Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 h/b won't start, clicking noise when trying to start car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 h/b won't start, clicking noise when trying to start car.

My 93 Civic hatchback won't start again. The last time it was the wiring for the clutch. Now this time what happens is when I press in the clutch and try to start the car, the car doesn't turn at all. I can heard this noise that sounds somewhat like a click. Would that indicate that my starter is going bad?

I know about the main relay issue and normally kicking on the dash and then having my other foot holding in the clutch and trying to start the car will start the car. But this time it was different. No matter even if I kicked the dash it would not budge. Also when the main relay acts up, I can't hear the fuel pump prime but I can hear the fuel pump prime.

Modified by Nocturnal at 5:19 PM 8/10/2006
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 h/b won't start, clicking noise when trying to start car. (Nocturnal)

I would say its the Starter
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 h/b won't start, clicking noise when trying to start car. (YodajdmEK4)

yeah i think its the starter relay that might just be frozen. if you tap on it hard it should unfreeze the relay ( dont break it ).
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 h/b won't start, clicking noise when trying to start car. (averyvm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by averyvm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i think its the starter relay that might just be frozen. if you tap on it hard it should unfreeze the relay ( dont break it ).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where exactly is the starter relay? You aren't talking about the main relay right?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there anyway to test the starter without having to remove it and take it to a store? Can I bang on it and will that affect it at all?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nocturnal)

You could try maybe one of ur friends starter on your car and that way you can determine if its your starter
Old 08-10-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: (YodajdmEK4)

Could also be the battery, recheck your conncectors and try to jump it. Then, if that doesnt work tap on the starter housing with a mallet, that should get you going.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Its Stock I Swear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its Stock I Swear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could also be the battery, recheck your conncectors and try to jump it. Then, if that doesnt work tap on the starter housing with a mallet, that should get you going. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but the starter could be shot in which case banging on it will do nothing.

I don't know if these new 4 bangers have it but on the big blocks there's something called the starter relay, which is what it sounds like. I heard from somebody though (forgot where) that on these new 4 bangers it doesn't exist, that it's part of the starter or something along those lines.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah but the starter could be shot in which case banging on it will do nothing.

I don't know if these new 4 bangers have it but on the big blocks there's something called the starter relay, which is what it sounds like. I heard from somebody though (forgot where) that on these new 4 bangers it doesn't exist, that it's part of the starter or something along those lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm fairly certain it does exist as I saw it in the Helms manual. I just have to reach up there and see if I can get to it. What would I do once I identify the starter relay? Just unplug it and plug it back in? Tap it a little? I've already shorted the cable that the clutch touches when you press the clutch in. I can't think of the exact name off the top of my head, sorry. I just know it was something pin B or something along those lines.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nocturnal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm fairly certain it does exist as I saw it in the Helms manual. I just have to reach up there and see if I can get to it. What would I do once I identify the starter relay? Just unplug it and plug it back in? Tap it a little? I've already shorted the cable that the clutch touches when you press the clutch in. I can't think of the exact name off the top of my head, sorry. I just know it was something pin B or something along those lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's bad it's bad, tapping on it will do no good, replacement.

Though it may be a bad starter.

See which one's cheaper :-P - I think it's the relay though. Weird thing is, it shouldn't blow that relay unless you have somethhing wrong with your system electronically (usually). It doesn't usually go bad, which makes me either think it's your starter or possibly the starter relay DID infact go bad (or did it eat itself from a short in the system).

I'm not sure, get a price on it & get back to us, see if it's worth replacing.

EDIT:
Once you ID it pull another one out of a junk yard, expletive new, if ur system is electronically fucked up you'll just blow it again anyways. Plus you won't have wasted as much money if it isn't that. Get 2, shouldn't matter what civic they're from as long as they're the same gen and same tranny (auto/manual). If 2 fail, you know it's an electrical load problem or if 2 don't make it work you know that's NOT the problem.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about to push my **** off a ******* cliff. I don't understand why I can't comprehend how to do things with a ******* car. I guess fixing computers isn't that hard either but I mean wtf.

I jumped the clutch interlock switch or clutch pedal switch B I believe with a paper clip.

I banged as hard as I could on the starter and it still wouldn't start. I have not tried jumping the car or roll starting it either. I'll be buying jumper cables tomorrow during my lunch or before I go to work.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 14mm bolts and 50 bucks later it will work.

Can you turn on your headlights? radio working etc. i dont think itll be the battery.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM

check your grounds