anything on their site even close to this pin-out

Originally Posted by tech8

Options:
1. If you have some soldering skills, you can replace the shunt resistor inside the Mitsuba relay with a 0.12 ohm, 1 watt resistor to quell the hyper-flashing. This link from an NSX site has the instructions: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108273&d=1387136905

With the price of these OEM relays I think i will wait till my next you pull trip to try the relay retrofit. I am curious as to if this addresses the issue of efficiency brought on by inline resistors or simply burns the power off else ware, looking for a thread referencing peoples experience with the mod.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nave43
Do you know which model you bought? Also did you have to splice a new plug? I cant find anything on their site even close to this pin-out
For some reason, it says they're both unavailable. Other than trimming the plastic, it was plug and play. However, I wouldn't recommend this since it's kind of a rig. It wokrs though haha
Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like that is a delSol only part. The regular 5th generation Civic uses a more conventional relay that plugs into the fuse box.

Changing the resistor inside the relay would recalibrate the current sensor function that detects bad bulbs for the lower current of LEDs. The LEDs still use low power, and it will blink at the normal rate instead of fast because it thinks that a bulb is bad.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Nave43
Originally Posted by LiteraCola
For some reason, it says they're both unavailable. Other than trimming the plastic, it was plug and play. However, I wouldn't recommend this since it's kind of a rig. It wokrs though haha
Originally Posted by mk378
Looks like that is a delSol only part. The regular 5th generation Civic uses a more conventional relay that plugs into the fuse box.

Changing the resistor inside the relay would recalibrate the current sensor function that detects bad bulbs for the lower current of LEDs. The LEDs still use low power, and it will blink at the normal rate instead of fast because it thinks that a bulb is bad.
As mk378 indicated, the relay for the Del Sol and LiteraCola's Civic sedan are different; so, you won't find one for the Del Sol at Superbright LEDs, etc.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you everyone for the help and clarification. I can add this to the list of the ways the 92-95 civic distinguish themselves.

My plan as of now is to shop salvage yards till i can find an OEM relay on the cheap. As i do not want to risk my current and perfectly working unit. At that point I will try out the mod and update this thread to hopefully shed a bit more light for future Sol owning searchers.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech8
I don't believe there is plug and play flasher for LEDs equivalent for the Mitsuba FR-3501 relay.

Options:

or

2. Install load resistors on the wires for the turn signals.

Option 1 looks to be the best.
I know this thread is old but does anyone know how did he gets 0.12ohm in his calculation ?