Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 VX Hatch Makeover with boost

Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 VX Hatch Makeover with boost

Well i know i dont post much just mainly a lurker but decided its time to show off what ive done. Ive used the forum for my own personal build ideas/info/help and i would have been lost without this forum. So i figured maybe i can help someone else who might need it.

Ill start from the beginning. Its hard doing a build thread after its all said and done but ill try my best. Im just looking to get some fellow honda guys opinions on what ive done and my hard work. It'd be cool to get it noticed by someone who really appreciates the hard work done.

I bought the car in April of 2011 just two months before my 18th birthday(yes im a youngin, now 19). Drove all the way from Spearfish SD to Indianapolis, IN to get it. Drove 2400 round trip in 2 days without stopping.
The guy i bought it from had done a very nice wire tuck to it and swapped a JDM D15B in it. It was a fun little car, faded paint, dents all over rust on the fenders but i loved it. The gas money i spent to get it was about half what i paid for the car ha!

This is what it looked like the day after i brought it home. (sorry my dates on the camera are wrong they werent set)

Ordered some Function and Form Type 1's the next day from getting home.

Later got some Rota Slips that i painted white and also a carbon fiber hood and trunk. Changed things here and there, front lip, small stuff like that.

Then started the paint process, took everything apart and started sanding and doing body work. And there was a lot. A deer hit the rear quarter and rolled down it and the rear fenders were both rusted out.

I had never done a lick of body work in my life or paint work for that matter. But i just went for it. It took a long time and there are still flaws but im very proud of myself.

I went for a carbon fiber vinyl vs a real roof cap, for two reasons. Price is outrageous, and i didnt feel comfortable with a huge expensive sheet of carbon fiber being held on by double sided tape.

Throughout the paint process, i took some of the interior apart, got some MOMO seats, MOMO steering wheel, Red floor mats, and Red door inserts.

Once paint was all said and done, i assembled everything including the interior and this is what i came up with.

My next project was some rear suspension stuff. I had got an integra rear disc swap when i bought the car but never got to putting it one. So decided it was time. Upgraded the brake system, master cylinder, prop valve and all new pads and slotted and drilled rotors, also Brand new Russels stainless brake lines. Finished it all out with Blox LCA's, ASR subframe brace, Beaks lower tie bar, and Blox camber and toe kit.

This is how the car stayed for awhile. Then i came across a guy that was building a z6 and never finished it. I decided i was ready to take on the challenge. It took about 3 months and some long hard work but was well worth it in the end.

Pulled the engine and started getting to work.

I dropped the whole subframe and all front suspension. Everything was replaced with all freshly powdercoated components including the subframe itself. New tie rods and ball joints also. Not a lick of the front end wasnt replaced. Went with Blox camber kit on the front also.

Undercoated the wheel wells

I then started the process of shaving the bay to accompany the already finished wire tuck. This took some time and it still isent as good as i had hoped or liked but im happy with the outcome none the less.

Then was time for the engine. Like i said, came across a guy that was building one then never finished it. I took on the task of finishing the build and then throwing it in the car. Lot of time and thought went into making it exactly how I wanted it.

The full setup is as follows:

D16z6/w JDM trans (ACT Stage 4, 4 puck clutch, ACT lightweight flywheel)

Dyno Tuned on Hondata S300- 340 whp 255 lbs tq at 16 psi on 91 pump

-Head:
Crower Turbo Grind Cam
Crower Valves, Springs, Retainers
Ported and polished
Cometic Headgasket .030
Gates Timing Belt
AEM Adjustable cam gear
Skunk2 intake manifold
Skunk2 Throttle body
AEM fuel rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator

-Block:
Benson Sleeved
CP 75.5 pistons
Eagle Rods/ARP bolts
ARP Headstuds
ACL main, rod, thrust bearings
Oem oil pump
Oem Water pump

-Turbo:
Garrett .57 Turbo
Spoolin Performance Turbo Manifold
HKS Blow Off Valve
2.5 Piping
Emusa Intercooler
Precision 39mm Wastegate
RC 750cc Injectors
Omni 3 Bar Map Sensor
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
3" Downpipe
MSD Wires
MSD Blaster SS Coil
MSD Distributor Cap

"As it sits now this is where its at. In the future i might think about e85 or something else. I still feel the car has more potential then what its tuned to, and i feel i could get more power out of it but im content at the moment. Until life slows down and i have some time ill stay here. But ive been getting an itch to go bigger and better lately so we'll see how long i can hold out"

The previous statement was what I said last year. Well coming into the end of the summer, I got a bug up my ***.. I wanted more power. So I was thinking. Ill just go e85, ive always wanted to so im gonna do it.

This original thought was ok bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors good to go....

WRONG...... Got to talking to a tuner. I told him my overall pipe dream was 500hp.. but I knew I wouldn't be able to get there. As so he also told me that's the case. So I asked what I could do to improve my setup.

He told me all kinds of little/big things. As I started changing the cheaper fixes and things, I got a little carried away and said you know what screw it. I want this and im going to do it one time the right way the first time...

So all the changes are as followed.

Installed a catch can to vent
1000cc ID injectors
Walbro 450 fuel pump
swapped the MSD for oem distributor
put on 3" straight pipe exhaust(ordering new cutout as it broke)
Tial 44mm wastegate 1 bar spring
Go Autoworks 3" piping
Tial BOV
Precision 750cc intercooler

I also sent my ecu back in and had the boost option added to it so I can run everything through the s300, something that should've been done awhile ago

Now with all these changes I still wasn't much expecting 500...

So again I said screw it, I want it. I ordered a brand new precision 6262 to set it all off...

Im currently in the process of all of this so im not finished, pictures show some of the progress. Currently waiting on my turbo, intercooler, piping, and bov to arrive, after that's all done, I should be ready for start up.

Tuning is still in the works, I was planning on going to MAPerformance in Minnesota, but my buddy is headed down to Salt Lake to have Courtney Green do his car and wants me to come with so now that's an option too...

I trimmed my bumper out quite a bit to show most of the intercooler and not cover it up, the precision intercooler isn't in the picture, that's my old one.

A lot of you may not like this, but was having a hard time mounting my catch can at the height that was needed and that I wanted so I kinda had the idea to just cut a hole in the hood and have the filters come out..... No more clearance issue, and its different, I haven't really seen it so I tried it. Plus I had an accident with my hood not being latched and it flew up and hit the window, so the hood was cracked and kinda shitty so I wasn't too worried about it. Let me know what you think.. Flame on!!! haha

I will update as I continue to work on it. Also stay tuned for dyno numbers. My Goal is 500hp... Crossing fingers! Planning on going down end of September to tune.

Also throwing around the idea of pulling the engine this winter, redoing the bay better, repainting it white again, with some metallic or pearl for accent, and if I get really crazy I wanna repaint the car.... darker red with metallic

Again i appreciate everyone looking and appreciating my work. Its always been my dream to have a car like this and better yet get it recognized in the car community and the honda community. I hope someday ill put enough work into it and get recognized by the big boys like Honda Tuning and other such as them to really show off my work. But that's a pipe dream Thanks everyone and please give me your opinions on it all. I really wanna know what fellow honda fans think

All photos courtesy of me and Fotomotive

Special thanks to My family, Great Friends, and all the supportive people in the car community
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 92 VX Hatch Makeover with boost

Did you sand off the block stamp? Otherwise I like mostly everything you did with the car.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Master Ninja

Look's good
Old 09-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately the guy that was building it did shave it down. Idk why or what he had in mind. Oh well though. Thank you though!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build.. I really like it with the white wheels looks good
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I think the wheels and bay kinda bring something out.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build, but I am not liking the cut CF hood for a catch can. Looked so clean before that
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Personally me either BUT it does keep it interesting so I can't say I completely dislike it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know I honestly wouldn't have if if was t already cracked up broken up from the accident. If/when I get a new hood ill probably change it..
Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my intercooler today. Still waiting on turbo, piping, wastegate spring/diaphragm, and bov.

But I had everything else there so I mocked it all up and went for start up.

It runs, needs major tweaks though. Wouldn't stay running at first, I had originally blocked off the iacv. I kept getting error code for idle air control, so I put it back on and hooked it up, how I thought it went, not so sure it's right though, thinking maybe that had something to do with it. Didn't help.

Adjusted the idle, quite a bit, it'll stay running now, but idles at like 6-650. Pretty low. I'm gonna do more reading tonight and see what I can come up with. I'm not good with tuning.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a bit confused as to why you put a SpeedFactory sticker on the headlight, but otherwise it looks like a pretty good build. Hopefully you meet your goals.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks pretty good. Im not really against what you did with the catch can, it looks pretty good. Do you have any issues when it rains?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by White92eg
I'm a bit confused as to why you put a SpeedFactory sticker on the headlight
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White92eg
I'm a bit confused as to why you put a SpeedFactory sticker on the headlight, but otherwise it looks like a pretty good build. Hopefully you meet your goals.
Thanks! haha the sticker was on my hood where i cut the hole so i peeled it off and stuck it there instead of throwing it on the floor haha. Its not actually there just was for that picture haha

Originally Posted by HatchVX
Looks pretty good. Im not really against what you did with the catch can, it looks pretty good. Do you have any issues when it rains?
havent even driven it yet, still getting things together and figured out. I dont often drive it during the rain anyway though i try to avoid it
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn. Looks good!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Retired Moderator

500WHP is a totally different animal..

This is turning into a track only car as going to the 7-11 for a slurpee with this beast should be quite interesting.

Im not liking the Beaks bar on the ASR bar. That ASR is good enough bracing.

As far as the turbo selection, I wouldve looked at an STC Silver Surfer or Wolverine before going the 6262 route. Quick response, custom housings and can hold up to 500+ with power coming in around the 13-15 range. Power all the way to shift point. These arent an off the shelf turbo like the 6262. Just my suggestion.

And we come to that catchcan. Since you spent upwards of 10k+ in this build. I wouldve found a catch that wouldve fit.

At this point, you dont even need an exhaust. You might as well point the DP out the top or side and start loooking for 9sec passes.

Nice work on everything done.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
500WHP is a totally different animal..

This is turning into a track only car as going to the 7-11 for a slurpee with this beast should be quite interesting.

Im not liking the Beaks bar on the ASR bar. That ASR is good enough bracing.

As far as the turbo selection, I wouldve looked at an STC Silver Surfer or Wolverine before going the 6262 route. Quick response, custom housings and can hold up to 500+ with power coming in around the 13-15 range. Power all the way to shift point. These arent an off the shelf turbo like the 6262. Just my suggestion.

And we come to that catchcan. Since you spent upwards of 10k+ in this build. I wouldve found a catch that wouldve fit.

At this point, you dont even need an exhaust. You might as well point the DP out the top or side and start loooking for 9sec passes.

Nice work on everything done.
Thanks for the feedback.

like stated before, the catch can was just kinda an in the moment thing. When/if i get a new hood(this one was previously broken as stated which is why i cut) ill do some changes and it'll fit.

Exhaust.... I do wanna cruise it around, and i will. Its not a race car, wasnt intended to be but if i wanna go to the track and have fun i can without being bored.

Its what ive always wanted to do. Not race car, not boring *** cruiser, right in the middle. i really do like it
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Retired Moderator

LOL

you were in the middle back at 340!

now your shooting for a 500hp 2000lb car. Hope your boosting by gear as I dont see traction in your future.

I wouldve just changed your turbo, kept the 750's and gotten close to 500.

But if your going E85, then yea, 1000's were needed.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL

you were in the middle back at 340!

now your shooting for a 500hp 2000lb car. Hope your boosting by gear as I dont see traction in your future.

I wouldve just changed your turbo, kept the 750's and gotten close to 500.

But if your going E85, then yea, 1000's were needed.
Yeah boost by gear. I wanted to go e85 so the 1000's were necessity.

Its just a toy. ive gone overboard by far but you always want more. Im sure ill finish with this then a year from now want more. But its just something to tinker with haha
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Retired Moderator

you better get a cage for that beast.. cuz the first time you hit the track after your 1st run, they will ban you until you get one .
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you better get a cage for that beast.. cuz the first time you hit the track after your 1st run, they will ban you until you get one .
that is a possibility now that you say it..
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Retired Moderator

LOL

Somewhere in the middle huh...

Your headed to the end of the spectrum..
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha in over my head! Oh well, its been fun and continues to keep me interested and going so ill just do it up
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Retired Moderator

By all means,, go on with yo bad self!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan to!!

just recieved the turbo and bov today

Search this Thread