Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 hatch suspension upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 hatch suspension upgrades.

Hey there i ave a stock 92 hatch on stellies right now and i am hoping to get 15 inch rotas later on, i was thinking about getting a 1.25 inch drop, however i want it to look slammed so i was thinking more like 2.25 or 2 however my boy said im gonna need camber kits and that costs a lot of money so can sum1 please tell me the most efficent way and cheapest suspension to get without getting camber wear, and what kind of rims i need, thanks
Old 09-19-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: 92 hatch suspension upgrades. (Ratchback)

Suspension and cheap dont go together.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 92 hatch suspension upgrades. (GAccord)

http://omnipowerusa.com/Specials/Special_1.asp just get something like that... that has the front camber kit, and the coilovers, then just get rear camber kits, for like 110 or whatever... Thats not that bad of a price I dont think..
Old 09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

get some ground controls and some good shocks like koni yellows or tokico illumina's. they're both adjustable.

how low you go is what determines how bad your camber is so thats why i suggest getting coilovers. you could have it at a 2 inch drop and get away with minor camber ware but if you decide to go lower than a 2 inch drop, i suggest you dont until you save up to get a camber kit in the front at least.

omni power camber kits get my vote, they're the same as skunk2 and cheaper. im thinking about getting a set soon
Old 09-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for a slamming look get yourself some adjustable coilover
Old 09-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Electrician

1.25" = Springs and shocks.
Slamming = Adjustable coilovers.
Cheap + Suspension = Trouble.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

i have h&r race springs and kyb agx's on Si wheels and dont need a camber kit. maybe you'll get lucky too...i thought i was gonna need one..good thing i dont cause it saves me money!

btw..theres no wheel gap at all, the fender sits RIGHT above the tire
Old 09-19-2004, 05:41 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how low you go is what determines how bad your camber is so thats why i suggest getting coilovers. you could have it at a 2 inch drop and get away with minor camber ware but if you decide to go lower than a 2 inch drop, i suggest you dont until you save up to get a camber kit in the front at least.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't need a camber kit if you're just looking to correct uneven tire wear. That's a waste of money, when a simple toe alignment will correct the majority of uneven tire wear. Besides, you should have an alignment done when messing with the suspension geometry regardless of whether you have a camber kit or not.

Lowering the car creates toe-out, which is what causes tires to wear drastically on the inside shoulder. Negative camber does not affect tire wear enough to warrant correcting it. The negative camber is good for handling and clearance reasons. Besides, correcting camber with an extreme low ride height and soft springs can potentially cause suspension components to start hitting the frame and body panels.

Take the car to an alignment shop after lowering it and have them set the toe back to factory specifications - you shouldn't have any major tire wear problems after that, particularly if you rotate often.

And to the original poster, you're not going to "upgrade" the suspension cheaply - you have to spend a good bit of money to have an effective, properly functioning suspension system. This usually does not involve "slizzamming it y0!" which is only for looks purposes (I personally think it looks retarded) and causes more problems than it is worth.

You may not have the time and money to do it right the first time, but will you have the time and money to re-do in the future (which is what you'll end up having to do)? Think about it.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

negative camber does affect tire ware. okay, ive only had my car dumped for how long. dont get me wrong, toe is as bad if not worse than camber, i can see what you're saying. plus when you launch, it doesn't help your traction when you're riding on the inner treads therefore a camber correction kit helps have your wheels flat on the ground.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:28 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">negative camber does affect tire ware.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Care to show me a picture of an unevenly worn tire? I can tell you whether it's been worn by negative camber or by toe out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay, ive only had my car dumped for how long.</TD></TR></TABLE>
And have you ever had it aligned? Post the printout.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

KYB GR-2 shocks bought new off of H-T $195 shipped
Neuspeed Sport Springs bought new off of ebay $145 shipped.
Alignment $40 bucks (special price from the tire place for buying 4 tires from them)

Install w/ the help of a friend (keithv from the EF forum) free.

Nice 1.8" drop, great ride quality for daily driver that sees 360 miles/week commuting.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i could show you my uneven tire ware but i dont have a camera available and yes ive had it aligned but dont have the printout
Old 09-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't need a camber kit neg camber will make you car handle better just wear tires quicker go with a full coilover tein makes good stuff
Old 09-19-2004, 07:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 92 hatch suspension upgrades. (bgoetz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bgoetz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't need a camber kit neg camber will make you car handle better just wear tires quicker go with a full coilover tein makes good stuff </TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't say you need one
Old 09-19-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: 92 hatch suspension upgrades. (EJcoupe)

i'm just going to say Omni stuff isn't that great.. had a front camber kit didn't really like it... anywho you should invest good money on the suspension... don't cheap out on it... i would say something in the neighborhood for Tein SS ... or even something like Kyb agx/tokico illumina's with some ground control or skunk2...

just don't get chapeed out suspension...invest some money on it..
Old 09-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 92 hatch suspension upgrades. (FeRioR$)

I have Tein SS and love em.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Care to show me a picture of an unevenly worn tire? I can tell you whether it's been worn by negative camber or by toe out.

And have you ever had it aligned? Post the printout.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude negative camber does affect tire wear. You cant deny that it doesnt but it's no where near the extent of toe or even caster.

Your right he probably doesnt need a camber kit but if your going anything lower than 2inches i'd definatley suggest one. I'm on H&R sports and instead of getting a full camber kit i just did the washer/bolt trick in the back and new ball joints in the front. I still have just a slight negative camber on all my wheels but nothing noticeable.(kinda how i wanted it)

I do have printouts of my camber and i could post them but their at home and i wont be there until at least next weekend.