Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Si keeps going into limp mode and isn't throwing a code

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Si keeps going into limp mode and isn't throwing a code

Alright, so I've been struggling with this problem for some months now and I'm finally about ready to just take it to some honda garage and let them mess with it. The only thing keeping me from doing that this very instant is because I don't feel like paying out the *** for some simple problem. So I'm putting this problem out there for anyone to help who can help. It's a d16z6, all the fluids are fine and it runs strong, except for when it decides to go into limp mode which could be up to every time I start the car, to never at all just depends on the day it seems. I have found that it tends to go into it more when the engine is at OT and then turned off, only to come back a few minutes later to turn it back on. It also 99% of the time goes into limp mode if stalled in reverse. The thing is I could be driving normally and all of the sudden the damn thing starts cutting power, getting it back and bucks around. The times when it's running strong I can take it anywhere on the rev band I want and she'll go fine.

Some other weird things I've noticed are that whenever it goes into limp mode, probably only about 15% of the time it throws a CEL, otherwise it gives me nothing. And then when I try to check it the times it gives a code it won't stay on for me to check it. Also when it does go into limp mode, I've found that if I'm already driving on the road I just turn it off as I'm going, turn her back on and most the time she's golden again. Finally, while trying to figure out where the problem is at whenever I start touching the wires around the dizzy (ill show below) sometimes it you barely touch them the engine will die, but if you try and shake them around they'll do nothing. To me it sounds like some electrical problem with the dizzy possibly? Not too sure. Plus I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere because after the engine is at OT the idle starts fluctuating between about 500 and 800 sometimes it gets more violent than that and if I pump the brake pedal then the rpms rise. So I think I have more than one problem going on here. Let me know if you guys have any experience with tis before or what, any help will suffice.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 Si keeps going into limp mode and isn't throwing a code

Here are the pics of the wiring that seems to be the touchy stuff:

Name:  DSCN0334.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  182.8 KB
Name:  DSCN0336.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  157.5 KB