Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic goes in gear won't move

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic goes in gear won't move

Just completed an engine rebuild and clutch/pressure plate/ throw out replace on d15 with manual. Car was moving fine before, no transmission problems. After I got the engine and tranny installed and running I drove it down a long driveway and back, no issues. Shifted 1, 2,3 and rev and was fine. Went for a road run and felt something move halfway through 1st and tranny stopped giving power. It didn't feel like something broke just like something shifted or popped out of place. Kinda hard to describe.

Car shifts through all gears, speedo responds.Jacked it up spin one tire, other won't spin. Right axle doesn't look flush with tranny. Take it out, not broken. Seal on tranny looks slightly pushed out on one side and it looked like it was leaking prior to the malfunction, tranny oil on bottom of case from this area (it was cleaned when I had it out of the car so this is fresh). Get the seal pushed backed in, re-install axle and it bottoms out but it does not look flush. maybe a half inch between axle and tranny. rotate it by hand and I can hear the tranny moving.

Hope that was a sufficient explanation. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts
Default Re: 93 Civic goes in gear won't move

Your axle is not being installed fully into the transmission. Continuing to run the engine while the clutch is engaged (seeing the speedometer rise while sitting still) may do damage to the splines of both the axle and differential, not to mention leaving all of that shaved steel inside the transmission case. A proper axle WILL fit flush with only a thin gap between the inboard axle joint face and the transmission case. It is hard to get proper leverage on an axle when fully installed... I have found that the easiest way to "knock an axle home" is to have the knuckle/spindle separated from the lower control arm (lower ball joint not installed yet), and with the inboard joint properly aligned with the splines of the differential and the outer splines pushed through the hub with the axle nut started... "Knock" the axle home using the knuckle assembly. I do this with both hands on the brake rotor at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions using a short, sharp and quick push. Draw back an inch and a half and repeat... just be careful not to pull back too far or you may pull the trunion/tripod and bearings out of the inboard joint.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
Just completed an engine rebuild and clutch/pressure plate/ throw out replace on d15 with manual. Car was moving fine before, no transmission problems. After I got the engine and tranny installed and running I drove it down a long driveway and back, no issues. Shifted 1, 2,3 and rev and was fine. Went for a road run and felt something move halfway through 1st and tranny stopped giving power. It didn't feel like something broke just like something shifted or popped out of place. Kinda hard to describe.

Car shifts through all gears, speedo responds.Jacked it up spin one tire, other won't spin. Right axle doesn't look flush with tranny. Take it out, not broken. Seal on tranny looks slightly pushed out on one side and it looked like it was leaking prior to the malfunction, tranny oil on bottom of case from this area (it was cleaned when I had it out of the car so this is fresh). Get the seal pushed backed in, re-install axle and it bottoms out but it does not look flush. maybe a half inch between axle and tranny. rotate it by hand and I can hear the tranny moving.

Hope that was a sufficient explanation. Thanks in advance.
you gotta pop the axle pretty good sometimes while doing the install to get it in. I agree with the other comment, it don’t sound like the axle is in all the way and not catching
Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

OP, your explanation was perfect !!! Very informative and descriptive. This is why we can help you so quickly... and with precise suggestions. Great job.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I shall pop a little harder. I have installed Honda axles before and they all seemed to go in pretty easy. I didnt want to start forcing one and tear something up.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll update.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:50 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Look under the car. Likely, you will see transmission fluid underneath. Push the axle(s) back in and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bumped the axle in with a dead blow hammer and that did the trick. My concern now is that the CV joint over compressed and allowed it to pop out in the first place.

Won't crank now and I cant hear the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on. SMH.

Thanks for the help!