Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic won't start - fuel pump doesn't prime

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic won't start - fuel pump doesn't prime

first of all, Wishing all genius and people in the forum of honda-tech.com a Merry Christmas and happy New Year. Well time is gold, Now I always feel that time is running out fast there.... year after year gone without mercy... So do what you should do and do it now.... Family need love, care for them as they care for you.

Ok, question need answer. Last time i got helped by moderator and a forum guy. Thank you.

But this time another problem come in suddenly. My Engine won't start at all. My engine started this morning in OK condition, then I off it about 1min and start again it won't start. I check all ignition cable and relay fuse box under the hood is ok. But I notice my fuel pump no sound of working.

Cos I know when I turned the key the is a fuel pump sound before start. but now the fuel is quiet and My check engine light yellow keep on non stop. I suspect my fuel pump bad or could be the harness connector lose. But I don't know the the wire diagram for fuel pump. any suggest to solve this problem. Thank you
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1992 Civic 1992 Engine won't start

wen the fuel pump goes bad i always wire it straight to the fuse box and throw in a kill switch somwhere in there.its the yellow wire with green line.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic won't start - fuel pump doesn't prime

Can I assume that the starter cranks the engine fine when the key is turned to ON(III)?

If hood fuse 31 and dash fuse 24 are not blown, then try resoldering the main relay.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1992 Civic 1992 Engine won't start

Originally Posted by SOHConthis
wen the fuel pump goes bad i always wire it straight to the fuse box and throw in a kill switch somwhere in there.its the yellow wire with green line.
OP - Don't do this. It's unsafe.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed. check for spark first. dont know the history or major mods/maitenance. if no spark and no fuel, check the thermostat housing ground. if no fuel then check dash relay. all of the questions can be answered by RonJ@ht within his sig. never wire a pump strait. most toggle switches will get hot or burn the wires. relays and oem wiring are often the best solution.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fuse is fine and when I turn the key there is spark working. just it feel like no fuel going in. I guess Moderator are right. It could be Main relay. This few day I suffering from my poor battery level. Cos My car hardly start, So I used jump start. Could this cause the main relay faulty by jump start? I know there is way to soldering the main relay. but I don't know how, Is there a bypass by using a wire for temporary, Cos I think replace it straight. thank you

Last edited by 9tailsfox; 12-26-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely charge or replace the battery before doing anything else.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The battery is ok for now. Cos I charge it by leaving it engine start start idle for about 1 hour. The battery is sufficient to start the engine. but just when key turned and I press the pedal too. is like no fuel pumping in to it. Now I on my way to get a main relay replacement. Thank you for the advice,.. I thought this question could be answer after new year in this forum. nice active forum here. Thumb up
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh man, I think I made a mistake. The main relay i replace it a working one but still unable to start. There is no sound of working fuel pump......=.= Now I guess is the fuse I only check the 15a blue fuse. I don't have the tester, I just checked inside the fuse wire connected, the fuse should be OK. So far I checked all 15a blue fuse below my steering wheel and the top right corner fuse box near the battery. all is OK. No fuse wire broken. What should I do now?... what could be other problem other than fuse and main relay? thank you.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do these tests:

Name:  picture_5580.jpg
Views: 35293
Size:  112.7 KB
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll do it But this got to be test by mechanic. thankx...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried the above, using a wire connect pin 5 and pin 7. As result the fuel pump work and sound. I try to start it still hardly start... but later I finally start it. But It was last about 5 minutes only... I saw that my exhaust got some smoke. Then I unable to start until now,... a friend of mine said it could be the distributor (dizzy) problem. Could it be? If do how do I test it? thank you.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you right now jump pin 5 to pin 7, does the fuel pump still run?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This New year countdown I celebrate by fixing car.=.=
Finally the Riddle solved. Is the thermal stat ground cable no connecting. (broken)
You need to see it closely....(damn). Previous The fuel pump no sound working could be my battery low. RonJ@HT and xero_xero were right.

I replace the relay and still cannot start engine, I took out the distributor test by mechanics result distributor no problem, then I change oem cable to ngk r09 cable still unable to start engine, then I saw the Thermal stat housing ground cable no attach.( There are two twin cable connect to a nut. one of the twin cable no connecting. The cable is crisp) Now I use a wire to get them connected.
I learned a lesson. Thanks RonJ@HT and xero_xero once again. Being here is like more than a university. haha
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to add that I just had the EXACT same problem with my EG. I replace the main relay once, and it worked for a while. Then the other day, I was warming it up, and then it stalled a little then died. I thought it was the relay again, but it ended up being a loose thermostat housing ground just like above! Without that explaination, I don't know how long it would have took me to track that down.

Thanks 9tailsfox!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 92 Civic won't start - fuel pump doesn't prime

hey guys hope you can help me out with my 94 civic! its doing the exact same problem as 9tailsfox! i replaced the main relay and it will not strart, ir cranks fine, getting fire, but just no power to my fuel pump! i did checked the thermostat ground and it looks fine i even took a file and cleaned the connection really good! i just cant think of what could it be? any soggestion is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check hood fuse 31 and dash fuse 24.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey there I remember once I did fix this that I forgot suggested by RonJ@HT or some other guy's post. I found out by one of my ground cable near the radiator hose. I uploaded these pictures... Just make sure both cable were attach. If the cable disconnected. You won't make any engine start. You notice both cable should be separate. But since they are just for ground so I mod it to combine using one screw nut.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did checked both fuses and the are fine! and that is the same ground connection that i used a file to clean and bolt it back tight and still nothing! do you guys think it could possably be the ecu? or maybe i should run a ground wire from the battery to the thermostat ground!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the pump isnt working, replace it or check the wiring itself. might have gained corrosion on the plug terminals or the wire has too much resistance.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in not really sure it is the pump but i will get on checking all the wiring tomorrow ill update tomorrow to let yall know if i find a solition to this headache!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a multimiter and see what the resistance (ohms) is on the pump wires.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys so i did the following!
used a jumper wire to jump connector 5 and 7 on the main relay conector! turned the ignition to the ON possition took a multimeter and checked the fuel pump connector and my Ω recistance is 00.0 or 0.00 anyways its 0 does this means that there is a broken wire somewhere?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is having the same problem... I Bought a new fuel pump, check the main relay, clean the wire that is connected to the thermostat... Car won't start still... Fuel pump doesn't prime, alrdy swap in a new distributor, And also engine check stays on... All fuses r good...wtf

My car died about a month ago and it was cuz the distributor, now it recently died and I don't know the problem??? Any ideas ppl???
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Racks On My EG2
My car is having the same problem... I Bought a new fuel pump, check the main relay, clean the wire that is connected to the thermostat... Car won't start still... Fuel pump doesn't prime, alrdy swap in a new distributor, And also engine check stays on... All fuses r good...wtf

My car died about a month ago and it was cuz the distributor, now it recently died and I don't know the problem??? Any ideas ppl???
What color is the CEL when it stays on? Have you tried pulling the code?

Quick Reply: 92 Civic won't start - fuel pump doesn't prime