Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 SI hatchback build ideas. d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 SI hatchback build ideas. d16z6

hey everyone, i have a 1993 civic si hatchback, 250k miles on the original engine. 100% bone stock besides ignition. not riced out or anything. even has the stock air box. engine is very healthy, full compression, runs very smooth.

now, i love this car.. its such a sweet daily driver as is.. gutted everything to the back of the front seats. i drive alone or with my gf so i done need the back seats or rear interior. and i thought the weight shed would be nice. i also deleted the A/C. and want to delete the power steering next.

what should i do to achieve 200whp? thats really all i want for this car.. maybe 225.. will do auto x when its done being built.

i also want to stay with the z6. i dont really want to do a swap... heres what i thought might be a good list of engine mods.. this will all be on a budget, and will be buying one part at a time most likely. heres the list..

skunk2 springs/ struts
valve stem seals
clutch kit, throw out bearing, light flywheel
new exhaust manifold/ header
power steering delete/ create loop for steering rack
weight reduction anywhere i can

new bearings, piston rods , rings , and honing
eagle rods, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, Acura Integra Honda ZC P29. 1.6 Liter D16A1 Pistons w/ Rings

t3/t4 turbo kit, honestly dont want much boost because of my power goals. so a small turbo will do.
new engine manigment/ ecu or tuning software or chip

alright, so i did some research, and those d16A1 pistons are supposed to raise my compression, is this correct?

will i be able to run regular 89 octane gas with this setup?

opinions please.. on a budget.. if you can think of a better build please inform me. thanks!

Name:  ahsuUYd.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  96.5 KB
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 SI hatchback build ideas. d16z6

Rose Funeral

Slimey valley???

200 is def turbo territory, Although if Auto-x or road course is your primary goal I would def research different turbine options and setups that accomodate your target spool characteristics needed for this type of use.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In your position I would swap rather than boost for auto-x and what not. Could build a mean B20V or swap an H22 or something. It would likely be more reliable and cheaper plus you could always boost your swap later if you want more.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i *could* swap. but i would really like to keep the original engine. i wouldnt really have help with a swap, and dont have a truck to haul an engine from the scrap yard lol. so my only reasonable option would be to build what i have. for now. until i do have the resources for a swap
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With the exception of ARP head studs I wouldn't try rebuilding the engine, especially with those pistons. If you plan on cracking the motor open to swap internals you might as well build it for boost.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
Rose Funeral

Slimey valley???

200 is def turbo territory, Although if Auto-x or road course is your primary goal I would def research different turbine options and setups that accomodate your target spool characteristics needed for this type of use.
yeah im not sure what turbo to go with. i just thought the t3/t4 would be a good place to start. dont need too much boost, whatever it takes to get to 200whp. which shouldnt be much
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
With the exception of ARP head studs I wouldn't try rebuilding the engine, especially with those pistons. If you plan on cracking the motor open to swap internals you might as well build it for boost.
hmmm.. if i was gonna do more boost i would need lower compression pistons, right? vitara pistons would work i think?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
The Grumpiest

No you do not "need" lower compression pistons. If you did you wouldn't be able to boost a stock engine.

I'm going to STRONGLY suggest you read the FAQs over in the Forced Induction section and educate yourself.

But first you might want to state what budget you're working with otehrwise all this planning might be a waste of time.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RoseFuneral
yeah i *could* swap. but i would really like to keep the original engine. i wouldnt really have help with a swap, and dont have a truck to haul an engine from the scrap yard lol. so my only reasonable option would be to build what i have. for now. until i do have the resources for a swap
Uhhh I can tell you right now an engine swap will be MUCH easier than boosting... Tuning will be a bitch too you'd probably have to tow the car to Omaha/Lincoln/Kansas City for a decent tune. If you do a swap you can get everything together while your car is still drive-able. If you boost your car will be down for days/weeks/months. Plus you can always sell your old Z6 for a good chunk of change.

Just my .02.

Edit - I swear I've seen that car on craigslist before for like $1000...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Uhhh I can tell you right now an engine swap will be MUCH easier than boosting... Tuning will be a bitch too you'd probably have to tow the car to Omaha/Lincoln/Kansas City for a decent tune. If you do a swap you can get everything together while your car is still drive-able. If you boost your car will be down for days/weeks/months. Plus you can always sell your old Z6 for a good chunk of change.

Just my .02.

Edit - I swear I've seen that car on craigslist before for like $1000...
nah it wasnt on craigslist, completely different state. i live in iowa.

as far as tuning goes, there is a few places here where i live that do tuning, not sure how thorough or how good they are. i live in Des Moines.

as far as budget goes..

it will take me some time to get all the engine internals together. probably a month or so. priced all of it out. the turbo would come at a later time. i dont want to do it ASAP. maybe by august.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
The Grumpiest

If I were you I'd go talk to all of those tuners since one of them will be doing the tuning. Find out what they recommend. As all the questions you possibly can.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If I were you I'd go talk to all of those tuners since one of them will be doing the tuning. Find out what they recommend. As all the questions you possibly can.
il be going to do that as soon as i get the engine built.

i just need some opinions on the right build for this engine to make 200whp with a small-ish turbo

alright, im thinking naturally aspirated for now.. i just checked and i have some things to pay off in august..

so:

eagle rods, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, Acura Integra Honda ZC P29. 1.6 Liter D16A1 Pistons w/ Rings, thicker than stock head gasket , new stem seals, and a high volume oil pump.

will this setup work with my engine? and 89 octane pump gas?

Last edited by RoseFuneral; 02-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

il be going to do that as soon as i get the engine built.

i just need some opinions on the right build for this engine to make 200whp with a small-ish turbo

alright, im thinking naturally aspirated for now.. i just checked and i have some things to pay off in august..

so:

eagle rods, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, Acura Integra Honda ZC P29. 1.6 Liter D16A1 Pistons w/ Rings, thicker than stock head gasket , new stem seals, and a high volume oil pump.

will this setup work with my engine? and 89 octane pump gas?

Im not to fond of NA D-series builds, but?????

and why 89?????
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
Im not to fond of NA D-series builds, but?????

and why 89?????
well the 89 octane is the cheapest here. hahah.

im looking for somewhere around 11:1 compression. because i can still use pump 89 gas. i could go to 91 but its more expensive.

im actually looking at these right now..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Integr...2b7221&vxp=mtr

and using this compression chart it says il have almost 11:1 with the PG6 pistons from an 86-87 integra

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You aren't going to want to use anything less than 91 octane on any kind of "built" motor. You'll get pinging and what not especially with boost.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFfin Sedan 91
You aren't going to want to use anything less than 91 octane on any kind of "built" motor. You'll get pinging and what not especially with boost.
alright i can do 91. no big deal. but would the pistons i have picked out work?

looks like i may use the 88-89 integra pistons and a thicker head gasket to get the compression under 12.

i think it would be 11.66:1 with a d16a6 head gasket..

would like someone with some experience to chime in please haha
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found this:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f87/...mation-189022/

Should be pretty helpful for your questions.

I'm assuming that since it is from a 1.6 engine and they included it with the rest of those pistons they would fit.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFfin Sedan 91
I found this:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f87/...mation-189022/

Should be pretty helpful for your questions.

I'm assuming that since it is from a 1.6 engine and they included it with the rest of those pistons they would fit.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
sweet, thanks for the info.

i did a bit more research and it looks like i can run the P29 pistons with a thicker head gasket.. so the compression wont be way too high that way.. im thinking the cometic 2.5mm head gasket.. .098" thick

using the calculator it tells me i should have 11:3:1 compression.. which would give me a nice gain, and still be able to turbo in the future.. correct me if im wrong

edit: it appears that the P29 pistons have a nice peak, but the piston to deck height is 0.040 below the deck.. so i wont need a head gasket quite as thick..
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Why mess with the motor if you are going to AUTOx it? What group will you be running it with? What classes do they have? What class will you run? Do you have any seat time?

I would personally keep it the way it is and AUTOx it it some then determine what you want with it. That motor is more than enough to start with.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Why mess with the motor if you are going to AUTOx it? What group will you be running it with? What classes do they have? What class will you run? Do you have any seat time?

I would personally keep it the way it is and AUTOx it it some then determine what you want with it. That motor is more than enough to start with.
im not 100% sure what class ill be in. i have a few months to figure that out, but i just want a nice build to start with. and add on later if i wanted too. i know my suspension needs work also. thats on the list of things to do.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

im not 100% sure what class ill be in. i have a few months to figure that out, but i just want a nice build to start with. and add on later if i wanted too. i know my suspension needs work also. that's on the list of things to do.
Figure it out before you start messing with your car. If you do one thing you could be in a class with cars that have huge money dumped in them, and while it is still fun to drive you will never have a chance of finishing well.

Also it is way more fun to run the car a season stock then see what you need to improve.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Figure it out before you start messing with your car. If you do one thing you could be in a class with cars that have huge money dumped in them, and while it is still fun to drive you will never have a chance of finishing well.

Also it is way more fun to run the car a season stock then see what you need to improve.
you make a good point, but this is a learning experience for me also, never built a honda motor before. besides, if i dont run auto x i would still like a fun car this summer. i priced out the pistons, rods, bearings, rings, head gasket, pan gasket, oil pump, and assembly lube for under 1k.

also, we have a track here out of town that does regualr time trials too, so it wont all be auto x. im not looking for a crap ton of power until i decide to throw a turbo on it. looking for maybe 150whp without a turbo

edit: i may have to run stock anyway this year, it might take me some time to get all the parts together for my build anyway. i just want to be 100% certain on my build so i can price it all out and have it not change on me last minute
Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As was stated earlier... run it stock and get some seat time.
Myth: you need horsepower to be fast... this is a myth.
I know many a good driver that can drive the wheels off a bone stock car, and put better times up in a TA competition than boosted or high hp vehicles.
Its not the car thats fast... its the driver!
Leave it alone and go have some fun with it.
Just when you think your as fast as you can get with it... watch there will be someone faster than you in a less hp'd car.
Learn your racecraft first.
Leave all the suspension upgrades and go fast parts off the car and go learn.
Go fast parts dont always complement a car and make it better.
Sometimes they have the opposite effect!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
As was stated earlier... run it stock and get some seat time.
Myth: you need horsepower to be fast... this is a myth.
I know many a good driver that can drive the wheels off a bone stock car, and put better times up in a TA competition than boosted or high hp vehicles.
Its not the car thats fast... its the driver!
Leave it alone and go have some fun with it.
Just when you think your as fast as you can get with it... watch there will be someone faster than you in a less hp'd car.
Learn your racecraft first.
Leave all the suspension upgrades and go fast parts off the car and go learn.
Go fast parts dont always complement a car and make it better.
Sometimes they have the opposite effect!
In one and out the other
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i know how to drive, i raced my built 84 berlinetta camaro when i had that. the car had over 300hp. chevy 350 bored .30 over aftermarket cam, ported 4416 heads, and a built transmission.. im just switching from chevy to honda. i wanted something lighter and fun. i know what my little SI can do, and its not bad for what it is. but the reason for building the motor isnt all for track purposes.. it has 250k on it, although it doesnt smoke or anything, it could still use a rebuild because of the mileage, and why not build it a tad while im in there? if i dont race it this year it just gives me time to get used to the car more and get my parts together and ready for next year.

Quick Reply: 93 SI hatchback build ideas. d16z6