Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic VX, no crank after heater core replacement?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic VX, no crank after heater core replacement?

So long story short I went and replaced my heater core in my car (complete with removing the entire dash) now I have it 3/4 of the way put back together and my car won't crank. it's acting as if my clutch isn't being touched, everything lights up but nothing. I'm not hearing any clicking from under my dash either (I was assuming it's either the main relay or the clutch switch)

the other problem with this: There's extra wiring I was unaware of that I've yet to see on any diagrams (factory at least) I have a 20 pin long plug I'm not finding a place for (thinking this may actually be from the aftermarket cruise control that I ended up pulling out of the car a long long time ago) near the fuse box. I also found a little plastic blue box within the harness I had to pull out of the dash. Any idea what that may be? it's like 1.5" x 1" x .5" roughly with a 4 digit code taped on it (there's no buttons or names or anything on this box either) Then another harness that looks much like a standard alarm harness to me. Last thing (yeah a lot) I bought the car knowing the ignition was busted from a theft but never had a problem with it. I've had the car 5 years and never installed a starter type kill switch so I've never touched the ignition either. I'm not 100% on what going on with the car (no crank, can't tell if it's sparking or anything)

Is there a plug that I may possibly have missed? from the dash harness I don't recall unplugging anything that went to the clutch interlock switch, couldn't find anything right off that was unplugged except that 20 pin plug and that one I can't anything to plug it into.

This is my DD btw, the only thing modified on it really is a CAI and a fuel cutoff switch (which again, would allow it to crank just no fuel) Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 93 civic VX, no crank after heater core replacement?

Any pics of the plug or the box?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did get it running finally (main relay got unplugged putting it back together) I can't get a pic of that blue box (have to pull the dash completely out to see it) but I did get a pic of the mystery plug- there's 2 wires from it going into the ignition. I'd like to remove this if I don't need it but wondering if those 2 wires will make a difference.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure what that plug is for, but it's not factory.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I'm not sure what that plug is for, but it's not factory.
looks like its for an alarm
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So tried to start up the car today and it started to crank but then everything dimmed out and clicked like the battery is dead. Alternator is under a year old, battery is fully charged at that. I drove it around for a good couple hours last night, kept parking and turning it on and off with no problems til this morning trying to start it. Is that main relay crapping out on me? How long do they usually last? Everyone I know who's owned a civic ended up replacing these in the first yr of having the car and I've had mine going on 6 years now and other than standard stuff (oil changes, cv shafts, the termostat) Haven't had any problems like this (other than the battery actually being dead)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

solder the solder points on the back of the relay
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That wire might be for an alarm? You did not take out an alarm brain by accident???

Might be a coincidence and the main relay is out again.