Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic brake problems

93 civic si hatch.

So I replaced the calipers and pads on the front, about 3 days ago. I bleed them and all is ok when driving around except I now have a squeal coming from the rear drivers side.
so (now 3 days later) I Jack the car up pull the wheel and find the squeal is coming from the rear pad dragging.

I pull the pads out and I put them back on after giving a good cleaning of brake cleaner to the area, and re greasing the pins on the thing.

When putting the pads back in I had to fight the piston to get it pushed back in enough to clear the caliper to get it back on the thing ( yes I had the cap off the reservoir when I was pushing the piston back) but spinning the wheel now doesn't squeal.

So far so good I think, I button it all up, put the wheel back on lower the car and time to test drive it.

First problem - the emergency brake now doesn't work unless I pull it all the way up and even then it's barely woirking and you can feel that when it is grabbing it's only on the side opposite to the one I pulled off (so just the right one is engaging)

Second problem - now the front drivers side brake is dragging, you can hear it dragging.

The pedal pressure is fine and the brakes grab where they did before, except now with the front drivers side dragging without the pedal pressed and the e-brake marginal at best.

I replaced the rear calipers less than 2 years ago and have had no issues until I replaced the front calipers and pads, and even then it was alright for 3 days save the squeak from the rear until I looked at the rear brakes to address that problem.

When I bled the system after replacing the front calipers I did a full flush through of the system and got as much of the old fluid out that I could, I had no bubbles and clear clean fluid out of the bleeder valves at all 4 wheels.

Any ideas? I don't want to drive the car if the brakes are engaged because that is just going to make the engine work harder.

Help! please