Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   93 honda civic starting problem (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/93-honda-civic-starting-problem-2526441/)

deemy72 03-17-2009 04:57 AM

93 honda civic starting problem

I got a 93 coupe.....

sometimes I have problems starting it like when I go to start the car it wants to start but then it stop

then you hear a winding sound then a click

someone said its the starter but I got a new starter and someone said it might be the alternator or could be a wiring problem.

but this just started happening during the winter tho

I got a new battery all new terminals plugs starter alternator but didnt put it in yet

cmon honda-tech help me out

EJason 03-17-2009 05:04 AM

Re: 93 honda civic starting problem

Start with the easy stuff:

plugs --> wires --> dizzy cap --> --main relay --> fuel pressure --> fuel filter --> fuel pump

$50 at a local shop and they'll tell you for sure, might be worth it in the end to have someone with more experience figure it out, plus you know how to diagnose such a problem in the future.

weavertime1 03-17-2009 05:29 AM

The clicking leads me to believe its something in the starter as well, but if you replaced it, I would say no then. Have you checked all of your grounds? Also do you have a battery light at all?

EJason 03-17-2009 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by weavertime1 (Post 37804129)
The clicking leads me to believe its something in the starter as well, but if you replaced it, I would say no then. Have you checked all of your grounds? Also do you have a battery light at all?

When you do get it started, does the speedo jump when you flip the turn signal or brake?

honda.lioness 03-17-2009 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by deemy72 (Post 37803965)
sometimes I have problems starting it like when I go to start the car it wants to start but then it stop then you hear a winding sound then a click

Start by checking the main relay per http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

weavertime1 03-17-2009 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by honda.lioness (Post 37804148)
Start by checking the main relay per http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

A bad main relay will let the car turn over just fine...it just won't be getting fuel or "spark."

honda.lioness 03-17-2009 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by weavertime1 (Post 37804165)
A bad main relay will let the car turn over just fine

The OP said the car "wants to start," which until he clarifies further I take to mean it is turning over. He should check the main relay first. It is a common cause of a starting problem.

deemy72 03-17-2009 06:08 AM

1.the speedo doesnt jump.

2.I took it to a shop and they were being stupid since my car didnt wanna start they couldnt check it

3.where is the main relay at?

4.I check all my grounds I wanna change the one that goes from the head to the rad. support cause it lookes kinda messed up a little

5.I have to change my fuel filter but I used fuel injector cleaner but someone told me to go to a shop and do the 3step cleaner

weavertime1 03-17-2009 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by honda.lioness (Post 37804317)
The OP said the car "wants to start," which until he clarifies further I take to mean it is turning over. He should check the main relay first. It is a common cause of a starting problem.

But it wouldn't "click" as stated by the OP.

honda.lioness 03-17-2009 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by weavertime1 (Post 37804508)
But it wouldn't "click" as stated by the OP.

Go to the web site I linked above and note it says three different clicks should occur. The main relay has several soldered joints that can fail and so can cause a no-start condition while giving some-to-no clicks.

weavertime1 03-17-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by honda.lioness (Post 37804657)
Go to the web site I linked above and note it says three different clicks should occur. The main relay has several soldered joints that can fail and so can cause a no-start condition while giving some-to-no clicks.

Ok, but "then you hear a winding sound then a click" definitely does not point to this issue being a main relay problem. Unfortunately it is hard to understand what the OP is really saying beause of the way it is written, so you may be correct. OP - Please post what the actual issue was when you figure it out.

honda.lioness 03-17-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by weavertime1 (Post 37804728)
Ok, but "then you hear a winding sound then a click" definitely does not point to this issue being a main relay problem.

Come on. For all we know the winding sound is the starter. The problem may very well be the main relay; it may be something else.

Like I wrote in my first post, check the main relay first. It is a likely candidate but also easy to eliminate so the readers of this thread can move on.

bmxmacdaddy 03-17-2009 07:47 AM

Perhaps you should check the ignition switch? I have had issues with those in the past, they are on the left side of your steering column, opposite of where your key/tumbler is.

IDK if anyone answered you, but the main relay is just behind your fusebox inside the car.

check engine light?

deemy72 03-17-2009 07:48 AM

ima check the main relay when I go home to see if I hear the clicks

bmxmacdaddy 03-17-2009 07:48 AM

ooow ooow ooow! dead battery? lolololol

rick_rabies 03-17-2009 08:01 AM

starter, i had same problem. and ecu fuse was blown 7A under the hood by the battery