Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic Temperature Gauge

While driving to work the other day, I noticed that the coolant temperature gauge wasn't moving on my 93 Civic LX.

When I got back home from work, I checked out the wiring and it was a little dirty and the connections were on the verge of breaking off. I fixed the wiring and verified that voltage was getting to the connector.

I have a repair manual for this car and they said that one thing to do is to "ground" out the wire that goes to the connector that plugs into the sensor at the engine.

They weren't very clear on what they meant by grounding out the wire. I assumed they meant to ground out this one wire that is part of the connector wiring harness and when done correctly, the temp gauge would peg all the way to HOT.

If it did do this, then it was the sensor that was faulty. Has anyone here ever had this happen to them?

I just bought a sensor, but don't want to install it if it's not the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

p.s. I took out the gauge cluster to make sure that connections on the back were not loose...they weren't.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 Civic Temperature Gauge (jlh911) SOLVED!

For those that might have a similar problem or who have been following my posts..

I did contact the dealer and they shed some light on what may be happening with this temperature gauge not working. Sure enough there is a Thermo switch under the Temperature Sensor. I did notice there was one wire just "hanging" loose, but couldn't find where it was supposed to go.

Under the Temp Sensor there was what looked like a Vacuum plug...or so it seemed.

What it actually was is a hardened plastic boot that when I removed, revealed the Thermo Sensor!!

I took it off and peeled some of the hardened plastic off and found the other end of the previously mentioned "loose" wire!

So after some soldering and with a little electrical tape to protect the wire I plugged it back and and the gauge worked!

Thanks to all who helped!!!

Thanks again!