Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic, i cant figure out the IDLE issue. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic, i cant figure out the IDLE issue. please help.

hello all.

quick introduction : 1993 honda civic cx with a 1996 b18b swap.

the problem : car idles at 1200 at startup and then rises to 1600 after driving for 10 minutes.

what ive done so far :

1. cleaned the IACV - didnt make a difference (96 ls doesnt have an FITV)

***i got a GSR IACV valve today, put it on, and when i start the car, it idles at 2000 and then slowly comes down to 1500. is the GSR IACV valve different than the LS?***

2. covered the throttle body when the car was idling...it sucked on the palm of my hand like pamela andeson on tommy lee....thats another story . but yeah, basicaly i think there is no vacum leak cuz it sucked really hard on my hand, and the pressure held.

3. unplugged the MAP sensor, the car died. i think this is a good thing. correct me if im wrong.

4. unplugged both the IACV and TPS plugs, and nothing happened. car kept idling. does thios mean the sensors are bad?

***and finally, the TPS reads 0.33 volts at key turned ON (II). and this is with the throttle adjustment screw (the one that keeps the thing that the throttle cable is attached to) all the way out. so the throttle thing is not touching the screw. if i adjust the TPS to 0.45 volts, the car idles at 2200 rpm.****

im no gearhead but ive done the things you guys mention to do. this is my daily driver and i really need some help. someone please help me.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 93 civic, i cant figure out the IDLE issue. please help.

When you did the Anderson/Lee palm test, were you able to kill the engine? If you block the port in the throttle body leading to the IACV with your finger, does the idle speed decrease? Nonetheless, the fact that unplugging the IACV did not affect the idle speed suggests that you have a major leak from a vacuum hose or from the throttle body or IM gasket. Start your search for the problem there. When you have solved the air leak problem, then readjust your TPS to spec voltage.

Also try bleeding the cooling system of possible trapped air.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need an IAC sounds like the one you got is bad. Car should die or idle down when you unplug the IAC. Find a known good one and try it, see how that does.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
When you did the Anderson/Lee palm test, were you able to kill the engine? If you block the port in the throttle body leading to the IACV with your finger, does the idle speed decrease? Nonetheless, the fact that unplugging the IACV did not affect the idle speed suggests that you have a major leak from a vacuum hose or from the throttle body or IM gasket. Start your search for the problem there. When you have solved the air leak problem, then readjust your TPS to spec voltage.

Also try bleeding the cooling system of possible trapped air.
Ron my man, lol. answered every one of my idle issue questions lol. when i did the palm test, it killed the engine. and it hurt my palm cuz it sucked so bad. i cant remember what it did when i blocked the port. i will try in the morning. um, i figured that when unplugging the iacv sensor and it not doing anythign, that it was a bad sign. okay, il check and recheck for vacuum leaks. is there any easy way to look for a vacuum leak? also, when i was putting my intake manifold back on, i cross-threaded one of the bolts that attached the intake mani to the head. should i try tightening the bolts? and il do an oil change and coolant flush. how do i check for air in thecoolant lines?

Originally Posted by Civicfanatic_09
Sounds like you need an IAC sounds like the one you got is bad. Car should die or idle down when you unplug the IAC. Find a known good one and try it, see how that does.
yeah when i put my stock IACV back on, it idle at 1200. idk what the deal is lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civicfanatic_09
I agree with this idea if you find that covering the IACV port in the throttle body reduces the idle speed. If not, continue your search for a vacuum or intake air leak.

Is the CEL on?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Leaks:

Check for disconnected hoses, improperly torqued throttle body and IM bolts, and bad gaskets. Sometimes such leaks will cause a hissing noise.

Bleeding the cooling system:

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with this idea if you find that covering the IACV port in the throttle body reduces the idle speed. If not, continue your search for a vacuum or intake air leak.

Is the CEL on?
wait, so if i cover the iacv port in the tb and the car DOES reduce idle speed this is bad or good? and if it doesnt reduce idle speed?

yes one CEL but its saying the vtec solenoid isnt connected. its a non vtec engine so the plugs are there just not connected to anythign.

Leaks:

Check for disconnected hoses, improperly torqued throttle body and IM bolts, and bad gaskets. Sometimes such leaks will cause a hissing noise.

Bleeding the cooling system:

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

and thank you for this
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

watermelon
Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1nsoman1ac
wait, so if i cover the iacv port in the tb and the car DOES reduce idle speed this is bad or good? and if it doesnt reduce idle speed?
If the idle speed settles down when you cover the IACV port in the throttle body, then the problem might be the IACV. If covering the port has no effect, then work hard on finding a vacuum or intake air leak.