Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol B16A Fuel system noise...???

Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol B16A Fuel system noise...???

I'll start off by saying I work at a Honda Dealer and have been there almost 3years. Almost 100% self study on Honda iN. I am definatley no "slouch" when it comes to Honda/Acura vehicles. This is something you don't see everyday. The customer is an older gentleman, and wants this Del Sol to look and drive like it did the day it was delivered to the dealership, we only use OEM Honda parts. So little noises to him are a big deal, and we all know that Del Sols aren't the quietest cars made by Honda.

It's a 1993 Del Sol with a very clean Obd-1 JDM B16a swap. Everything is stock as it would be on a Del Sol that came with the B16. Inside the car while then engine is idling you can hear a tapping/knocking noise that is at what seems to be "cam speed" and can only be heard inside the car. You can slightly rev the engine and it will dissappear!!

Upon further diagnosis, I discovered that if I put my hand around the feed line for the fuel rail (Rubber line from the filter to the rail) and grabbed it tight and/or moved it I could feel injectors pulsing. I got a friend to sit in the car and confirmed that the noise goes away when I grabbed it or moved it. Very weird.

This car is not equipped with a fuel pulsation damper like what you would find on most other B-series engines. It's a small diaphram so to say, usually has a small plastic cap on it, unless someone has moved it.

Has anyone ran into this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? I was thinking possibly about swapping the fuel rail for a spare rail I have with the damper that came off a B18B.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Del Sol B16A Fuel system noise...???

ANYONE????????????????????????
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Del Sol B16A Fuel system noise...???

Ive just ran into the same predictament with my b16a but im trying to diagnos it myself atm so idk wat to sa,. due to the noise not being there when i had my fuel rail on my other b16 it was not there.