Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic lx, d15b7 stock -- fuel pump won't prime

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic lx, d15b7 stock -- fuel pump won't prime

Ok, a few weeks ago, I drove about 50 miles, I turned off my car, and I went to turn it on a minute later, and my car fired up, but then immediately shut off. I tried to start it up again, and it cranked fine, but just would not start. I got my car towed home. I checked all grounds, everything seemed fine, I did a compression test, and I have compression, I checked for spark, and I have spark. I have no blown fuses, and no CEL. I even tried the jumper wire, and my CEL just stayed on, which from what I read means there are no codes. I can hear and feel my main realy clicking. I could not hear my fuel pump prime, so I went to my fuel filter, and loosened the service bolt on top of the fuel filter, and then the banjo bolt, and I had no fuel come out of the line at all! I could see fuel in the filter, but I guess since there was no fuel coming out of the line when I took it off, I must not have any fuel pressure. how can I determine that it is for sure the fuel pump? any help would be appreciated!
93 civic lx, d15b7 stock
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Possible fuel pump problem

Start by resoldering the main relay:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

If the pump still won't prime, do this:

Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic lx, d15b7 stock -- fuel pump won't prime

how do I test the main relay?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ron, you always got the answers! well I am not very good with a multimeter, I can wrench, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I am in the dark! but I did the test with an analog meter, and I am not sure which numbers to go by, the numbers on the plug housing, or the numbers on the chart, but when tried both ways, my meter does not move... does this mean my relay is bad? oh and the solder connections look fine
Old 10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so if I did the main relay test right, it said my relay failed, but I put it in my friends 00 ek, and it started?!?!? so now I know my relay is good, so im gonna buy a fuel pump, if that doesnt fix my problem, what else can cause no fuel pressure??
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The strategy of guessing the problem and buying replacement parts gets expensive. Learn to do the basic tests in the diagrams I posted.

By the way, main relays are notorious for failing intermittently, so I would not rule it out unless you resolder it.

Last edited by Former User; 10-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you just take out your friends fuel pump and put it in your car to test it. It only takes like 25 minutes to do.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can testify to the relay problem. Ended up changing the fuel pump out just becuase I happened to have a spare laying around. Thought I fixed it until I got stuck in a walmart parking lot. Called up a tuner buddy, told him what was happening, and he instructed me to "firmly" slap under and to the left of the steering column. Did that a few time, I heard the pump prime, and she fired right up. Fuel pump relay all day!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been living with a very similar issue on my 93 DX D15B7 for like a year now along with a different issue.

First thing in the morning the main relay connects fine and she starts right up. If I stop at a gas station or something and cut it off then try to start it up again it will run for a second then die. The fuel pump does prime but it just dies and I'm not sure why. I have to rev the engine just at the right time while starting to get it to stay running. <--- *that's one issue.*

*Second issue is similar to yours.* So then i'll try to start it up again and the relay won't connect and I don't hear priming. I'll sit there and click the ignition switch on and off until I hear priming. Sometimes it connects after only a few clicks. Other times, especially when it's hot and humid out I may sit and click the ignition on and off for ten minutes before getting a connection.

I need to replace my main relay or resolder it before I end up stranded for good.

The moral or lesson I'm trying to get through is if you turn the ignition switch on and get no relay contact, just keep clicking off and on until it does connect.

And now for my question... Could a faulty main relay be causing my car to die even if I get relay contact and fuel pump priming?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dudenhymer
I've been living with a very similar issue on my 93 DX D15B7 for like a year now along with a different issue.

First thing in the morning the main relay connects fine and she starts right up. If I stop at a gas station or something and cut it off then try to start it up again it will run for a second then die. The fuel pump does prime but it just dies and I'm not sure why. I have to rev the engine just at the right time while starting to get it to stay running. <--- *that's one issue.*

*Second issue is similar to yours.* So then i'll try to start it up again and the relay won't connect and I don't hear priming. I'll sit there and click the ignition switch on and off until I hear priming. Sometimes it connects after only a few clicks. Other times, especially when it's hot and humid out I may sit and click the ignition on and off for ten minutes before getting a connection.

I need to replace my main relay or resolder it before I end up stranded for good.

The moral or lesson I'm trying to get through is if you turn the ignition switch on and get no relay contact, just keep clicking off and on until it does connect.

And now for my question... Could a faulty main relay be causing my car to die even if I get relay contact and fuel pump priming?
That sounds like your fuel pump man. I had the same issue with my TRE 255LPH. It would start fine in the morning, but usually after school I would start it up and then it would die. I had this issue on and off for about a month before i got stuck somewhere for about an hour before I got it to start again. After that I just replaced it with my stock one for about a week while I ordered a Walbro 255.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks for the suggestion. I'll pick one up and slap her in see what happens.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dudenhymer

Went through this recently and would go out and hit my gas tank with a hammer a couple times and try the car. Sometimes it would fire right up, sometimes it took a few more shots. This only happened when I was on the water front though, now that i'm back in philly i've had no issues, but back up in parker right on the water it would take 20 minutes to start the car sometimes, including disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert
Went through this recently and would go out and hit my gas tank with a hammer a couple times and try the car. Sometimes it would fire right up, sometimes it took a few more shots. This only happened when I was on the water front though, now that i'm back in philly i've had no issues, but back up in parker right on the water it would take 20 minutes to start the car sometimes, including disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.
this is a 2 year old thread