Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 hatch - battery light comes on and car stalls. starts right back up

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 hatch - battery light comes on and car stalls. starts right back up

So ive been searching, and i cant find anything about my problem.. this damn hatch is really just starting to kill me, it runs for a week and then its down for a month cuz i have no time to work on it.

its a jdm d16zc motor (sohc vtec) boosted.

I just replaced my headgasket and got everything running smooth again, then 3 days of running perfectly this happens completely randomly yesterday. however i did notice my rpms where running a bit lower than usual whenever I came to a stop, and when my fan kicks on the car almost dies while its idling.

Im driving then all the sudden the car just starts missin and throws me forward, the battery light comes on and it stalls. i coasted to a stop like wtf! get out and check that my battery cable isnt loose and that my alt belt is still there and its all good.

It starts right back up with one bump, but instantly the battery light comes on and it dies.

I know theres about a 90% chance no one will get the thing on a flat bed because its so low so I start chancing it and try to drive.

If I start it and instantly take off I can get into about 2nd before it starts to miss and kill itself and I can coast for a little ways and pull over again. The battery light keeps coming on everytime this happens.

It took me about an hour to make a 5 minute drive back home, luckily i didnt make it far and could take side streets, the best I was able to do was get up to 30 and just let it coast a bit and restart it while I was coasting to keep going, lots of pissed people riding behind me of course, lol.

My dizzy is brand new, and it does have a hacked harness so I have it all hardwired together. I made sure something didnt pull loose even though I dont think this has much to do with it because of the battery light, and im not getting a cel. if one of the wires came loose on the dizz it would def throw a cel.

Im thinking it has to be the alternator, but at the same time, my battery never died, and the alt pulls more juice starting the car then any other time so Im kinda confused what the hell it could possibly be. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 93 hatch - battery light comes on and car stalls. starts right back up

The charge/battery light will come on whenever the engine stalls, so the battery light may just be a red herring.

For stall problems, start by checking the igniter unit and coil.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 hatch - battery light comes on and car stalls. starts right back up

well for example, when I would first start the car, the battery light would instantly come on and stay on while it was running. It would keep and idle and as soon I tried to drive it would start with these problems. sometimes it would flash on and off while I was taking off, and then it would shut off for a few seconds and come back on again.

is it possible my battery is just starting to die?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im thinking your alternator is bad check your battery voltage then once you can get your vehicle started when its idling check voltage at your battery it should be 14-15volts then put a load on the electrical system (lights, ac, wiper that kinda stuff) then check the voltage again it should drop suddenly then climb back up to 14-15 volts. if it fails any of these checks its gonna be your alternator.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car runs off the alternator once its on, battery is just there to start the car.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

A bad battery would not make the charge light turn on. Check the alternator belt, the 4P connector, and the large alternator wire connection at the hood fuse box and alternator.

Then do the mentioned voltage tests across the two battery posts with the engine off, idling no load, and idling with high electrical load (high beams, A/C, and rear window defogger on).
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

putting my money on alternator
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good, I really dont know **** about electrical problems, I hate them >< I noticed my belt looked a little thrashed.. would a bad belt cause this? wouldnt it make some kind of noise?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alt all day long