Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic eg. REBUILT d15b7. Having major problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic eg. REBUILT d15b7. Having major problems.

Just want to start off by saying thanks in advance.

Okay here we go, got a 93 Civic stock d15b7. I haven't done any major modifications to the motor. The only thing I have added is a cold air intake. Headers. Basically it. Prior to my rebuild. My under-dash harness went up In Smoke, almost caught fire. I manage to be able to turn off the motor. Popped my hood and was able to disconnect the battery just before it hit vital organs in my Honda. I thought I wasn't genius and was able to try to put the harness back together, turns out I'm not that much of a genius.

Since that day I replace the harness. But the harness that I got came with a map sensor on the harness. And then I read that my car originally comes with a map sensor attached to the under-dash harness or maybe I'm wrong. Either way I have two map sensors now under dash and engine harness. Then a couple weeks ago I started getting pressure coming out of my reservoir so I thought I had air in the lines. And then my RPMs started going up and down. So I realized either I had a head gasket out or I cracked a sleeve. I found another d15b7 with the head just redone. So I bought it. I pulled my motor out, slap everything for mine on to the new one. But before that I redid head gasket and all main seals. Basically what I need to keep it from leaking on my driveway. So I put her together. Mind u.This was my first time going that far into a motor. Saying this. I'm confident in the work I did. I have all the proper tools.
EVERYTHING WAS RUNNING PERFECT BEFORE I PULLED MY MOTOR. STILL RAN STRONG. NO !CEL! INDICATIONS. I JUST STARTED TO EAT WATER SO I PULLED HER OUT.

I DIDNT TOUCH THE INSIDES OF EITHER BLOCK OR HEAD. JUST TORQUED EVERYTHING DOWN.

HERE'S​​ WHERE EVERYTHING GOES WRONG.

At this point my newer motor was together and sitting in my civic. Just plugging in my hardness. While I was tightening the WTS (water temp sensor) it snapped. ALL BAD. I was late for work already. So I was in a rush. I PULLED out all the broken pieces in a angry state and went to work.

The next morning I realized that in my stupid tempertantrum. I fuked up EVERYTHING. Nothing was going back in smoothly. So I got a little bit of JB weld and locked it in there. I know...I know. Somebody slap me. So yes I'm reading a CEL CODE #6. BUT IT STILL READS MY ENGINE JUST FINE.

THEN​​​​ I HAD NO CRANK. (NEW STARTER)
THEN I HAD NO SPARK. (REPLACED COIL)
OH YES I DID MY TIMING AND HAD A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE COME CHECK IT OUT. HE TOLD ME LOOKS GOOD.

SO I FINALLY GOT HER ON. MAN I DIDNT EXPECT TO HEAR HER RUN SO ROUGH. I MEAN ROUGH. SO I DOUBLE. CHECKED EVERYTHING. TIMING, SENSORS, FUSES (FOUND SOME BURNT AND REPLACED). NEW NGK PLUGS. (GAPPED PROPERLY)

NOTHING CHANGED. BACKFIRING. BAD IDLING. GREYISH SMOKE COMING FROM UNDER AND OUT TAIL PIPE. NO POWER. WHEN I HIT THE GAS SHE FEELS LIKE SHE WANTS TO TURN OF. WENT FOR MY TEST METER AND WENT AT IT. IM GETTIMG PROPER POWER TO EVERYTHING. BUT IM RUNNING LIKE ****. NOW MY FAN NOT KICKING ON. I DONT SMELL GAS. LEARNING AS IM GOING.

PLZ HELP ME!! THATS THE ONLY CODE IM GETTING. COULD I HAVE MISSED SOMETHING. IS IT MY TIMING. DID I BUY A BAD MOTOR. (IT LOOKED REALLY GOOD WHEN I TOOK HER APART.)

I need help. If u can give me some of ur undivided attention. I would really appreciate your input. PLZ help me understand with detailded information. THANKS FOR AT LEAST READING MY POST. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YALL SOON.

EG...
Old 12-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic eg. REBUILT d15b7. Having major problems.

I forgot to mention. I got the motor off 91 e.g. sedan
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Get a volt meter and check battery.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found out what the problem is.!!!

It's me. Smfh. I reversed a lot of ****. Lol 💀💀💀

So now it's running better. But not great. So I'm going back at it in the morning.

Now I have a squealing sound from the timing belt area. So I think I have the timing belt to tight. And I have white smoke coming out my tail pipe. Not to thick. But has like a heavy smell. Not a gas smell. Or water smell. Also I have a lack of power when I try use higher Rpms. Like it wants to shut off. So I'm going back to all these threads and see what I can find. Thx for ur response. And all my voltage going everywhere is up to par. Thx again
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Get a volt meter and check battery.
Thx big dog
Old 12-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Take care of all codes first. Do not expect it to run properly with the CEL on.

Compression test. You don't know if this new engine is good. Also look for bubbling in the radiator when you start the engine cold with the radiator cap off and rev it.

Bacfiring and won't rev high are symptoms of timing being wrong. Check cam timing marks, then set spark timing with a light. Remember the CEL test jumper must be jumpered while setting timing. If you have to move the distributor all the way to one end and the spark timing is still wrong, the timing belt is out of time.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

If your old motor was running strong and just starting to suck water, why would you buy another motor you know nothing about except what someone else tells you?

The D15B7 used a graphite head gasket which is well known to leak after some time. The odds of a cracked block or head is extremely low while the odds of the head gasket giving out is extremely high.

You just needed to do a head gasket job on your old motor and you would be back in business.

Now, you have a whole slew of issues.

One thing I question though is the harness melting.... Not only does that not sound right, but it also may have had an impact on the ECU itself.

As for the map sensor, I believe you will have to use which ever plug your chassis harness is designed for. The shock tower plug wires is totally different between the two styles and the engine harness won't make up for it without a lot of work. You may have to extend the firewall plug to reach the map on the throttle body.