Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 del sol s motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 del sol s motor swap

I am looking to do a swap on my girls 93 del sol s. It is automatic so i am wondering what motor would be a good match. cause i was thinking of doing the b16a3 from the si but dont know what ecu to use since i want to keep it auto so i was planning on using the auto tranny off a integra. but I know the that the si comes with a 5 speed so i dont think i can run a auto tranny with that ecu. so my other option was doing a b18 swap with the auto tranny. but if i use that ecu will my dash still work. Please help me I new to swaps.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Re: 93 del sol s motor swap

Can someone please give me some help or even if you have links to another thread. Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want to do a B-series swap you wont be keeping the automatic, thats the harsh reality of it. I haven't seen the details on a 5th gen civic/del sol yet, but I have on a 6th gen ('96 - '00) civic. The automatic tranny doesn't clear the frame rail (clearance issues should be about the same with the Del Sol), there may or may not be OEM mounts, manual integras, '92 - '95 civics, and '93 - '97 Del Sols all have identical mounting points so theoratically at least automatic integra mounts *should* work. The biggest problem is the wirring. Automatic Integras have a seperate computer that controls the tranmission that needs to be wired in, I have yet to see anyone able to do it properly.

Bottom line: It is far easier, and cheaper to swap in a manual, and its guarenteed to work.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there were no auto usdm ecu for the b16 so its either jdm ecu or chipped
Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by iwanttokillgod
there were no auto usdm ecu for the b16 so its either jdm ecu or chipped
Yep, and neither one is an acceptable solution in California, so you can definately cross automatic B16 swap off the list. Automatic B18B swap, assuming you could get it done (which is unlikely) would at least pass emissions.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Your best bet is to get a full swap which includes the engine, transmission, half-shafts, and ecu when you buy your engine. It would be easier that way since swapping the engine from one Honda/Acrua and then a transmission from another type and then an ECU which makes the two work together adds a ton of variables into the equation. Most Honda and Acura parts will interchange but if you are creating some combination that Honda never thought of to begin with then you may not find all the parts to make your car work.
Most combination's have been thought of but not many people are swapping in B16's or B18's with an auto tranny into a 1993 Del Sol.

Try to find a Honda/Acura model that had an AUTO and a B series motor. Then track down that combination for your swap and get all the parts off of that car.

You can swap in pretty much any B series motor to the Del Sol. But the AUTO transmission may not physically fit in the Del Sol.
They made a Del Sol Si with a B series and an Auto transmission. You could try to find one of the those which has been wrecked and get everything out of it. That would be easiest.

Keep in mind that swapping the motor is a performance oriented activity. Most performance enthusiasts want a manual transmission. As a result not too many Honda-Tech guys are going to want to hassle with trying to help you get a higher performance engine into a your car with an AUTO transmission. For most Honda people it is simply a silly idea.

Check out this site for some more information on swapping: http://hondaswap.com/

Last edited by shailoche; 05-19-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling and such
Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by shailoche
They made a Del Sol Si with a B series and an Auto transmission.
The Del Sol Si Came with a D16Z6 (for '93 - '95) and a D16Y8 (for '96 - '97) The Del Sol Vtec came with the B16A3 ('94 - '95) and the B16A2 ('96 - '97) (there was no '93 Vtec model) There was no automatic transmission offered on the Vtec model in north america, other countries yes, but not here. The biggest problem is that USDM ECU doesn't exist, California requires that you use the corresponding USDM ECU for the engine, using a chipped or JDM ECU still wont pass.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The Del Sol Si Came with a D16Z6 (for '93 - '95) and a D16Y8 (for '96 - '97) The Del Sol Vtec came with the B16A3 ('94 - '95) and the B16A2 ('96 - '97) (there was no '93 Vtec model) There was no automatic transmission offered on the Vtec model in north america, other countries yes, but not here. The biggest problem is that USDM ECU doesn't exist, California requires that you use the corresponding USDM ECU for the engine, using a chipped or JDM ECU still wont pass.
My error. I was quoting off of production information that was worldwide since I thought the OP would be looking into a JDM motor. Thanks for clearing that up for me and the OP.
He could buy a 1993 Del Sol Si. It is a VTEC motor. It isn't a B-series but it has VTEC. For what it is worth.

For some reason everybody forgets that the D16Z6 has VTEC. It is the only motor that I am aware of that Honda made with VTEC that doesn't say VTEC on the car, motor, or user manual.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by shailoche
My error. I was quoting off of production information that was worldwide since I thought the OP would be looking into a JDM motor. Thanks for clearing that up for me and the OP.
He could buy a 1993 Del Sol Si. It is a VTEC motor. It isn't a B-series but it has VTEC. For what it is worth.

For some reason everybody forgets that the D16Z6 has VTEC. It is the only motor that I am aware of that Honda made with VTEC that doesn't say VTEC on the car, motor, or user manual.
I know the D16Z6 is a Vtec engine, thats not what I was getting at. The actual trim level of the car is called "vtec" it went S, Si, Vtec. Why honda didn't just call it the Del Sol SiR is beyond me, to use vtec as a trim level desgination is just confusing.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I know the D16Z6 is a Vtec engine, thats not what I was getting at. The actual trim level of the car is called "vtec" it went S, Si, Vtec. Why honda didn't just call it the Del Sol SiR is beyond me, to use vtec as a trim level desgination is just confusing.
Ohh, I get you. Honda did not seem to standardize their nomenclature in the 80's and 90's. And for some reason Honda didn't state that the D16Z6 was a VTEC motor on the car which is confusing to some. As a result it is the sometimes forgotten VTEC. Not that it really means much to anybody.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I understand its not a common swap. I just didnt want to deal with the auto to manual. If anyone can think of anything that may help let me know.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 AM

also I was just thinking why wont the b series auto tranny fit? Is it that much bigger then the manual tranny? I am not looking to make this a fast car just a summer cruiser with enough power to get out of its own way a little better then the d series.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by 94lsrhd
Thanks for the info. I understand its not a common swap. I just didnt want to deal with the auto to manual. If anyone can think of anything that may help let me know.
The auto to manual is far easier to deal with than an automatic B-series swap, quite honestly an auto to manual swap adds very little if you are already swapping the engine and transmission anyway.

also I was just thinking why wont the b series auto tranny fit? Is it that much bigger then the manual tranny?
Yes it is that much bigger.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The b series auto trans is rediculasly big... and over twice the weight
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Does anyone have any pics of the two trannys. And would it be possible to fit the tranny if i notched the frame rail. I really would like to keep it auto since i dont have the time or a spare car to teach my gf to drive stick in. so will the b series auto not fit in any civic?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Seagull Management

Does anyone have any pics of the two trannys.
Don't have pics right here, but the manual tranny is somewhat funnel shaped, it get smaller at the end so it fits under the mount and clears the frame rail (may also be a little shorter. The automatic is about the whole size its entire length.

And would it be possible to fit the tranny if i notched the frame rail.
Yes, but that in and of itself should be reason enough to not bother. From everything i've heard thats the easy part of the swap, the hard part is wiring up the integra TCM, its not just a couple of wires, the TCM itself has 48 pins with around 40 of them used, in other words you need to run 40 wires from the TCM, and they go all over the place.

I really would like to keep it auto since i dont have the time or a spare car to teach my gf to drive stick in. so will the b series auto not fit in any civic?
Its the same issues in pretty much all of them, clearance and wiring issues. The Del Sol and 5th gen civic are actually probably the easiest chassis to work with for this swap, and its still a nightmare. You might get lucky, the tranny might clear the frame rail (it definately doesn't in a '96 - '00 civic) but wiring issues remain. I just looked through wiring diagrams for a '94 civic, '90 Integra, '93 Integra and '95 Integra to see if there was an easy way to do this, there isn't. You or your girlfriend must know someone willing to teach her how to drive stick.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM

ok so realistically the tranny will fit with some fab work. it just comes down to wiring the tranny to work. And the reason im willing to notch the frame is cause the car needs frame work in the front already. Do you have a link to that diagram? And will i have to worry about the dash working properly with a swap? And thanks eg and everyone else for the help so far. If i can get this figured out i will be doing a thread on the build so anyone else looking to do this will have a guide
Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 PM

ok so realistically the tranny will fit with some fab work. it just comes down to wiring the tranny to work. And the reason im willing to notch the frame is cause the car needs frame work in the front already. Do you have a link to that diagram? And will i have to worry about the dash working properly with a swap? And thanks eg and everyone else for the help so far. If i can get this figured out i will be doing a thread on the build so anyone else looking to do this will have a guide
I think that you missed the post immediately above this one.
Yes, the transmission can be FORCED to fit...but the cost is going to be high. Anything can be made to fit anywhere provided you have enough money, experience, materials, and tools. See OVERHAULIN'
But unless you have money to burn and mad fabrication skills you are missing the easiest fix.
The best and easiest fix is simple.
Teach the girlfriend to drive a manual.
It is a skill that everyone who drives should know how to do unless they are physically unable to do it.

Making an automatic transmission fit with some engine combination just for the hell of it may be cool to you or someone else...but it is likely beyond your skill and budget...especially if you are asking these questions in a online Honda forum to begin with.

I am not sure that there is a diagram oh the whole internet that will show your HOWTO cram an auto into a manual Del Sol and then wire it up to run. I may be wrong. The world is big and people do crazy things all the time. But something tells me that you will be searching in vain.

Last edited by shailoche; 05-21-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM

If you read the whole post you would see that i have an auto del sol not a manual. I understand that it will be easier to do the auto to manual. And im not doing this to be cool or anything just doing it for the performance of the b series with the convenience of the auto.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
New User

hi all
yes 94lsrhd ,it could be done,yet kinda painfull,if not ,time consuming.95 up integra autotrannies does have a tcm(trans control module)located in the firewall next to the driver's left leg,wich with patience you could hook it up to th tranny and the engine.me,myself I'm helping a friend with it ,the tcm as 2 harnesses ,one with 20 wires and the other has 16 or somthing like it that goes 8 of them to the tranny and the rest mostly to the ecm and some others sensors along with a few to power and ground.I'm talking about a b18b in a 92 civic coupe,I''ll comeback with more info later
Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why waste all the money putting in a b when you could just turbo the d for much less...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking to do a swap on my girls 93 del sol s. It is automatic so i am wondering what motor would be a good match. cause i was thinking of doing the b16a3 from the si but dont know what ecu to use since i want to keep it auto so i was planning on using the auto tranny off a integra. but I know the that the si comes with a 5 speed so i dont think i can run a auto tranny with that ecu. so my other option was doing a b18 swap with the auto tranny. but if i use that ecu will my dash still work. Please help me I new to swaps.
bolts in just fine, b18 auto. grab a donor car for cheap, maybe one rear ended or sideswiped, try to set it up so you have teh car til yours is running (that way you can grab parts off as needed instead of simply grabbing what you think you need)

no frame clearance problems, no wiring issues BUT you have to grab eveyr piece of harness of the integra you are gonna take the stuff from. I bnelieve B series automatics have a tranny module aka, 2 ecus, one for the motor, one for the transmission.

no cutting, no welding of any sort. any problem will be wiring, which on a honda can be both easy and difficult. search online, download a wiring manual for each car.

good luck. I was planning this route before I finally decided to keep my D series, swap to manual and build for power instead of swapping.

I dont know if you use the teggy shifter or not, those details will have to be researched a bit more
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
New User

Originally Posted by mattliston
bolts in just fine, b18 auto. grab a donor car for cheap, maybe one rear ended or sideswiped, try to set it up so you have teh car til yours is running (that way you can grab parts off as needed instead of simply grabbing what you think you need)

no frame clearance problems, no wiring issues BUT you have to grab eveyr piece of harness of the integra you are gonna take the stuff from. I bnelieve B series automatics have a tranny module aka, 2 ecus, one for the motor, one for the transmission.

no cutting, no welding of any sort. any problem will be wiring, which on a honda can be both easy and difficult. search online, download a wiring manual for each car.

good luck. I was planning this route before I finally decided to keep my D series, swap to manual and build for power instead of swapping.

I dont know if you use the teggy shifter or not, those details will have to be researched a bit more
you have to bang the frame a little bit around where the alternator it's gonna be,or the belt may grind a little bit in the 92 95 civic chassis.and about the 92 95 civic chassis the tranny mount by the driver's side sits different for manual trannies,so if you swapp tranny you also has to get a special tranny mount to adapt from auto to manual.mine cost me closed to 200 bucks at hasport b4re my car was stolen(94 ex sedan with b16a1 engine)3 yrs ago.
anyway if someone still looking in swapping b18b engine and auto tranny in 92-95 civics this is a little guide as far wiring,don't forget to get the tcm(transmission control module) from the donor car along with pigtails.it has 2 connectors.connector A has26 pins but only 20 wires to work with and connector D has 14 ,so you need to wire 34 wires in total,11 of them go to the engine bay,2 grounds,a couple for power(+) and the rest to swicthes and sensors and a few to the ecm.....good luck
Attached Files
File Type: txt
94 integra tcm wiring a.txt (1.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: txt
94 integra tcm wiring d.txt (791 Bytes, 113 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, let's think for a second. What do you think would be easier?

A. Figuring out how to swap the auto B-series and then spending a full day or more doing it.

OR

B. Spending a few hours total, maximum teaching the gf to drive a manual transmission.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by masqjode
you have to bang the frame a little bit around where the alternator it's gonna be,or the belt may grind a little bit in the 92 95 civic chassis.and about the 92 95 civic chassis the tranny mount by the driver's side sits different for manual trannies,so if you swapp tranny you also has to get a special tranny mount to adapt from auto to manual.mine cost me closed to 200 bucks at hasport b4re my car was stolen(94 ex sedan with b16a1 engine)3 yrs ago.
anyway if someone still looking in swapping b18b engine and auto tranny in 92-95 civics this is a little guide as far wiring,don't forget to get the tcm(transmission control module) from the donor car along with pigtails.it has 2 connectors.connector A has26 pins but only 20 wires to work with and connector D has 14 ,so you need to wire 34 wires in total,11 of them go to the engine bay,2 grounds,a couple for power(+) and the rest to swicthes and sensors and a few to the ecm.....good luck
you shouldnt have to bang the frame at all, considering the timing belt motor mount is the same one used for D manuals, D automatics, B manuals and B automatics.

no need to touch the frame, unless you are using a different aftermarket mount and it changes the position of the motor

Quick Reply: 93 del sol s motor swap