Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   93 Civic EX - High Idle, TACH, OVERHEATING, etc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/93-civic-ex-high-idle-tach-overheating-etc-952105/)

HondaVTEC93 08-07-2004 09:44 PM

93 Civic EX - High Idle, TACH, OVERHEATING, etc

Question: I have a 93 Civic EX (D16Z6), and recently started to idle at 2200 rpms cold. Once warm its at 1200-1500 rpms it wont stay at a normal rpm it changes every 3 secs. from 12-1500 rpms...and its frustrating cause ive dumped enough money to keep the distributer going. I overheated the radiator 6 times racing in Philly, so the thermostat isnt working prolly, and my timing is advanced 4 degrees. Engine has 167,076 miles on it. Also the TACH in the gauge cluster is not working properly. It bounces around from like 3-5000 rpms like it has terrets or something haha. I cant remember the last time the o2 sensor was replaced either. Any suggestions would help me out a lot i appreciate it. Thanks. Stan.

ghettochild 08-07-2004 10:20 PM

Re: 93 Civic EX - High Idle, TACH, OVERHEATING, etc (HondaVTEC93)

the idle prob is your EAC electric air control valve or your IAC idle air control valve
eac behind the intake and the IAC is under your throttlebody and the jumping thing on the cluster is probably a short in your distributor like the ignitor could be messin up or something

Modified by ghettochild at 1:52 AM 8/8/2004

hatchi 08-07-2004 10:47 PM

your high idle can be caused by a dirty or faulty iacv. the tach jumping up and down is a sign that your igniter is going bad.

rentacop 08-08-2004 12:35 AM

Re: 93 Civic EX - High Idle, TACH, OVERHEATING, etc (hatchi)

Idea: Stop beating on your old ass motor. What do you expect?

You need to figure out why your motor is overheating. Thats a big issue. Change your coolant, put your timing back where it belongs. Advanced timing will cause the motor to run hotter.

JDM EJ1 95 08-08-2004 02:05 AM

ahh if your thermostat isnt working.. then obviously replace that..... it takes like 5 min.. make sure you have no air in the cooling system bc that can cause rough idles and overheating as well

HondaVTEC93 08-08-2004 01:21 PM

I fixed the overheating problem, and ill mess with the idle air control. As for the ignitor that was replaced 3 times then taken to the dealer to find that the ground was loose so ill have to look at it AGAIN. Timing is still advanced but doesnt make it run much hotter. The idle and TACH is the only problem now except earlier today (8/8/04) i broke a valve cover bolt and bent a spark plug end so its sounds rotary haha. thanks for the reply's.

civicboisi 08-08-2004 01:59 PM

get out there and pull out ur IACV...its the IACV almost all the time...when you take it off...there should be a screw type thingy in there...if you shake it and hear something loose in there, its the IACV...turn it tight, spray it clean with brake cleaner and reinstall...it's a quick and easy fix.

HondaVTEC93 08-10-2004 10:50 AM

Re: 93 Civic EX - High Idle, TACH, OVERHEATING, etc (civicboisi)

fixed all the problems but the tach. the tach still shakes, i dunno what it could be i doubt its anything in the distributer, everything is new in there. could be a grounded wire maybe. iac motor is fine, the screw for the intake manifold for idle keeps unscrewing itself...is there a screen in the VTEC selinoid i can clean to maybe get a stronger VTEC besides going add on aftermarket crap like VAFC?