Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 del sol si blowing #15 fuse under dash, when reverse Engaged.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 del sol si blowing #15 fuse under dash, when reverse Engaged.

Any idea which side of the car the plug is on in the engine bay shock tower that goes to that reverse switch? I could unplug it there and test the wiring for a short, which should lead me to either engine wiring, or chassis wiring....
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyD69 View Post
Just thought of one more thing...., while I had it unpluged, I also checked the fuse slot and my tester beeped saying I had a complete connection "short"... before checking it I turned the key on and found out which side of the fuse was power, and done the test on the other side which should be going to the short.
Reinsert fuse 15 with the switch unplugged.

Turn key to ON(II).

Does the fuse blow?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, now I'm confused.... I went back out and tested it in reverse with it unpluged, looked good since it didnt beep on my tester showing a short... checked the engine harness the same way and it beeped on both wires in the connector... so I wiggled them and it didnt change anything, still a solid beep showing a short.... so I cranked it with the reverse switch unpluged and put it in reverse and it didnt blow a fuse, now I put it in and out of reverse probably 30 times... then I plugged the switch back in and done the same thing with the engine running and the fuse didnt blow, and my reverse lights even worked that time.....🤦*♂️ so maybe when I was wiggling wires I moved it from where it was shorting out??? I was wiggling the harness that goes under the intake manifold.... pic is in reverse with it running... and i still have my gauges since the fuse never blew....
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

You can't pinpoint the short until you can reproduce the problem.

And you must not have done the short test correctly as it yielded false positive results for a short. Providing testing details would help sort it out.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, if I could reproduce the issue I would have already found it myself... I reckon if I find the issue I will post it on here to help others out. All I know is after moving wires everything now works without blowing the fuse #15. I'm a mechanic not a electrician, so if I find it I will post it to help others out also... I checked again this morning with ignition on, in reverse, wiggling wires, and nothing happened, no fuse blown and everything is working. Car on Jack stands so I could go under and check out wires. Nothing is worn tru and shorting it doesn't look like. Only time will tell....
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No more issues since I wiggled the harness around, must be a short in the harness somewhere. I went ahead and zip-tied the harness up under the intake manifold but leaving it hanging so it isn't tight against anything. Still running good, no blown fuses yet. Hope this helps someone in the future...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: