Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 hatch help, my car is revving and then drops it

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 hatch help, my car is revving and then drops it

im new to cars and trying to learn more about them... so bare with me.

When i am at a stand still or in neutral my car would rev a little then drop, or it sounds like its trying to stay alive or something.. i think it's a D15 engine. (stock) Is it because my fuel line is dirty or is something not working properly?

oh and can someone explain to me that i dont have to put in my clutch to start my car on neutral and my friends have to put it in first and push in clutch to start?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Default Re: 93 hatch help, my car is revving and then drops it

Originally Posted by Arrensaur
oh and can someone explain to me that i dont have to put in my clutch to start my car on neutral and my friends have to put it in first and push in clutch to start?
ecu????
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If when your at idle..the idle is surging. Like say jumping from 1,000RPMs to 2,000RPMs,etc..and surging steady. I would check and clean your IACV(Idle Air Control Valve).

Since you have a 93 EG Hatch the engine will depend on what Trim(DX, EX, Etc). Either way look on the backside of your Intake Manifold Plenum and you will see a sensor with a connector going to it. Unplug the connector, Take out the Two(2) 12mil bolts, Slide the clamps down off the 2 coolant hoses and take them off. Now you will have the IACV loose and in your hands..take it to a clean area and take a Toothbrush with Brake Cleaner/Carb Cleaner,etc and clean the mesh screen that you will see.

As far as the clutch issue thing. It will not matter if you are in Nuetral or in Gear. Honda installed a clutch switch on the pedal. So if the clutch is Dis-engaged(Pedal to the top)the then switch is pushed in and closes the circuit not letting the Ignition switch have power on Slot III to turn the engine over. Check the switch by the pedal, For example my clutch switch went bad awhile back and I didn't have time to not drive my car until a new switch came in..so I unplugged the clip going to the switch and jumped it with a paperclip to keep the circuit open and by-pass the switch. So now my car will start in gear without clutch pushed in. That reminds me I still gotta order that switch.

Last edited by Matt93eg; 05-01-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the CEL ON?

Regarding the hunting idle, also clean the FITV on the throttle body. All is nicely explained here.

Someone has disabled the clutch interlock switch at the top of the clutch pedal. If the switch is bad, just replace it.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you for the help, i think im going to clean it some time this week since i have school and stuff in the way

i will get back to you when i clean it and if i have any problems.

but i also have this weird *clanging* noise under my car. When i turn on my car it'll be really quiet then when i warm up my car a little it starts making this crazy rattling noise. Like a piece of sheet metal going crazy somewhere. When i drive it would start to rattle really loud when i'm in gear but when i put it in neutral it settles down but it still rattles. Also it will settle down when i get to high speeds like 70-ish but that's rarely when i drive. It's not the heat shield because i checked and it was perfectly fine. any suggestions what it is? It's nowhere near the engine.

i read around and it might be my catalytic converter. some people say it will look fine on the outside but it will rust inside and break or something like that.