Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic/B20 swap - swap in a b18 or just push my luck?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic/B20 swap - swap in a b18 or just push my luck?

Hello. Ive been checking in on HT frequently so i decided to go ahead and register. I had a couple of questions i am trying to get answered, but more in a seeking advice sort of capacity.

Heres my situation in a nutshell. i recently purchased a '93 civic hatch from a good friend of mine. Ive been out of the honda scene for the better part of 10 years. I own a '90 crx with a blown b18c5 that resides at my moms house in texas, so im familiar with building the vehicles and what not. Basically, i bought this civic and im trying to figure out what the next step is. Heres the info on the eg:
-B20
-B16 trans w/ lsd
-dc header
-intrax coilovers
-koni yellows
-password jdm upper strut bar
-exedy stage 1 clutch
-12 lb flywheel
-gsr blades

I was oblivious to the recent changes to the bar rules regarding honda swaps (you all know texas is much more lenient, at least they were when i lived there) and i am not sure how to proceed with the car. My friend was hurting for money, i was feeling nostalgic, and here i am. the car is quite clean and i enjoy driving it, even with the dirt gas mileage from spinning 3.5k at 65 mph on the freeway. i would very much like to get the car bar'd. im not going to ask for advice on how to do so, im pretty up to speed on the subject, thanks to HT threads.

Bottom line, here are the options im looking at:
1) Pull the b20 and try to bar a b18b at a more lax ref station
2) Part the car out
3) Dirty smog it and wait to get my hood popped like a n00b.

im not trying to build a 300hp race car. i like the basic setup i have now and in the future would like to do some lighter autoX with it. regardless of the bar issue, i would like to keep it as low profile as possible. if anyone has any advice or suggestions i would greatly appreciate any input you guys have. thank you in advance for you time.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Seeking general advice on an eg

*your
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think all of this was necessary. It's a simple question with a simple answer. You can't bar the b20, and you can't ref it legally. Do things right, get rid of the b20, put in something else, whether it be a b16 longblock or rebuild your other motor and that's that. We aren't here to make decisions for you, just to help with info.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would rebuild the type r motor
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Trial User

I was simply trying to explain my situation while in a way introducing myself informally to the forum. i understand the b20 cant be bar'd, that was never an issue. i also wasnt asking anyone to "make decisions for me", i was merely looking for some advice from people who have dealt with these issues in this state. i probably could have condensed it more, but chose not too. my bad. as far as the b18, the block is windowed so basically all thats worth anything on it is the head.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by beeseeries
I don't think all of this was necessary. It's a simple question with a simple answer. You can't bar the b20, and you can't ref it legally. Do things right, get rid of the b20, put in something else, whether it be a b16 longblock or rebuild your other motor and that's that. We aren't here to make decisions for you, just to help with info.
How is that so....not able to BAR the B20 motor? If it's an USDM model, yes you can. Just make sure the motor is a '93+ up with OBD1 ecu, intake manifold, etc. However, if you already have your mind set on a B18B1 motor, get that instead. The same rules apply....the entire motor has to be OBD1 compliant.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
How is that so....not able to BAR the B20 motor?
It's considered to be a light truck motor.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
How is that so....not able to BAR the B20 motor? If it's an USDM model, yes you can. Just make sure the motor is a '93+ up with OBD1 ecu, intake manifold, etc. However, if you already have your mind set on a B18B1 motor, get that instead. The same rules apply....the entire motor has to be OBD1 compliant.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
It's considered to be a light truck motor.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Attempting to bar the b20 was never a consideration. I know as well as anyone that its an absolute impossibility. To revise the question, would it be more prudent to sell the current motor/trans and swap in the b18 or just push my luck? Other then the header the engine bay is completely stock looking and I've got stock exhaust on it. Is the header alone enough for the average cop to ref it or are they savvy enough at this point to recognize a dohc motor that doesn't belong there?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditch the b20 for gsr/b16. much better overall platforms, more fun stock as well, and then you can pass your smog or whatever.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Trial User

Id go with 1 and 2. Swap out the b20 part out what you can and then smog it.

I just don't think its even worth all the hassle to cheat the smog test. Peace of mind driving everyday, ya know?