Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Teal DX Hatch Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default close

Site is full of ****** haters. Please close thread.

Last edited by Rttix1337; 03-16-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: 92 Teal DX Hatch Build Thread

I'll give you $2,000 for the car now. As it sits. Before you ruin it.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not understanding How anything I've had planned would ruin it. I purchased it for $1700 and have put a couple hundred into fixing the things wrong with it. replaced the rear drum boots, new front disc rotors and pads, new distributor and plugs/wires. A couple other things but you get my drift. All the sketchy things were done by the previous owner.

Everything I do I do at my friends Auto shop so it's done correctly and not makeshift.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by Rttix1337
Introduction to myself:

What I've done so far:

Plasti-dipped roof
Plasti-dipped Emblems

FUTURE PLANS:

Extended lug nuts (Rainbow Style)
Black w/smoked lens foglights
Roof Rack w/fairing
HID Headlights
Hood Bra
OEM Style Carbon Fiber Hood (I was considering Invader Style but it may be too much)
Back wiper removal kit (on the way)
possibly make headliner teal plaid
Replace carpet with Truck Bedliner. ( will this also double as sound deadner?)
Used DC Sports Headers
Megan Racing M-Spec II Muffler
Larger Front and Rear Sway Bars
Poly Bushings
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Why?

You didn't even mention reigning in the small amount of rust on the quarters. You've got a nice car. Why let it continue to rot while you install a plaid headliner and use truck bedliner to replace the crappy carpet instead of buying a used OEM carpet and cleaning it up?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who said I wasn't cleaning up the rust? I just didn't list it. Fixing the rust (done right would be to install all new sheet metal, which is too expensive for myself) and to paint also after bondo will cost me a pretty penny. Therefor it is something I have to wait a small amount of time to do.

Plaid headliner is personal taste. I hate the look of the gray/tan plastic crap in there now. It is not aesthetically pleasing at all. It's also a cheap thing to do. Some fabric and adhesive and not much more than time.

The emblems matched none of the car, therefore, make them black. The roof was riddled with dents, therefore make it matte black, make them not as noticeable, and break up the massive amount of teal.

I snowboard, BMX, and do plenty of other sports that would require the roof rack. And the carbon fiber hood is a maybe scenario. It's not something that is set in stone.

The carpet in the car currently is cheap. And I've always hated carpeting in cars. They get dirty quick, filled with mud, water, and various other things. Bedliner is fairly light, has sound proofing capabilities and cleans up very easily.

I never stated the order in which anything was being done. This is going to be a project over time, seeing as it is my daily driver as I complete getting my Eagle scout, and to and from college next year.

A lot of the things you mentioned were aesthetics. I don't judge you on your car's look. Especially the stripe going across the hood of the car. Everyone has their own personal preference. If every car was the same there would be nothing fun, or personal about it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be interestng to see where this goes...

Forced induction is not going to agree with 87 octane gas....and thats the only way you are going to get a single cam to 175whp. If you choose to stay single cam and autotragic, add "build tranny" to your list. They dont do well at really any higher hp than 110-ish whp.

If staying auto is an absolute must(cant grasp why yet) look into a auto b18b1 swap. Will get you to your hp goal much easier, although the swap is tougher to do and will still need to build the trans for your goal. Honda automatic trannies suck needlesstosay.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR

Forced induction is not going to agree with 87 octane gas....and thats the only way you are going to get a single cam to 175whp. If you choose to stay single cam and autotragic, add "build tranny" to your list. They dont do well at really any higher hp than 110-ish whp.

If staying auto is an absolute must(cant grasp why yet) look into a auto b18b1 swap. Will get you to your hp goal much easier, although the swap is tougher to do and will still need to build the trans for your goal. Honda automatic trannies suck needlesstosay.
Exactly why I'm trying to steer away from Forced induction. I don't have the money to do it correctly, or with good parts, and can't afford the gas.

Do no DOHC engines connect to automatic transmissions? I've done a bit of research but honestly never thought to look at that. I'm going to look up the engine now, and see about the tranny question, but if you have an answer feel free to post. It always helps to have a 100% answer.

I know the transmissions suck. I was told that by my mechanic before getting it. They're also extremely hard to come by. I hate driving manual. The clutch irritates the hell out of me. I just like to put it in drive and go. Especially for situations like one of my jobs that requires me to stop at each and every house, and a manual (as we've done before) is the most annoying car for that job.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 AM
talks to himself

A lot of the things you mentioned were aesthetics. I don't judge you on your car's look. Especially the stripe going across the hood of the car. Everyone has their own personal preference. If every car was the same there would be nothing fun, or personal about it.

Yeah... sorry... I usually don't bash builds. It must be the time change making me act like more of a d'ck than normal.

I regret the stripe and mirrors. It's actually kind nice that someone's called me out on them. Surprisingly no one has, yet. I accidentally closed my garage door on my car while backing out last summer so... I need to repaint the roof. Maybe I'll get the hood, fender, and mirrors as well.

I've never driven an automatic 5th gen. civic but I can't imagine the technology behind the computer is that great. Especially for a performance build. Maybe think long and hard about your choice before dumping money into anything. There's a lot of people here that know a heck of a lot about transmissions. They'll be good resources.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM
talks to himself

Do no DOHC engines connect to automatic transmissions?
There are plenty. Most Acuras and Hondas had options for an auto-tranny. It's just that back in the day manuals were cheaper. Now, for some reason, it's an option that costs more money on new cars.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave it alone!! Leave it bone stock, do routine maintenance and just drive it. It'll end up being worth more later that way anyways.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u got the car for 1700 not bad, Good Luck on ur build. DO what pleases you. haters will hate
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll have to decide for yourself which direction to go on tight budget.
Show or go. Good luck trying to do a twin cam swap anytime "soon" while trying to do all the aesthetics you mentioned. I agree B18B is best "budget" swap option. Fyi d series trans will not bolt to any b series.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR

the auto trans of a b series is bigger then a D series auto. to do the swap u would have to knotch the subframe. not worth it in my opinion. a 5 speed swap should be first.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post some more pics of the interior.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
You'll have to decide for yourself which direction to go on tight budget.
Show or go. Good luck trying to do a twin cam swap anytime "soon" while trying to do all the aesthetics you mentioned. I agree B18B is best "budget" swap option. Fyi d series trans will not bolt to any b series.
Yea, I plan on building the engine up over time. I'm not looking at doing it in a month. My engine is perfectly fine as is, and shows no signs of dying, so why change it? Once the mileage gets higher, and the engine has problems I'll have a nice swap ready for it.

The B18b shows on a 95 teg that it gets 22/29 mpg. Now would it get better mileage in a EG? I am looking to achieve around 30 combined seeing as I drive upwards of 70 miles a day and it's just not a financially good option to put an engine with bad gas mileage in.

I've only had so much experience with building engines, but I'm assuming lightweight internals and rotating parts would greatly increase the mpg from the engine itself.

I'm picking Aesthetics over speed any day. If I wanted to go fast I would have kept my Firebird, and dumped more money into it. I'm just looking to get a little more power from it. The car now can barely push up hills compared to my last car, truck and the jeep I was driving for a while.

And as for the muffler and carbon fiber hood choice, I am planning on putting them both on to offset each other. The Hood will be offset by the carbon fiber muffler and (hopefully) look very good. Same with the extended lugs and the muffler tip. They'll both contrast nicely to each other.

In other news, I came home today to one of the stickers I ordered and my tax return! Woohoo!

Sorry for the crude image, I just took it with my phone quickly on my way to the bank.

And the company I bought my TEAL (took forever to find one!) auxiliary cable from, responded to my email with some pictures I took for them.

(some examples)

And before I finish this post, some eye candy, my old car.

If you want to see more of my stuff, check out my website at UnderTheTreeMedia.com

If im not allowed to link my site just let me know and I'll take it down.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build so far! I would never want to drive an auto, but to each his own.
you should get better gas mileage with a b18 in a civic than a teg, it's lighter. you may or may not reach 30 combined, I don't drive a b series so I don't know.
And i'd recommend building your engine all at once in a spurt if possible... especially if you'll be pulling it. if you want power with an auto, go B-series for sure.
I think you're crazy for doing truck bedliner instead of carpet lol
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Yesidriveacivic
Nice build so far! I would never want to drive an auto, but to each his own.
you should get better gas mileage with a b18 in a civic than a teg, it's lighter. you may or may not reach 30 combined, I don't drive a b series so I don't know.
And i'd recommend building your engine all at once in a spurt if possible... especially if you'll be pulling it. if you want power with an auto, go B-series for sure.
I think you're crazy for doing truck bedliner instead of carpet lol
I'll be rebuilding the engine over time in a garage (or just storing parts there until I want to put it together and swap in). So It's not like It will be in my car, constantly being worked on.

Truck bedliner, in my eyes, is a good choice. Jeeps and truckers use it, and it keeps all the mud, water, and dirt out. Plus it doesn't look bad, per se. Easy to keep clean, and nice to look at!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subbb
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would love to find me a mint bubble all of them are always molested :-(
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you purhase this one at ?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc2_ShowStopper
i would love to find me a mint bubble all of them are always molested :-(
It took me a couple months to find a good one in my price range. The ones I looked at were destroyed, or riced out.

This has some bad parts but overall very nice. There is bondo, it's obvious but compared to any other ones around here in NY this one is nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you would quit being stupid and just swap a 5-speed you won't have to worry about gas mileage. I get 28-30 in a B18 hatch.

Listen to the people, automatic Hondas are worthless. If you're going to leave it automatic then leave the car alone. If you do a motor swap than 5-speed is a must. Don't know why you and your family find a clutch annoying. I've driven nothing but manual transmission since I was 15 and I don't plan on switching to auto any time soon. I just like having complete control over the car and feel like I'm a much more conscious/aware driver when I'm in a manual.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Well if you would quit being stupid and just swap a 5-speed you won't have to worry about gas mileage. I get 28-30 in a B18 hatch.

Listen to the people, automatic Hondas are worthless. If you're going to leave it automatic then leave the car alone. If you do a motor swap than 5-speed is a must. Don't know why you and your family find a clutch annoying. I've driven nothing but manual transmission since I was 15 and I don't plan on switching to auto any time soon. I just like having complete control over the car and feel like I'm a much more conscious/aware driver when I'm in a manual.
Well if you would quit being so close-minded and bigoted maybe you wouldn't have to get mad over someone's personal choice.

As stated before, I use this in stop-and-go driving frequently. To use a clutch would irritate me to no end. If you like 5 speeds, drive a 5 speed, no need to FORCE everyone to do it. It's like those religious nuts....

When I learned how to drive a manual I was less focused on the road, and more focused on the gears, and everything else. I have ADHD so the more things I have to do, the more difficult it becomes.

I could care less if the car is worthless, it's my car, and my creation, so to myself it is worth everything. If I was looking for a car that was "worth something" to begin with, I would have steered far away from Honda.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ironically, id bet $ the hatch is worth more than a 305 firebird. A t/a would be a diff story
Edit- if both cars bone stock. Anyway, decent looking hatch.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice hatch man. I can see why you dont want a 5 speed. Alot of these guys a die hard manual fans so youll get **** for having an auto. I was skeptical when i first got my civic because i hadn't driven a manual in years but it was like riding a bike. And the short shifter helped alot too haha. Love the teal paint btw.

Quick Reply: 92 Teal DX Hatch Build Thread