Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Delsol Si brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take appart 93 Delsol Si brake caliper?

So I changed the pads on the Delsol yesterday.
When I put the new ones on, the rotor won't sit flush on the hub. I pushed the piston all the way back into the caliper, but the disc still won't sit flat on the hub, it's got this slight outward angle. Anyone know what could cause this?

Since it's got that angle, the pads are always rubbing against the rotor and the wheel is getting really f*ckin hot.

How do you take a caliper appart?
Obviously I know how take off the lower bolt to slide the caliper up to change the pads, but what about the stationary slider pin at the top of the caliper? How do you take that one out? I'd like to take it appart to grease it.

On my car, the location in red is not a bolt that I can just take a ratchet too and take off.

Modified by blaze_125 at 7:37 AM 6/2/2008
Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I read somewhere the top pin is only a slide pin. I understand I should remove the lower bolt and I should be able to slide the caliper off the slide/pivot pin at the top.

I think there is a ton of debris/rust in there and that could be why the caliper won't swing as easily as it should and why it won't slide off.

Do you think I could hammer it off the pin? How would I go about doing that? Blow torch it and hammer it off? Hammer it off cold?

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (blaze_125)

The top unbolts like the bottom bolt.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The top unbolts like the bottom bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On my car, the location in red is not a bolt that I can just take a ratchet too and take off.

It's like a metal cover with a hole in the middle and hole is plugged with a rubber thingy
Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blaze_125)

Its a pin, rotate the caliper up until it clears the rotors, then push the caliper tword the car, and it should slide off.

Clean it with brake cleaner before you mess with it. asbestos is bad for you
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (JarvisW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JarvisW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its a pin, rotate the caliper up until it clears the rotors, then push the caliper tword the car, and it should slide off.

Clean it with brake cleaner before you mess with it. asbestos is bad for you </TD></TR></TABLE>

Brakes have been asbestos free for a few decades. However, brake dust is bad for you anyway. It just wont cause cancer now a days.

OP:

Remove the 12mm bolt holding in the bottom pin. The caliper flips upwards and slides off the top pin.

Remove the caliper and put it aside.

The slide pins are underneath the rubber boots.

The bottom one should have a bolt head on it that you can put a 17mm open end wrench on. It's either a 17mm or 19mm. I'll just say 17mm.

Grab a pair of vice grips.

Put the vice grips on the 17mm head of the slide pin. Twist and pull till the pin comes out of the caliper.

Once the pins are out, inspect them to make sure there's no major pitting.

If there is none, clean the bores and the pins out with brake cleaner. Dont get brake cleaner on the rubber boots. Pull them off and put them aside.

Get a small wire brush to put inside the caliper bores. Brush it out, use plenty of brake cleaner to get all the junk out.

Stop breathing in the brake cleaner.

Make sure lots of brake cleaner is NOT getting on the rubber caliper piston boot.

Make sure it's not splashing excessively on anything rubber or on your paint.

Use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the slide pins. Use brake cleaner with this also. Do this till they're clean and shiny. Use the vice grips so you dont wire clean your hand.

Put a good amount of brake caliper grease inside the pin bore. Grease the pins as well. Put a dab of grease inside the boots. Put the boots back on the pins.

Re install, and make sure the pins move in and out freely. Twist to make sure they move easily by hand.

If everything moves nice and easy, put it all back together. It wouldn't hurt to push the caliper back into the pistons one more time.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

Thanks, I'll do.