Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 DX Main relay clicking rapidly, dim check engine light, no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 DX Main relay clicking rapidly, dim check engine light, no start

I'm getting my 92 DX winter warrior back out because unfortunately summer is coming to an end. It ran great when I parked it, and it sat inside the garage all summer. I went to start it up the other day, checked the fluids, put some fresh gas in, and it cranked like hell but wouldn't go. If I cranked for a long time - like 30s - it would sound like it wanted to start, but no luck. I did get it to run for a few minutes, maybe 2, but then it quit. Acted like someone turned off the key, didn't struggle and die, just stopped.

Now when I turn the key on, the check engine light blinks, but is very dim. Much dimmer than the other dash lights. The main relay is making a rapid fire clicking noise - like 4 clicks in half a second, then quiet for a second, then more clicks. Like an annoying metronome. It's perfectly in time with the blinking of the CEL. Fuel pump doesn't prime, and of course, no start. Battery is good, 12.6V.

I checked the ground on the main relay connector and it's good. Ground to +12 on the connector only reads about 8 volts, though. Unless I unplug the ECU ... then it jumps up to 12v. Relay stops clicking then of course. Plug the ECU back in and clickclickclick, and the voltage drops back down to 7.5-8.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Does it sound like the ECU is toast? Is there a good way to test it? Could something else be going on that's making the ECU freak out and turn the main relay on and off real fast?

Thanks all, n advance!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 92 DX Main relay clicking rapidly, dim check engine light, no start

I would start by checking all your grounds. Aswell as refilling the electrolyte in the battery, then give it a load test. Not much to go on but sounds like a voltage issue to me, or corrosion on an ECU connection. Use Di-electric on any plugs you take apart or open air connections. You mentioned its a winter car making this step all the more necessary.

To test an ECU just find someone else with the same car that runs, if it doesn't run when you plug yours in its ded. Easier said than done i know.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Especially check the ECU ground wires on the thermostat.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the ideas, guys! No luck yet ... Its a seal battery, but it passes a load test. I swapped it for a spare I had just in case, but no change. ECU contacts all look okay. The +12 on the main relay had some corrosion that I cleaned up but it wasn't bad. I don't know anybody else with an EG civic in the area ... I have a 95 that's in pretty bad shape but also ran when parked. Would that ECU be compatible? I could pull it and try that.

There isn't a ground on my thermostat housing, but there hasn't been one the whole time I've had the car. There's only a couple ohms between the thermostat housing and the ECU connector though.

Happy to hear any other thoughts as well!
Old 07-24-2022, 03:45 PM
Trial User

did you fix it ? if so, how ?
Old 07-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts

I've read about main relay clicking sorta like that and you may need to pull your ECU and open it, look at the capacitors(the small black battery looking things) condition on the board and see if there are any leaking.
You could try the computer from the 95 only to see if it starts since both are obd1.

Last edited by Maxcapacity; 07-24-2022 at 04:19 PM.