Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol with Transmission grind

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol with Transmission grind

1993 honda civic Del Sol. d16z6 5-speed 73k miles. unknown miles on clutch and last transmission flush.

I've been getting a transmission grinding type of noise. I go into every gear with no problems no grinds or pops. The issue i'm having is when engine braking at anytime it makes a horrible noise.
I know of the input shaft bearing and throw out bearing. One makes a noise when clutch depressed at idle and one it does when its not depressed. I tried to do the test and my car makes no noise at idle. I've also noticed it gets louder the higher I am in the rpms while engine braking.

So i'm debating on dropping the transmission and replacing whatever went wrong but I'd like some ideas on what it could be before pulling the transmission and splitting the case open. Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Del Sol with Transmission grind

anyone?
Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No matter what, you will have to drop the tranny, to find out what is wrong. 94
Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by MattsLegit
1993 honda civic Del Sol. d16z6 5-speed 73k miles. unknown miles on clutch and last transmission flush.

I've been getting a transmission grinding type of noise. I go into every gear with no problems no grinds or pops. The issue i'm having is when engine braking at anytime it makes a horrible noise.
With engine braking you are putting the synchro's to maximum work.

You say you have no grind going into gear accelerating but I am willing to bet you aren't trying to shift fast or hard at 7000 RPM.

To emulate the down shifting with upshifting, wind out the motor in 2nd gear and immediately try and shift into 3rd. I'm willing to bet you end up getting the same grinding noise.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
With engine braking you are putting the synchro's to maximum work.

You say you have no grind going into gear accelerating but I am willing to bet you aren't trying to shift fast or hard at 7000 RPM.

To emulate the down shifting with upshifting, wind out the motor in 2nd gear and immediately try and shift into 3rd. I'm willing to bet you end up getting the same grinding noise.
Hey Tomcat39, Thanks for the response. But I Shift at 6500-7000 rpms when messing around with people and I don't hear the noise. When I'm in second gear for example push in the clutch, shift to third, Then when I slowly let off the clutch It grinds but only when I coast/engine brake.It doesn't grind when accelerating and shifting normal.

So when I drive to not make my car sound like its flying apart I have to put it in natural and cant stay in gear to coast or engine brake.

Also I got my trans out in a few hours the other day. Still need to buy 12 point sockets to get the clutch and flywheel off. I noticed my input shaft bearing having some play inward and left and right is some normal or is that signs of input shaft bearing?

thanks again everyone.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by MattsLegit
Hey Tomcat39, Thanks for the response. But I Shift at 6500-7000 rpms when messing around with people and I don't hear the noise. When I'm in second gear for example push in the clutch, shift to third, Then when I slowly let off the clutch It grinds but only when I coast/engine brake.It doesn't grind when accelerating and shifting normal.

So when I drive to not make my car sound like its flying apart I have to put it in natural and cant stay in gear to coast or engine brake.

Also I got my trans out in a few hours the other day. Still need to buy 12 point sockets to get the clutch and flywheel off. I noticed my input shaft bearing having some play inward and left and right is some normal or is that signs of input shaft bearing?

thanks again everyone.
Good deal. My engine braking usually puts the RPM near or over redline at times and that's when I assumed you had your grinds. But sounds like it does it even on gentle portions. I know I have a worn 3rd gear syncro and it grinds if I'm over 6000 rpm but shifts smooth as butter under that without issue. Sounds like your syncros are in good shape and are not part of the problem.

And the input shaft should have zero play. Definitely a problem with the bearing there. You might find other bearings in the tranny worn out too, or just get lucky and have to only do the input shaft bearing, seal and don't forget to look at your pilot bearing.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:35 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see nothing wrong....... With a little bump and grind.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I pulled the Transmission apart and found on the magnet a lot of gunk/metal. I also pulled out the input shaft bearing and it has a lot of play. None of the bearings are out of place and the plastic retainer isn't broke. But I assume it shouldn't have any play and i'm going to replace it.

The other thing I noticed is the Rear Angular Bearing I think is what its called has some play in it too but spins fine Is that normal or should I try to find that bearing and replace it.

So i'm replacing so far.
The Input shaft bearing.
The Input shaft bearing seal.
The rear main seal.
the Pilot bearing.
the throwout.

anything else I should do or look at while i'm at it and again about the rear angular bearing i'm not sure if it should move.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:59 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The rear bearing will have some play being that it's angular bearing. It's normal and a new one will be the same.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I tore the transmission apart and my input shaft bearings were all gouged and the plastic cage was cracked and it had a lot of play.
So I replaced,
The Input shaft bearing.
The Input shaft bearing seal.
The rear main seal.
the Pilot bearing.
the throwout.

Now I put the transmission back together and when I first started my car with the clutch out (clutch Engaged) I hear a slight noise coming from my transmission. It only makes the noise when in neutral with the clutch out as soon as I push the clutch in it goes away. I'm pretty sure that's the symptoms of a bad input shaft bearing.

I did buy an oem Honda Input shaft bearing when I replaced it.
Before tearing my transmission apart I had a loud grinding noise when engine braking and first letting the clutch out and that's gone now.
If the new input shaft bearing was defective or I damage it somehow when installing it or installing the transmission wouldn't it make the same noise I used to get when engine braking not a completely new noise?

Any ideas or input in anyway would be helpful. My next step in a few weeks is take the transmission back apart and see if the bearing looks messed up or the plastic cage is broke.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the other bearings if you take it apart again. Basically remove them, clean them with brake clean, put some motor oil in the bearing and spin them, see if they feel and sound normal. The outer countershaft bearing also fails quite often.