Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 VX front end clunking, steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 VX front end clunking, steering rack?

This car has a clunking knocking type sound in the front end when going over bumps or dips on the road, down a gravel road it's really noticeable. Also shakes a little when getting around 75-80 mph, could be unrelated like tires but worth mentioning.

I've been slowly redoing everything on car and while I did find a blown out lower control arm bushing that was literally the only bad thing I've found.

Replaced upper control arm assemblies/ new bushings and balljoint, lower control arm bushings, lower balljoint, radius arm bushings, new outer tie rods. Previous owner replaced front struts as well because he thought they were the culprit, I checked those and they are tight. Cv shafts are tight, hub bearings are tight. It sounds the same before and after all those parts.

The only thing left is either inner tie rods or steering rack. One thing I notice is when I jack the front end up and bump the tire at 3 or 9 o'clock position real good with my hand I hear what seems like a knocking noise and used stethoscope on the rack while doing that, sound is concentrated In that area.

I've always thought they made clunking noise when turning and stuff, I can't get the noise to change when turning the wheel one way or another driving down the road, dips and bumps cause the noise regardless of what I'm doing with the wheel. This car also has no front sway bar and is bone stock.

Any help would be appreciated never messed with manual racks before.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 VX front end clunking, steering rack?

The rack bushings could be causing noise the issue. Check this link out: http://http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/
Old 07-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all the bushings again, also tie rod ends, ball joints, and check the upper strut mounts. Even though the previous owner swapped the struts he probably reused the old top hats that have bushing and bearings in them.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All the bushings are good, every single one ive replaced myself, along with brand new upper and lower balljoints, brand new tie rod ends, noise isnt coming from them. the entire struts look brand new, ive wiggled everything by hand and pry bar plus pull my hands in areas while wiggling the wheel.

Good point with the top hats they seemed tight and noise sounds down lower but ill check into those.

Ill have to look into the rack some more, the noise from the rack is like a vertical play noise not a horizontal play issue if that makes sense. Whatever is worn makes more noise up and down, wasnt sure if the manual racks have bushings, and some racks you can tighten up i believe but that might be the same issue as in tightening steering boxes where it doesnt last long after and needs to just be replaced outright.