Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Si Hatchback Daily Driver Build - B21 All Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default 93 Si Hatchback Daily Driver Build - B21 All Motor

Just to be frank, this will probably be a fairly "half-assed" build thread... I've been moving around a lot lately and had a couple job changes, so this won't be the most consistent progress. I just felt like sharing a bit of what I've gotten done so far. May not look like much, but a lot of time has already gone into fixing this car. Wish I had documented more, it was a heap when I bought it.

Goal is a full restoration more or less, with some well placed upgrades. End result will likely be a Civic that costs me $20K+, yolo.

Pictures don't do justice to how bad the shape of the car was when I first picked it up. There was a crease along the frame on the roof, the driver's fender was completely smashed and the headlight was loose in the socket and had to be held with ducktape... Sunroof glass was cracked and sealed shut with RTV... The entire exterior of the car was more or less replaced.

I also found more damage to the interior of the car than I had initially picked up on. One of the previous owners had done a HORRIFIC hack job of trying to wire in some generic-fog lights. I don't even know where to start with all the electrical issues of this car, and what I've fixed and unearthed since picking it up. Random wires tapped and spliced into other necessary components, relays and distribution blocks that go nowhere, etc... I also later found out this guy had completely ripped the climate/radio bezel out of the dash, and ruined all of the mounting supports. Needless to say, I was not very happy with finding all this out.

Photos here somehow got ruined, I'm re-uploading some old ones in no particular order:

Last edited by Chance EG; 12-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Si Hatchback Daily Driver Build - B21 All Motor

One neat fact is I'm actually only the second registered owner of this car, minus the older woman who purchased it new off the showroom floor in 1993. The only other person to own this car was her nephew, who unfortunately was also the one who did the hack wiring job and interior damage, as well as got into a couple wrecks in the vehicle that were never properly fixed.

Additionally, despite being a Texas car this vehicle was from Houston, which does see a bit more salt than most other Texas cities which also left me with some rust and bad grounds to deal with.

The poke on the wheels/tires right now is hideous with the stock shocks/springs. The coilovers and camber kit should be able to correct that quite a bit; All 4 corners are already rolled flat with a slight pull. The wheels are 225/45/15, 15x8 +20. It'll be tight but should look OK once configured on proper suspension.

I'm currently away from the car so it'll be a little until my next update... I have more current parts to install and I also have some smaller things I'd like to get done prior to the suspension (gonna have that poke life for a bit... ricer). I'll be sure to take more pictures in the future to hopefully make the thread a bit more interesting.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
260+WHP from a 2.1L (86x89) B20 VTEC build on 93 octane. I want to have an all motor B series
Is that WHP even remotely possible with a n/a B20 engine? or B21: the b21ai is from a 90-91 prelude si
edit: 2.1L, 140 HP, 135 ft. lbs tq, max hp 5800, max torque 5000
Read: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...ation-1467903/
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Is that WHP even remotely possible with a n/a B20 engine?
Read: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...ation-1467903/
Basing it off other builds I've read into, and Evan's dyno databases I think it should be achievable with the right combination of parts.

I'll be doing a full 74mm intake & throttle, Port matched/polished Ultra Street manifold with plenum spacing, CNC ported head with Pro 2 cams and valvetrain, 12.5:1 compression on the block and revving out to 9K. Blox 4-2-1 headers with stepped primaries, and I'm chopping off the 2.5" collector and welding on a conical 2.5"->3" flange to run a full straight 3" exhaust. Eventually I'm going to do an MR2 electric power steering conversion as well which will free up some parasitic loss off the PS pump. LA sleeves for 86x89, 2.068l displacement

I think there are several reasons why you don't normally see such high output from an NA street B series engine, but I also don't think that it should be impossible if using the right combination of parts. I think 260 is about the most I could realistically hope for, but I'm just going to wind it out as high as I reasonably can. There's nothing on my parts list that should really be considered "extreme" for what's going into the engine. Should be dead reliable.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice! I have a '94 Si, also black. My clear coat did not die as hard as yours, but looks similar...

Questions - where did you get the hood? Do you like the fit?

Are those JDM fenders with a marker light hole? Where did you get those?

I need to clean up my front end sheetmetal...

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Nice! I have a '94 Si, also black. My clear coat did not die as hard as yours, but looks similar...

Questions - where did you get the hood? Do you like the fit?

Are those JDM fenders with a marker light hole? Where did you get those?

I need to clean up my front end sheetmetal...

Thanks!
I bought the hood from "Express_Aero_Kits" on eBay; It's a Seibon hood. The fitment looks really good on both left/right side but the body shop had some minor issues with the hood latch not quite reaching correctly. The car right now is out of state so I'll have to look at it more a bit later to see exactly what's up (I'm about to be moving to Texas, where the car currently is). Not too worried about it, the hood otherwise lays perfectly.

The fenders are just the standard ones, I cut the holes for the side markers myself using a template and a dremel. There's a lot of DIY posts and even some videos online on how to do it.

One DIY - https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighti...-hour-2352107/

Here's the template - https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighti...plate-2571230/

Plans for the car once I get back to the state are to complete the interior and finish up any last odds and ends on the exterior (very minor things like painting the wiper blades, things like that). I'll be posting a lot more pictures so I can actually have a halfway decent build thread after that.

Also, at some point I'll try to get the title changed for this post. After more research I found out I can't reliably bump the displacement of a B series up to 2.1L even with sleeves without using a stroker kit. The bore I was planning on using is too large.

Depending on funding I'll either be doing a K24 or a GTX2860R B series. It'll be awhile until I have the cash for the powerplant though. Still need to get the car on suspension and coilovers so I can fix the horrendous ride height and wheel fitment lol.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

I bought the hood from "Express_Aero_Kits" on eBay; It's a Seibon hood. The fitment looks really good on both left/right side but the body shop had some minor issues with the hood latch not quite reaching correctly. The car right now is out of state so I'll have to look at it more a bit later to see exactly what's up (I'm about to be moving to Texas, where the car currently is). Not too worried about it, the hood otherwise lays perfectly.

The fenders are just the standard ones, I cut the holes for the side markers myself using a template and a dremel. There's a lot of DIY posts and even some videos online on how to do it.

One DIY - https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighti...-hour-2352107/

Here's the template - https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighti...plate-2571230/

Plans for the car once I get back to the state are to complete the interior and finish up any last odds and ends on the exterior (very minor things like painting the wiper blades, things like that). I'll be posting a lot more pictures so I can actually have a halfway decent build thread after that.

Also, at some point I'll try to get the title changed for this post. After more research I found out I can't reliably bump the displacement of a B series up to 2.1L even with sleeves without using a stroker kit. The bore I was planning on using is too large.

Depending on funding I'll either be doing a K24 or a GTX2860R B series. It'll be awhile until I have the cash for the powerplant though. Still need to get the car on suspension and coilovers so I can fix the horrendous ride height and wheel fitment lol.
Thanks! I found the hood: 92-95 Honda Civic 2DR/HB (Eh2/3 Or Eg6) Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM Body Kit-Hood!! but that is ~2x OEM hood...

I will look forward to your suspension posts!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Updates?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updates?
I was planning on doing an end of the year update, in hopes that I actually finish some things that are significant. I'm not very good at documenting my work lol.

Life has been getting in the way a bit lately. New job, new city, newly single.

Anyway, car is on coilovers + camber kit all around now:
Progress CSII 450/350 Coilovers
S2 Pro Front & Rear camber kit

Also got new headlights with much better fitment (front end still needs a fair bit of adjustment in other areas) and smoked corners. Also got new gold locking lug nuts which really helps give a "complete" look to the black/gold wheels.

A lot of other small things have been fixed/replaced: New trunk lock, new passenger door handle, repaired ignition cylinder, rewired some of my spaghetti mess behind the dash... I also have a full rear seat delete kit from Kdezine's that I'll post photos of once I have installed, my interior should finally look pretty complete after that.

Small hiccups and things keep taking up my time. I realize more and more how poor the condition of this car was when I purchased it, I really should have held out and waited to find a cleaner Si. Today the glass on the sunroof flew off on the highway, slammed into my passenger door, and the only thing that stopped it from falling onto the ground and shattering was the gasket clinging for dear life. The glass split from the epoxy that holds it to the frame, there was a small lip on the front of the sunroof that was catching air and letting it get pulled up.

Anyway, now I need to get that fixed. Hoping to have the funds for a B16 swap this Winter, going to run that stock for awhile and eventually do a semi-custom turbo build based on Go-Auto's RR kit.

Pics of the car on new suspension:

Also, if a mod happens to see this and could change the title to just read "93 Si Hatchback Daily Driver Build", I would appreciate it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:24 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Gratz and condolences on the newly single.

at the glass coming off. Scary, dude.

Car looks pretty good. Lines are fairly straight on the doors and quarters. Meaty *** tires.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Gratz and condolences on the newly single.

at the glass coming off. Scary, dude.

Car looks pretty good. Lines are fairly straight on the doors and quarters. Meaty *** tires.
It's all good, and thank you . The car will be going back into a paint booth at some point for some needed touch-ups, but it's definitely looking a lot better overall now on the exterior.

I should have gotten a picture of the glass actually hanging off the side of the car, but you get the idea. Honestly got very lucky there wasn't more damage to the passenger door or any glass that actually shattered when it fell, could have been way worse. On the plus side I already have a full sunroof assembly sitting in storage that I've been waiting to put in anyway, just wish I had adjusted that alignment on the current roof before I killed what was a perfectly good glass insert.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice updates!

Never heard of moonroof glass separating like that. Holy ****.

Question regarding your proposed engine set-up:

Why B series at all?

Why not H23A blue top, or even an F20B (they are retarded cheap) with an H2B set-up? I think your whp goals will be easier to achieve without needing to go ridiculous on CR, and you could retain more streetable reliability if you start with the H.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Nice updates!

Never heard of moonroof glass separating like that. Holy ****.

Question regarding your proposed engine set-up:

Why B series at all?

Why not H23A blue top, or even an F20B (they are retarded cheap) with an H2B set-up? I think your whp goals will be easier to achieve without needing to go ridiculous on CR, and you could retain more streetable reliability if you start with the H.
Thanks, always a lot more work to be done but it's headed in the right direction. Just doing things as time + budget allow.

I'm not sure if you saw my ramblings up above, but I realized that a 2.1L B series isn't possible without excess bore or a stroker crank, which I'm not interested in for a daily. I'm pretty dead-set now on going the turbo route, going to test out one of the new Gen 2 GTX2860's and see how it does.

I considered the H/F route, but unfortunately there's no way to run AC with an H2B setup on an EG or DC2 chassis. I'll post more updates here once I get the moon roof fixed and the interior (more) completed.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I considered the H/F route, but unfortunately there's no way to run AC with an H2B setup on an EG or DC2 chassis. I'll post more updates here once I get the moon roof fixed and the interior (more) completed.
It's possible in an EK, so why not an EG? I'm sure it's been done.

Some people just aren't into the H anyways, and if you're going boost you might as well hang into all the bay space you can. If boosting then you can't go wrong with The B.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, the car is looking great!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
It's possible in an EK, so why not an EG? I'm sure it's been done.

Some people just aren't into the H anyways, and if you're going boost you might as well hang into all the bay space you can. If boosting then you can't go wrong with The B.
I'd have to look up the documentation again, but Innovative makes a bracket for AC in the EK with an H22. If you're using an H2B setup however, it pushes the block closer to the driver's frame rail, and you'll need a D series compressor and also need to bash in that rail for clearance.

That's on an EK, I'm quite positive that on an EG your spatial constraints would be even worse between the engine and the frame rail, rendering this impossible without hacking the living **** out of your car haha (it may be possible, but it's relatively uncharted territory and not a route I'm willing to risk).

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
Wow, the car is looking great!
Thanks man, I should be able to get my replacement moonroof in during this next week. I'll definitely post more pictures once I get my interior re-assembled. Car is in need of a good wash/wax too.

I'll make it a priority to get some better photos and make this topic a bit more exciting in the next couple weeks . May go back and fix the images that have 404'd above as well...
Old 09-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Life has been getting in the way a bit lately. New job, new city, newly single.
Ouch, hang on man!

Old 10-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, I should be able to get my replacement moonroof in during this next week. I'll definitely post more pictures once I get my interior re-assembled. Car is in need of a good wash/wax too.

I'll make it a priority to get some better photos and make this topic a bit more exciting in the next couple weeks . May go back and fix the images that have 404'd above as well...

How about gut all the sunroof stuff and replace with a carbon plug??

I know about life getting in the way. I was planning a huge build, then got married and bought a house instead lol.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
How about gut all the sunroof stuff and replace with a carbon plug??

I know about life getting in the way. I was planning a huge build, then got married and bought a house instead lol.
Very briefly considered a CF plug, but the entire point of getting the Si was to have a functioning sunroof (which the car has lacked since I got it, the motor/electronics have always been shot). Getting a plug would be the equivalent of me giving up.

I have a full assembly - Rails, glass, gasket, motor, all ready to drop in. Should get it done this week, with the motor functioning properly for the first time in what's likely been several years for this car.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Cool, I hope you get the sun/moon roof functional...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slow progress as usual, but pretty excited about this. Dropped the headliner and swapped the full sunroof assembly. Was completely plug and play, and the new motor is working great. The glass moves appropriately for what's probably the first time in 10 years! Also made sure there's no lip on the front gasket this time for air to pull on...

Car is in desperate need of some good cleaning all around. I have a lot of parts for the interior that have just been sitting around for awhile; I'm going to put some dynaliner in the rear and fix the last couple electrical gremlins before laying in the full interior.

Also have started saving for the B16 swap. Hoping to have the swap purchased by late November, and the swap done by Christmas/January. I'll keep the engine mostly stock before going turbo.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Did you get a new motor for the sunroof, or just new to your car? Sounds like it made a big difference...
Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you get a new motor for the sunroof, or just new to your car? Sounds like it made a big difference...
New to my car. I've actually had this waiting since last year, was lucky enough to get the entire assembly (motor, rails, glass, gasket, even hardware) from a guy in Kansas for $100, and it was in great condition. I bench tested the motor when I bought it so I already knew this one worked, just never got around to actually swapping everything.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome work! Looks good.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

New to my car. I've actually had this waiting since last year, was lucky enough to get the entire assembly (motor, rails, glass, gasket, even hardware) from a guy in Kansas for $100, and it was in great condition. I bench tested the motor when I bought it so I already knew this one worked, just never got around to actually swapping everything.
Nice! Did you rebuild the assembly while it was on the bench? I am wondering if I just go through and clean my tracks and put new lube on if it will function better? Did you refresh the grease on the tracks?

Quick Reply: 93 Si Hatchback Daily Driver Build - B21 All Motor