Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 del sol power steering leak question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 del sol power steering leak question.

on my del sol it seems that im looseing power steering fluid very very slow. My queistion is if i delete the power steering will this affect the rack and pinion? i was goin to loop the lines also. my first 2 hondas didnt have power steering and or had it deleted already. I dont see any leaks either in the rack or in the lines. Where else should i check? thanks james.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 del sol power steering leak question.

yea u would need a manual rack and pinion i dont know what will happen if u dont get the manual meaning idk what kind of damage will occur but there r manual and regular i deleted my p/s on my da and on my sol and i didnt have any problems but its up to u if u want to get the manual rack and pinion or not
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. on my neon i had i deleted the p/s and just looped the lines worked for me so i might try that cuz i really dont want to do alignment again for a third time lol.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The manual rack for 6th Gen has a lower gear ratio than a power rack. 19:1 vs 17:1 IIRC. It makes turning the wheel easier but also is slower because it takes more turns of the wheel to get from lock to lock. Removing the power from the system really only adds some extra stress to the wheel, column/u-joints and gear box. Everything else is on the assisted side of the system.
I removed all the PS system from my EJ and kept the PS rack. I took some of the old lines and a "T" to tie the two port together and provide a vent. One leg of the "T" has a hose connected that runs up to the firewall where I have a little filter mounted. This vents the rack without the chance of getting moisture or debris into the rack itself.
I first just tied the 2 ports on the rack together, but a fellow racer did that and the rack would "lock up" at times from air pressure in the rack casing. I went back in and changed my configuration before ever driving the car.
This is what I made 1st to go between the ports on the rack...

I used a couple ends off the lines to make plugs for the gear box. I assume there are actual plugs that can be had for the purpose, but I couldn't find any.

I then pulled it back out, cut it in two, added the "T" and ran a hose up to the firewall for the vent filter...

I've since run it several times at speed on the track and it's been fine. For DD/AX it would suck, but for track duty, manual is the only way to go. The feedback you get from the front suspension/tires is amazing
Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Izo
Honda-Tech Member

Have you considered flushing the fluid and replacing with genuine Honda PS fluid? It's thicker (viscosity) and has some anti wear additives to protect gaskets and the pump. Don't use regular PS fluid - It can cause wear and leaks. Just a thought :-)
Old 05-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent but i might try that. its been years since it been flushed so might try that. would kinda like the room under the hood tho.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a 92 civic that blew the power steering hose I just cut the belt and drove it. It did no harm it was a lot harder to turn when stopped, but when the wheels were moving it was fine. I drove it like this for 6 months got a hose and it worked fine after that.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My civic pump has a very slow leak. I just top it up every so often with honda ps fluid. My accord on the other hand the rack completely lost a seal (pass side) after 300k miles. I have yet to replace the rack but thats the way I plan to proceed. Meanwhile I have removed the belt to the pump.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running a looped ps rack , been running it for about 2 years now. never had any problems with it and i take the car to the track once in a while. so if u decide to loop the rack i think u'll be just fine , there are countless people that are running the same set up as i am. mine is a non-vented btw