Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol Q.R. Steering Wheel Horn Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol Q.R. Steering Wheel Horn Wiring?

So I'm trying to get the horn working for my NRG setup. I've looked up tons of diy's and what not, and I still can't figure it out. Probably because I'm an idiot . After removing the srs reel, the main harness it was connected to was yellow and had six connections which was numbered 1 - 6. I found out the sixth one is the horn but I don't know how to wire it correctly to the hub. I also used a coiled up piece of sturdy copper wire to keep contact with the hub's brass plate (maybe this is why it's not working?). Here are the two tries I did and both didn't work:

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks
Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Del Sol Q.R. Steering Wheel Horn Wiring?

So no one here has an aftermarket steering wheel? Or one with a functional horn?

I replaced the coiled copper wire with the flat strip of metal from a hose clamp. But it still doesn't work. Is it something really obvious that even someone without electrical experience can figure out? Or is my hub broken?

It's bad enough that I'm driving without an airbag, I at least want a horn.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are DIY's on the horn everywhere.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've seen that one. His like a lot of other DIYs I've seen are using a whole different wiring setup compared to mine.

My harness connector that I'm supposedly supposed (lol) to connect the wire to looks like this:

And after doing what the majority of DIYs tell me to do, there is still no normally functioning horn.

It seems that there isn't a ground connecting/disconnecting allowing the horn to honk. Please refer to my diagram and see if something is wrong on my part.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is acting as your switch for the horn? Is it a button on the steering wheel? or what.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it's just a button in the center of the steering wheel. If you want a better idea, search up 'nrg steering wheel' on google images.

There's a male and female wire, coming out of the button that you connect to the male and female wires coming out of the quick release. Then on the quick release, the two parts that separate have two points that I guess contact each other:

Then the other part of the quick release has male and female wires that connect with the male and female wires from the hub which is connected to the steering column (which is supposedly the ground).

There's no way I messed up connecting male to female wires so I don't know.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So match wire to wire. What is the dilemma? there shouldn't be any extra wiring to add. Positive to +, negative to -.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The situation was a little more complicated than that but it's alright, I figured it out...

I guess I was in the right the first time I did it, but the wire that I stuck into the harness connector was too thin and didn't make a good connection. So after many tries, I figured: make the wire wavy so it would fit snug into the connector. Then I electrical taped it together so the wire wouldn't fall out, and put everything back together. Now the horn works

So here's a cheap write-up from what I learned for anyone who is installing a quick release setup on their del sol:

1. Take off your stock steering wheel and unplug (yellow plug) the SRS reel from under the dash, then install your hub.
2. Take off the steering column cover (3 screws) and the panel below steering column (2 screws and 3 snap-ons).
3. Find the yellow plug that the SRS reel was connected to within the steering column; it is numbered one through six (look at picture above for reference).
4. The sixth female connection point (or whatever it is) is the horn; do what ever you feel is right to get the power from it to the wire you'll be running up to the hub. I used a wavy, bare copper wire that was crimped to my main wire. The wavy, bare copper wire also had two ends that I placed into both holes of the sixth connection point.
5. Make sure the wire that is connected to the yellow plug is sturdy and won't fall out; I used electrical tape to secure it.
6. Run your wire through the steering column and up to where the hub is.
7. Use an oem 'shoe horn' or make one out of a strip of metal; it has to be in contact with the brass plate of the hub at all times, even while it's rotating.
8. Secure the wire you ran up to the hub and the strip of metal that is touching the hub, together by screwing them both into the same screw hole the SRS reel was using (there should be five available screw holes).
9. Make sure the wire and strip of metal isn't getting in the way of any moving parts.
10. Test your horn by touching both wires that are coming out of the hub together; or wait until you fully assembled the steering wheel.
11. Connect all of the wires from the hub to the steering wheel and then assemble it.

That should be it. Now here's a cheap diagram I made to accompany the cheap write up:

And here is my new setup, soo fantabulous with all the glittery sparkles:

Thanks to the people that posted too.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Congrats and nice job.
Maybe you can get a Mod to change the title so others can use this information as well.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by HairyHarry
The situation was a little more complicated than that but it's alright, I figured it out...

I guess I was in the right the first time I did it, but the wire that I stuck into the harness connector was too thin and didn't make a good connection. So after many tries, I figured: make the wire wavy so it would fit snug into the connector. Then I electrical taped it together so the wire wouldn't fall out, and put everything back together. Now the horn works

So here's a cheap write-up from what I learned for anyone who is installing a quick release setup on their del sol:

1. Take off your stock steering wheel and unplug (yellow plug) the SRS reel from under the dash, then install your hub.
2. Take off the steering column cover (3 screws) and the panel below steering column (2 screws and 3 snap-ons).
3. Find the yellow plug that the SRS reel was connected to within the steering column; it is numbered one through six (look at picture above for reference).
4. The sixth female connection point (or whatever it is) is the horn; do what ever you feel is right to get the power from it to the wire you'll be running up to the hub. I used a wavy, bare copper wire that was crimped to my main wire. The wavy, bare copper wire also had two ends that I placed into both holes of the sixth connection point.
5. Make sure the wire that is connected to the yellow plug is sturdy and won't fall out; I used electrical tape to secure it.
6. Run your wire through the steering column and up to where the hub is.
7. Use an oem 'shoe horn' or make one out of a strip of metal; it has to be in contact with the brass plate of the hub at all times, even while it's rotating.
8. Secure the wire you ran up to the hub and the strip of metal that is touching the hub, together by screwing them both into the same screw hole the SRS reel was using (there should be five available screw holes).
9. Make sure the wire and strip of metal isn't getting in the way of any moving parts.
10. Test your horn by touching both wires that are coming out of the hub together; or wait until you fully assembled the steering wheel.
11. Connect all of the wires from the hub to the steering wheel and then assemble it.

That should be it. Now here's a cheap diagram I made to accompany the cheap write up:

And here is my new setup, soo fantabulous with all the glittery sparkles:

Thanks to the people that posted too.
Hi I’m trying to do this at the moment, not sure if this is going to get a reply but I can’t seem to get it to work, it is this plug correct?
Old 05-14-2020, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yes that is it I just did this in my 93 si

Your fingers are covering the #s but it is # 6,

to test, you should be able to connect a wire to 6 and a ground, pretty much any metal and get the horn to work

make sure that works then do the other stuff on the wheel side and connect the wire to #6 on that plug