Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol 1.6 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol 1.6 no crank

Our 93 Del Sol was working fine yesterday. Today the starter motor won't run when the key is used. Starter does work if the solenoid is jumpered which shows that the starter and battery are good. I've tried jumpering the 2 switches on the clutch pedal (since I didn't know which one was the starter safety switch) and checked the 7.5 amp fuse marked starter. We hear the fuel pump run momentarily and the radio quits when the key turned to start but the dash lights stay at normal brightness.

Is there a relay that the starter switch goes through before getting to the solenoid? Maybe a common connection issue that I can check?

Thanks for your help. You were a big help the last time I asked for help which led us to replace the distributer to make the engine run.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 93 Del Sol 1.6 no crank

i had the same issue on my 94
i would check the distributor cap or the ignition
even though the starter works when you jump it thats because your force starting it
because if it doesnt start with the key your starter can still be the problem i would replace the starter
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by loudmike
i would check the distributor cap or the ignition
Neither of these would prevent the starter from running when turning the ignition switch to start.

If you have a facotry shop manual (FSM) / Helm manual, follow the instructions to troubleshoot your ignition switch. My money is that's where the issue lies. I believe some folks have taken the switch apart, cleaned, reinstalled, and it worked (if you don't want to spend the money on a replacement).
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Had similar problem 4mths ago, I would turn the key and nothing happens no fuel pump prime, no dash light and no crank. So I took the ignition apart cleaned the contact points with alcohol wipe and let dry then put it together and started right up.

my guess is one of contact point on the ignition is bad and not making contact.

try taking apart and check broken solder points or cleaning it and see if that works. Then order a new ignition switch.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The problem turned out to be the plastic stopper that keeps the neutral safety switch's plunger from hitting the plate at the top of the clutch pedal. It is ridiculously hard to get to. There is not enough room for fingers to put it in place. You can't see where it belongs with the clutch pedal released and there is no room to install it with the pedal pressed to the floor. Once in place the starting system started functioning properly again.

In my OP I said that I jumpered the connector to the switch. I must not have done that properly. I'm sure that was because the wires are short and there isn't enough room to get both hands up there to make sure that the jumper wires were correctly inserted.

A package of 2 stoppers for around $8.00 at Advance or AutoZone fixed both the starter issue and also the cruise control since its stopper was also missing.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. This happened on my wife's Accord a couple of weeks ago and I agree, it's tough to get to. I still haven't replaced the stopper, and still have the jumper in place. How did you end up getting it in place?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After a lot of searching on You Tube I found a video where a guy used a pair of wooden chop sticks to get it into position with the pedal pressed about half way. Then press the pedal to the floor to get it to snap into place.

Actually, my grandson got it into place after I told him how to do it. My bifocals wouldn't allow me to focus at that distance while l was on my back.

Also, if your brake lights are on all the time and won't turn off, the same part might have broken off of the brake pedal but that one is much easier to replace.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I hate those little rubber stoppers... they always break at the worst time...
Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

You can wrap tape "sticky side out" around the flat blade of a long screwdriver... hold it up to make contact with the clutch-start switch and push the clutch pedal to meet it. As you get close, slightly adjust the alignment so that the cone of the stopper meets the hole in the clutch pedal arm and then push the pedal all of the way to the floor. This should snap the stopper into the hole of the pedal arm and then you can remove the screwdriver and tape. All done.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JRCivic1 or twj815 or anyone else can you please help me with clutch switch you're talking about as I think I may have the same problem. I can see the plastic stopper on the lower clutch switch but not on the top one (or does that one even have a stopper)? Do "both" switches act as the safety start?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donee12
JRCivic1 or twj815 or anyone else can you please help me with clutch switch you're talking about as I think I may have the same problem. I can see the plastic stopper on the lower clutch switch but not on the top one (or does that one even have a stopper)? Do "both" switches act as the safety start?
The clutch start switch is at the TOP of the clutch pedal... the plastic stopper found half way down the clutch pedal arm is for disengaging the cruise control. Remember that you cannot start the car by barely pushing the clutch pedal down... it MUST go all the way to the floor.
It is nearly impossible to replace the upper stopper with your hands/fingers. The FSM states to remove the clutch pedal assembly, install the upper stopper, and re-install the clutch pedal assembly. A trick I have used is to wrap some Duck Tape sticky side out around the tip of a long flat-head screwdriver. Shine some light up towards the clutch starter switch so that you can see what you are doing... stick the pad stopper to the blade of the screwdriver and gently work it up toward the top of the dash inside the clutch pedal box. Slowly depress the clutch pedal with your other hand until you can see the hole for the stopper... move the point of the stopper into the hole and fully depress the clutch pedal to the floor. This will pinch the stopper and screw driver against the switch and force the flared point of the stopper through the hole... installing the stopper. Done.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and much appreciated JRCivic1. Is the plastic stopper for the cruise control the same size as the one for the upper starter switch?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, but it is unlikely that you will be able to remove it and place it in the other hole. They get brittle over time and crack apart... this is what has happened with your clutch switch pad already. Buy a new one from your local Honda Dealership... the price is about $5.
The following users liked this post: