Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 hatch GSR rebuild

Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 93 hatch GSR rebuild

So i just got an 93 eg with a gsr swap in it. It was running on 3 cylinders so I did a leak down test and found that the exhuast valves were bad. I'll get some pics of the valves later cause the heads at the machine shop. But anyways how does the block look? The cylinder walls feel smooth, no scratches just some white marks (maybe from heat)? I've never rebuilt a car engine before but I've done a couple MX bikes and to me the cylinders look great. Should I clean off the top of the pistons?

I got a shitload of stuff coming in the mail so It'll a couple of days before I can put it all back together. So in the meantime I'll be on here lol. I bought an oem head gasket, timing belt, fuel filter, ngk plugs, wires cap rotor , arp studs etc..

Also I got a full set of exhuast valves from thmotorsports (https://honda-tech.com/forums/performance-45/supertech-race-springs-retainers-valves-%7C-free-overnight-shipping-2595293/) They're supertech dished and I'm planning on reusing the springs and retainers but putting on new oem stem seals. Do you guys see any problems here?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 93 hatch GSR rebuild

They're not supposed to be smooth like that. Take it to the shop and get it honed.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hm..well I was getting 210 compression on 3 cylinders and 30 on the bad one. cylinder # 3. (second one from the left)..

But I guess If I have to I can tear it down.

Last edited by tiemze; 01-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone else chime in? I really don't feel like taking apart the bottom end..
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell if what I have circled in red, are score's or not. But I agree with Marc's statement, they shouldn't be smooth or that shiny, tthey should have a decent crosshatch still. Get a little hone done.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the same mistake of thinking that because my cylinder walls "looked okay" that my B18C-R was in good shape. It cost me money when I had to pull the engine apart a second time.

Do it right since you have the engine apart now. At a minimum have a machine shop inspect the cylinders, and hone them. Then replace the rings. Honing and a machine shop inspection will be cheap...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok so if I get it honed I'll just have to put new rings in?

i mean what will happen if i put it back like this? Are shiny walls the sign of high miles on the motor? I heard about that where the rings have worn in so much that they "glaze" the walls and its smooth so its harder to scrape the oil again.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Hone it and put new rings on, Better safe then sorry. Honing is cheap and easy, You couild do it yourself with the propper tool
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can hone it yourself with wd-40 and a honing tool for 80 bux with a cordless drill. go slow up and down at the same rate and pace until u create your own cross hatch. then i cleaned mine up with a 600 grit stone to clean any burrs off. u can also gap the rings yourself with a file. good luck whatever way u decide. building motors takes patients and precision but is not very difficult to do.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to update: I put the motor back together without honing it and it runs like a champ!

Thanks every1 for your input. Even if i didn't listen hahaha It was too much work and everyone that was helping me told me to not bother with it and just slap it on..

Now other than that I gotta get some pics up cause I need to get the rest of the car fixed up. There was no carpet, the wheels were bad, and there's wheel well rust. It also came with a huge ricer tach with shift light ugh. also the cluster didn't light up at night. I went to crazy rays the other day and picked up everything from a tailgate, since the old one was rusted, carpet, missing trim pieces, a gauge cluster with a tach and some other stuff. I'm also getting a hytech replica header, black rota slips and a custom paint job. We're going to sand it down and repaint it along with my friends vx hatch that has a f20b swap, and my cousins rsx type s thats needs some bumper work. Also I'm getting a vibrant super quiet resonator and an aem sri to replace the ghey ebay intake thats on there right now with "GSR" scribbled on it with cutout stickers. u gotta see it. also I just got new oem exedy clutch kit. The clutch is so bad that it engages almost all the way at the top.

As for the paint. I'm thinking gunmetal..my boy might do a shade of green. not sure yet.