Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic LX with multiple issues -- need help on repairs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic LX with multiple issues -- need help on repairs!

Hello all! Im brand new to the world of civics, and i come from the world of the firebird! I rencently Bought a 93 lx with 169, xxx on the odo. The car had been sitting for 5 years, so I did a little bit of fixing on it. Just a heads up this thread will be a little lengthy.

What I've done thus far:
replaced master cylinder
oil change
marvel mystery oil in gas tank and oil
spark plugs and wire

So with all these repairs I'm still having problems. They are as follows
1) I have a coolant leak! When I added the new coolant (there was only a small amount if any when I got the car) it was in there for maybe a day max before I found it all over my driveway. I started to replace the lower radiator hose but it got to dark to quick and I had to put that off for a bit. Hopefully the hose will fix that problem.

2) after multiple attempts bleeding the brakes, I still have maybe 10% brake power. The handbrake works like a charm, but the brake pedal isn't giving me anything. I did bench bleed the master cylinder before I put it on, and did the two person method for each caliper, going furthest and working my way closer.

3) the little lever that controls cabin air temperature is stuck in the max cold position and will not budge even a towards the heat side.

4) when I changed the spark plugs, I noticed that I had a little bit of oil on the ends of all 4 of the old plugs.

5)my idle fluctuates from 1500-2000 when the car gets to operating temp, then the range starts lowering, going down to 1400-1900 then 1300-1800 and so on until it gets to about 1000-1500. I cleaned the IACV with carb cleaner, and it still does it.

5) my trunk absolutely does not want to open. The trunk lever doesn't pop the trunk, I can't lower the backseat with the key, and I can't open the trunk with the key.

6) brake lights are forever on, I read somewhere that j could put a 1/4" nut on the pedal and it would fix it. Can I get yalls thoughts?

There are a few more problems, and I'm sure I'll discover some more, but if I could get some info on these I'll be forever greatful. I hope this board is as great as the firebird boards!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 93 Civic LX with multiple issues -- need help on repairs!

Is the check engine light on? If so , get the codes and post them, we can help you sort that out, as for the trunk,it should open with the key from back seat, does the ignition key lock the doors?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by airstrike
Hello all! Im brand new to the world of civics, and i come from the world of the firebird! I rencently Bought a 93 lx with 169, xxx on the odo. The car had been sitting for 5 years, so I did a little bit of fixing on it. Just a heads up this thread will be a little lengthy.

What I've done thus far:
replaced master cylinder
oil change
marvel mystery oil in gas tank and oil
spark plugs and wire

So with all these repairs I'm still having problems. They are as follows
1) I have a coolant leak! When I added the new coolant (there was only a small amount if any when I got the car) it was in there for maybe a day max before I found it all over my driveway. I started to replace the lower radiator hose but it got to dark to quick and I had to put that off for a bit. Hopefully the hose will fix that problem.

2) after multiple attempts bleeding the brakes, I still have maybe 10% brake power. The handbrake works like a charm, but the brake pedal isn't giving me anything. I did bench bleed the master cylinder before I put it on, and did the two person method for each caliper, going furthest and working my way closer.

3) the little lever that controls cabin air temperature is stuck in the max cold position and will not budge even a towards the heat side.

4) when I changed the spark plugs, I noticed that I had a little bit of oil on the ends of all 4 of the old plugs.

5)my idle fluctuates from 1500-2000 when the car gets to operating temp, then the range starts lowering, going down to 1400-1900 then 1300-1800 and so on until it gets to about 1000-1500. I cleaned the IACV with carb cleaner, and it still does it.

5) my trunk absolutely does not want to open. The trunk lever doesn't pop the trunk, I can't lower the backseat with the key, and I can't open the trunk with the key.

6) brake lights are forever on, I read somewhere that j could put a 1/4" nut on the pedal and it would fix it. Can I get yalls thoughts?

There are a few more problems, and I'm sure I'll discover some more, but if I could get some info on these I'll be forever greatful. I hope this board is as great as the firebird boards!
Nice post format!! Proper English, punctuation, paragraphs and no rambling!!

First, google "helms honda civic factory service manual" and look at the sixth link down.

Find the brake bleeding sequence, for Honda Civic it isn't rear to front. I don't have my Helms in front of me now, but there is a specific order to bleed them in. How do your front calipers look? What's their condition? Ease of movement, slider pins, rubber boots?

Does the exhaust smoke at all? Have you done a compression test?

Hopefully you are getting any bad smells from the trunk!! Maybe the service manual can help you find a way in.

Edit: What's with the url links in my post?

eH.

Last edited by eHMxhACk; 11-15-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Irony.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your brake caliper slide pins are likely stuck. That's probably why you can't get braking effectivity.

Your idle fluctuates because of the lack of coolant.

Your blend door lever is probably rusted in place...along with your trunk latch. The blend door lever is located near the firewall...on one of the heater hoses.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brake lights constantly on is a simple fix if its the pedal switch. Did you find little chunks of plastic that look like crayon in your driver foot well? If you did (or someone already cleaned them up) check the brake pedal. there is a little stopper that fits in one of the holes that presses against the brake switch to turn off the lights. If this is missing then you need to get a stopper pad. (Look up brake or clutch stopper pads in search, its the same part number and like 4 bucks from the dealer). Other people have reported good results with gluing a penny or something solid (I used a piece of cardboard taped over the hole until I could get one from the dealer). There might be a dorman aftermarket, but I have never looked. I checked now and its Dorman 74015 (The one with the pointed end)

Last edited by angrysmileyface; 11-15-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Fixed info
Old 11-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Trial User

Sorry for the late reply, and not using quotes (still new to threads). I'd like to absolutely thank yall for the quick reply. I posted on club civic, and my first reply was a week later:/

I havent really had an in depth look at the calipers minus from what ive seen bleeding them. What exactly should i be looking for? Any tests i should perform on it?

Is there any way I could get a picture or diagram of the brake sliding pin? Also, what difficulty of work would that be? I'm still somewhat new to mechanics, and these Hondas are a whole new beast for me. What would I be doing to remedy this problem?

No smoke in the exhaust, and no compression test has been done

Also, what is a blend lever door? And diagrams or pics of that if possible?

The car isn't throwing and CELs, but that could be due to the fact that since it's not running properly, I'm storing it with the battery unplugged. Gotta tackle that brake light (thanks for the advice angrysmileyface) problem before I can keep the battery hooked up. I also didn't find the little crayon tip.

Also, since yall are so helpful, I figure I could pass this site onto yall. Any car, any repair manual all for free.

User: marshall
pass: public
http://search.ebscohost.com

I'm not sure how useful it would be for hondas, but it was pretty amazing for the bird.

Thanks again yall!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Trial User

Alright, the helms is telling me to go right rear, left front, left rear, right front. I've bled the brakes in two sessions so far, first time was that sequence and it was still squishy, so the next session I did the traditional furthest to closest. That may be a reason. I would also like to mention that when I removed the old MC, the brake fluid was solid in the resevoir.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? Its possible its stuck open a small bit with build up, causing your idle to be higher than normal. Also, have you cleaned the fitv as well? There are many great write ups in the faqs especially well documented from RonJ
Old 11-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Trial User

Didn't think to clean the throttle body. I did have a 3k idle today, so it might just be stuck open a tad. When I went to the nearest oriellys earlier, they told me that my model didn't have a fitv. I heard about those on a video on youtube. Any general location on that? From my understanding I can just spray it down with carb cleaner, let it dry, then make sure it's screwed in nice and snug.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well not knowing what motor you have in the 93LX it's usually under the throttle body unless someone has blocked it off.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Trial User

It's a 1.5, I know that much. If I'm not mistaken, it's the D15b7. Once again, my knowledge of hondas isn't to broad.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This will help you find your engine.

Sounds like the last owner didn't take care of it, but, will a little help, you can bring her back to life.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 93 Civic LX with multiple issues -- need help on repairs!

Thanks a million for that picture! Yeah, he didn't do to well. He let it sit in a parking garage for 5 years before brining it back to the house and letting it sir for a few months. Hopefully I can get her back to life, I m excited for this! Even thinking of getting a vtec head to throw on it