Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'93 Honda Del Sol Head Gasket Leaking (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ O I L ♥ (And More!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Honda Del Sol Head Gasket Leaking (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ O I L ♥ (And More!)

Alrighty then... Yesterday, I discovered that my engine started to leak oil. It's leaking from in between the head and the block, probably from the head gasket (refer to the photos). It must have developed within the last week or so because I know that this thing didn't leak oil the last time I checked, and the spots on the garage floor (which I didn't notice until yesterday) look quite fresh. What's worrying me is the amount of oil it's leaking. I think 5-10 drops of oil are leaking per hour (My class is an hour and I checked the spot I parked in and there was definitely more than one drop of fresh oil on the ground).I strongly disbelieve that the valve cover gasket is leaking because I replaced that myself like a pro, using Hondabond. The head gasket was replaced by the previous owner so I don't know how "correct" of a job he did. It seems he used red rtv on the head gasket though (visible in pic) and I've noticed some red chunks of rtv in my coolant reservoir; honestly, I don't know why that would be because there's no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

Anyways, what could be causing this sudden oil leak? It's a stock engine and I don't really beat on it too hard (hardly ever go to redline). Could this be a blow-by issue? Or is my head gasket about to crap out? What are your recommendations?

Also yesterday, I encountered a problem that I've never before experienced in my whole entire life. I was driving along and I noticed my heater was blowing cold air. I adjusted the temperature with the lever by sliding to cold air and then back to hot, which it did start to blow hot but turned cold again seconds later. At the same time I was messing around with the air temp, I also noticed my temperature gauge started to fluctuate; I think it rose ever so slightly when I switched the temp to hot and lower when on cold, but it never got to overheating territory. I looked in the engine bay and noticed the reservoir had lost some coolant (I don't know where to because there's no external coolant leaks).

Fast forward to this morning, I opened the radiator cap and there was a hell of a pressure-release hissing sound, like opening a gas cap. This leads me to believe there was air in the cooling system, but I don't know for sure what's going on. What do you think could have caused this? I didn't test the heater because I didn't want to screw something up before my ~35 mile commute to school and back. The temperature gauge acted normal which is good I guess.

Thx 4 ur time.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: '93 Honda Del Sol Head Gasket Leaking (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ O I L ♥ (And More!)

Originally Posted by HairyHarry
The head gasket was replaced by the previous owner so I don't know how "correct" of a job he did. It seems he used red rtv on the head gasket though (visible in pic) and I've noticed some red chunks of rtv in my coolant reservoir...

I noticed my heater was blowing cold air.

I adjusted the temperature with the lever by sliding to cold air and then back to hot, which it did start to blow hot but turned cold again seconds later.

I also noticed my temperature gauge started to fluctuate; I think it rose ever so slightly when I switched the temp to hot and lower when on cold, but it never got to overheating territory.

I...noticed the reservoir had lost some coolant (I don't know where to because there's no external coolant leaks).

I opened the radiator cap and there was a hell of a pressure-release hissing sound, like opening a gas cap.

The head gasket is blown. The previous owner did not do a proper head gasket job. If you decide to replace the head gasket again, buy the Honda head gasket and have a machine shop mill the bottom of the head flat. Do the same for the top of the block, if it is not flat. Torquing the head bolts per service manual instructions is crucial.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan

The head gasket is blown. The previous owner did not do a proper head gasket job. If you decide to replace the head gasket again, buy the Honda head gasket and have a machine shop mill the bottom of the head flat. Do the same for the top of the block, if it is not flat. Torquing the head bolts per service manual instructions is crucial.
Darn. How long until it completely gives out and mixes the coolant with the oil (and vise versa)? I don't feel any power loss while driving (yet). Should I even continue to drive it?

It is possible that the previous owner didn't do a proper job, but it's been almost two years since I bought it from him and I've daily driven it since without a problem up until now.

Last edited by HairyHarry; 11-21-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I even continue to drive it?
Stop driving the car and repair it.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Heater stops working when a bubble of air / steam / combustion gas exists in the top of the engine instead of coolant. Either all the coolant leaked out or the head gasket leaks. The bubble leads to localized overheating and damage.

It would be unusual for oil to leak from that spot. There is no oil pressure there, only the return passage that lets the oil run out of the head back down to the oil pan. If you're leaking a steady drip of motor oil while running, check stuff on the back of the engine that handles oil under pressure-- the VTEC solenoid, oil pressure switch, and oil filter.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Those look like exhaust manifold bolts, if so, that's not the back side of the engine.

And it looks like plastic timing belt cover. Possibly the cam shaft seal blew out?

I remember one of my seals would spin freely in location so I used a little Honda bond on the outside rim of the new one to prevent that going forward. I know now that was overkill and it was likely an incorrectly sized after market seal or so old it shrunk enough to not pit the case correctly.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Heater stops working when a bubble of air / steam / combustion gas exists in the top of the engine instead of coolant. Either all the coolant leaked out or the head gasket leaks. The bubble leads to localized overheating and damage.

It would be unusual for oil to leak from that spot. There is no oil pressure there, only the return passage that lets the oil run out of the head back down to the oil pan. If you're leaking a steady drip of motor oil while running, check stuff on the back of the engine that handles oil under pressure-- the VTEC solenoid, oil pressure switch, and oil filter.
Before my last drive, I filled the coolant reservoir and I switched the air temp to cold. After the ~35 mile drive, the coolant level was exactly the same but I opened the radiator cap (once engine was cold) and again with the hiss of air/pressure escaping. The engine temp was normal and did not fluctuate during the drive.

As for the oil, yes that would be a weird place for it to leak since no oil is getting in the coolant (I think).
Old 11-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Those look like exhaust manifold bolts, if so, that's not the back side of the engine.

And it looks like plastic timing belt cover. Possibly the cam shaft seal blew out?

I remember one of my seals would spin freely in location so I used a little Honda bond on the outside rim of the new one to prevent that going forward. I know now that was overkill and it was likely an incorrectly sized after market seal or so old it shrunk enough to not pit the case correctly.
Yes this is the front of the engine next to the timing belt and I guess that could be the possible source of the oil leak. How do I find out for sure?

I will try to do a compression test as soon as possible.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull off the upper timing cover. a block test will determine if you have exhaust gases in the coolant.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this thread back to life (even if it'll be a short one). Had to finish up with fall quarter and finals and other bullshit so I haven't had time to do diagnostics. But now I do.

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
pull off the upper timing cover. a block test will determine if you have exhaust gases in the coolant.
Here's my block test results. The liquid is definitely not blue like is originally was, but it's not really yellow either. I did not drain the radiator like people suggest to do, but that's because the coolant level was low enough that it was inch or so away from the tester inlet. I did two tests with the same results: green.

So is she fucked?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HG takes like 4 hrs max when taking your time
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate
HG takes like 4 hrs max when taking your time
I'm not afraid of replacing a head gasket, I'm afraid of wasting my money on a d15b7 that has had two blown head gaskets within a 2-4 year time frame.

If this engine is screwed, I'm either going to b16 swap it, or buy another car.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy another car.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

fluid looks green, test leans towards exhaust gases.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fluid looks green, test leans towards exhaust gases.
Yeah and this was only at idle. I might have turned yellow if the engine was revved.

So this absolutely means the head gasket is trash? I'm going to perform a compression test tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

or the head is cracked somewhere. with the gasket having been changed so many times, there was probably a significant overheat at some point. if that's the case, you could have a warped head or block. do you know if it was ever resurfaced?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or the head is cracked somewhere. with the gasket having been changed so many times, there was probably a significant overheat at some point. if that's the case, you could have a warped head or block. do you know if it was ever resurfaced?
I do not...

As stated before, there's no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, the exhaust doesn't blow smoke and it currently doesn't overheat. I've been daily driving the car since I made this thread and no noticeable problems, except the oil leak (I do depressurize the radiator before every drive which could be helping).

I did hear that having none of these symptoms is an indicator of a crack in the head... so is that really what's going on? I'm just trying to figure it out because I'm contemplating on buying another car and setting this thing aside for a while.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...setting this thing aside
Just drive it to the junkyard.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just drive it to the junkyard.
Oy Vey!

But I might throw a b16 in it.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

headgaskets can fail without any mixing of coolant and oil. the symptoms are based on where the failure occurs. with civics, i typically see the coolant/oil mix, but i have had two that were forcing coolant out of the reservoir without overheating, and a handful leak oil. ebay has rebuilt cylinder heads for your car for under 300 bucks, i'd go that route with new headbolts to reduce downtime and eliminate the uncertainty surrounding the current head.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

headgaskets can fail without any mixing of coolant and oil. the symptoms are based on where the failure occurs. with civics, i typically see the coolant/oil mix, but i have had two that were forcing coolant out of the reservoir without overheating, and a handful leak oil. ebay has rebuilt cylinder heads for your car for under 300 bucks, i'd go that route with new headbolts to reduce downtime and eliminate the uncertainty surrounding the current head.
It's not clear whether the head is cracked and needs replacement. This would require machine shop testing.

Both the block and head mating surfaces may be warped. Fixing would require engine removal, block disassembly, and machine shop work.

Not worth time and money for an old and tired D15B7.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

warped blocks on the d series are very rare. i have never personally seen one.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never personally seen one.
I have, as well as a warped block.

Also probably the most common cause for head gasket failure after installing a new head gasket.

Ever read a thread where an OP says that his head gasket failed soon after replacing it. It's very common.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Also probably the most common cause for head gasket failure after installing a new head gasket.

Ever read a thread where an OP says that his head gasket failed soon after replacing it. It's very common.
I can attest to this regarding an Accord (I know...not a D). Blown head gasket confirmed, threw a new head gasket on and had the head resurfaced, blew the gasket again within a month. So then I had to spend the money on another gasket, another trip to the cylinder head shop, and also taking the block to the machine shop for decking. Runs like a champ now, but I also replaced just about everything that was replacable.

I agree with muellersfan - I wouldn't sink the $ into a B7, because you're likely going to find other stuff to replace once you have it that far torn down. It gets out of hand fast when you start peeling back the layers of a tired engine.

Quick Reply: '93 Honda Del Sol Head Gasket Leaking (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ O I L ♥ (And More!)