Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic with Twin Carby D15B42 engine - need help with fuel mix problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic with Twin Carby D15B42 engine - need help with fuel mix problem

I have spent several months on this, reading all the manuals I have gotten. I have downloaded all the manuals I can find online, from 1989 all the way up to 2006 and I can not find a service manual for my car. My car is an Australian Honda Civic 1993 EG Sedan, Twin Carby, 1.5 litre, Manual with the engine number D15B42....

There is a lot of confusion as to what engine, carby and car I have!

Can someone please help me find my manual. I bought a second hand carby which sais EG4 on it.

Here are pics of the engine and carby I have.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Help me find my service manual for my Honda Civic please...

Sounds like you need the book for the Honda Concerto.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/d15b4-dual-carb-workshop-manual-2149959/
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...al-carb-engine.
Technically what you have is neither an EG nor nor an EK. It was not called a Civic and seems to be based off of the Rover platform, if I read that right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Concerto
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are in australia then go to the closest honda dealership and they should be able to help you out as far as the manual goes. If not in Australia I would quickly become a penpal of someone in australia and have her/him look into getting one from the Honda dealership.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the help. I tried the concerto manual and so far no luck. It doesnt look like my carby??

Today, I am very happy!

Went to my local auto parts store with my carby and as I was paying for my carb cleaner and gasket, this mechanic enthusiast came up to me asking what car my carby came from. To cut this story short, I told him about my fuel mixture problem and he told me how to adjust it

Apparently, you open the two little lids on the carby and there will be a piston in there that helps adjust the fuel to air mixture ratio. You unscrew a screw that holds the piston to make it loose and you use a calipre for measurement and raise the piston for more fuel or lower it for less fuel. You have to match the two pistons height and try to be atleast no more than 1mm off or else it will run rough.

Very amazed at how some people off the street would help a stranger. I decided to look at my carby again when I got home and noticed where the auto choke was that raised and pushed the cam for idle. I decided to adjust the screw next to it which helped lower my idle down to 900rpm.

Hopefully this fixes my idle issue and as for the black smoke issue. I am thinking of maybe replacing the auto choke with the wreckers version or either adjusting the carburetor pistons as described above, but I am unsure as to how this would solve the black smoke issue since black smoke only occurs when the engine is not warm. So I am thinking if I adjust it lower, then maybe, once it is warm, it will run with not enough fuel in the mixture.

Any opinions out there??

Should I salvage some parts from the wrecker carby and install it on my car and if so, which do you think would help solve the black smoke on cold engine issue?

Note that, when the weather is very cold or raining and I start the car, the black smoke issue does not occur, even though the engine is not warm. The black smoke mostly occurs when the weather is fine and I start the car and the engine is not warm.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 93 Civic with Twin Carby D15B42 engine - need help with fuel mix problem

hey guys im new to this forum and i own a eg civic 93 sedan and its blowing out white smoke and according to my roomate its burning engine oil or it could be the fuel mixture or something like that. im not really good with engines could anyone help me out? cheers.