Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic -will distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic -will distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work?

Simple question is.... will a distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work??? Ive got a 1.5 that from what ive read is not a mini-whatever....
ive been fighting a honda since i rebuilt the motor... it has a notorious surge between 1200-1700rpm... ive gone throu all the
Ive replaced the iacv...the fitv... checked cam timing.... bleed the coolant... cleaned the TB... everything... the only thing that isnt adding up is this distributor... IF i have the cam a tooth off it will idle but high.... with cam timing set the way its suposed to... it wont idle on its own... IM LOST is what im getting at.... if anyone with some honda knowledge PLEASE call me for about 15minutes.... 870-362-0417 my names greg... thank

Also! Car wont start OR run with the wires in the correct location....#1 HAS to be were #3 is SUPOSED to be..... if i set firing order #1 the the (c) is at... the timing sounds WAY to advanced to fire... and when i let go of key it backfires throu intake..... timing belt camshaft/crank is perfect.... tripped checked

Also... the car wont idle on its own... it holds stable around 1000 with my finger.... but wants to drop below 500 and then stall out 1-2 second after i let go..... IF i unplug the pcv valve from down below..... it will idle... if i plug pcv with finger... id does as if its plugged in..... can my breather chamber be plugged up and that be my problem?

Its a 1992.... makes a big diffrence haha

Sombody please help me on here or call me... im at my witts end and in my final couple days of gettin this job done... running correct or not please help 362-0417

Last edited by Former User; 11-07-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default re: 92 Civic -will distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work?

Some pics might help. Also what 1.5L motor is it? There is lots, especially pre 92 era. You didn't mention if it's the stock motor. Or what trim level of the 92 is.

Complete car details are required to get accurate help and feedback.

My first thought is you managed to put the distributor on 180 degrees out. It's not easy but possible.

The tangs are offset, if you look at the cam and the tangs of the distributor, you will see the offset and that will prevent a 180 degrees out scenario.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its deffinatly not 180 out.... i know what ur talkin bout... it wont let me bolt it up that way.... well not without the dist. Sitting crooked.... im gunna send a TON of pics.... please dont flame me for the work that is done to this car.... i took it apart and put it back together exactly how i found it.... it ran strong... just smoked CRAZY.... it was the rings... thats fixed but this surging problem wasnt there befor...

Again... it WONT idle if pcv is hooked to can only if i let the intake have a vacume leak the... or if i plug with finger....if i unplug or close hole the iacv the engine dies..........ANOTHER CLUE.... when i was trying set the timing..."even thou i have NO belt cases" i just wanted to see..... and i noticed the light goes completly dead when im giving it throttle.... but only durring acceleration.. soon as i let off loght flashes as normal.... my timing marks on the crank pully is roughly 3oclock range....... and again... the timing belt has been checked 3 times... its dead on....
Thanks for responding TOMCAT.... this is the 3rd forum ive been on in 2 weeks and the first response..... back... i posted ALOT of detailed info on the End Of All Idle Surge thread ..... thanks again man

Last edited by Former User; 11-07-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

Your distributor is upside down.

Name:  wp000361.jpg
Views: 6589
Size:  178.9 KB
Old 11-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For real? The squared side should be twards the radiator??? I tried every way possible and thats the only way it would kinda mount up.... im goin to try again now..... HOW DID I NOT NOTICE.... i been scratchin my damn head all week... lookin at pics... to worried about the damn idle air crap! THANKS MAN
Old 11-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by KaliKustom
For real? The squared side should be twards the radiator??? I tried every way possible and thats the only way it would kinda mount up.... im goin to try again now..... HOW DID I NOT NOTICE.... i been scratchin my damn head all week... lookin at pics... to worried about the damn idle air crap! THANKS MAN
Yes, towards the rad. You can turn the tabs on the distributor to get it to align with the slots of the camshaft.

Your putting the distributor 180 degrees off is why all the bolts didn't line up and why you had to flip 1 and 3 etc etc. And probably why it doesn't run or idle at the moment.

The other thing I see that shouldn't be left undone is the hose from the back left of the valve cover. That needs to connect to the intake tube. It's part of the PVC system and leaving the hose open just lets it suck in dirt into the valve train and into the oil.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man i runs 10× Better.... it still surged... but ran buitiful... maby a lil low rpm... but hittin on all 4!.... i could still only get 1 dist. Bolt in it.... in the very top.... but i belive now that it was that way when i got it... do some dist. Have diff pattern but still work?! THANKS A MILLION! .... im resetting ecm now in hopes the surge leaves completly

No luck.... runs 10x better but still surge.... ima try and check my iacv...fitv... and ect.... quick question...... the MAP sensor has 2 hoses... 1 to TB... and one to a black vented thing mounted on backside of intake next to the iacv...... what is it?

And how can i check my map?

Thanks again TomCat... i was so about to give up... and you gave me a new wind so to speak.... if you dont mind a lil more...

Ive done everything as said on the End of All Idle surge topic...
And im still getting a code 14.... and still has the surge... but its alot better and more managble

Last edited by Former User; 11-07-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Hysterically Calm

Is that not the distributor you pulled off the car?

It should be a TD41U if I recall.

The main difference between the vtec dizzy (TD42U) and the non vtec if I recall is the bolt flange positions.

You have your vacuum hoses hooked up incorrectly.

The map migh have a T connector but one end is capped.

The hose from the purge solenoid on the right side of your intake manifold should run to the charcoal canister.

See the pic below:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1403
Size:  25.9 KB
Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This whole thread is a hot mess, holy ****.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
This whole thread is a hot mess, holy ****.
Yeah the pains of learning without the FSM.

At least the OP is making head way.

OP should do a google search for 92-95 civic FSM ab0ve and see if they can't find a good download link for the helms FSM. It will save them a lot of time and headaches doing this job.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Not even the FSM. OP is typing like a ******* 12 year old girl. I'm honestly surprised they even have a driver's license, let alone a car.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic -will distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work?

IAT plug is plugged into the purge/cut evap solenoid on the back of the intake manifold. Red/Yel and Grn/Wht wires go to the IAT (intake air temp). Purge cut should be a red wire and a Yel/Blk wire. If these were plugged in backwards, chances are good you burned up the IAT sensor AND damaged the ECU. Check both.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
IAT plug is plugged into the purge/cut evap solenoid on the back of the intake manifold. Red/Yel and Grn/Wht wires go to the IAT (intake air temp). Purge cut should be a red wire and a Yel/Blk wire. If these were plugged in backwards, chances are good you burned up the IAT sensor AND damaged the ECU. Check both.
Good catch, transistor that pops in the ECU can be purchased at xenocron.com

Xenocron Tuning: Xenocron Q31 Transistor. #[Q34-Q31]
Old 11-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for your help... NotRacist go eat one... I wasnt here for help on how to type and spell... im a Mechanic not a new age "technician"... and im deffinatly Not a service writer... I build Hot Rods...Kustoms... and Offroad Beasts... im new to the honda game but im not afraid to learn... hence the reason im here for advice.... This aint my game of custom ground v8 camshafts... 4bbl carbs... and big Cubic Inches... so once again... thanks for your help everyone...expecially tomcat who heard my cry for help... tomarrow is a new day and i now have a good fealing about it... NotRacist...... all i can say man is I admited i was new to hondas... i explained that i am mechanically inclined and not some retard... AND i very nicley asked not to get flamed....

ILL GET ON ALL THE NEW INFO FIRST THING IN THE AM...mainly rerouting my vacume line from purge to canister... THANKS AGAIN!..

Btw... my MAP has 2 vac ports... 1 in bottom and 1 in the side... should i just cap the side? I deffinatly had the IACV and the purge control hooked up backwords at one point...admittedly i thaught i may have had them backwards and switched them.....it ran for about 3 minutes... chances of it bein burned out 99.9%? All the parts that are on the car now i drove to my shop with and is hooked back up via pictures... except the TB... I found the one the actually matched the intake

Whats FSM?

Last edited by TomCat39; 11-07-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed hostility to prevent stupid shit from arising.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Hysterically Calm

NotaRacist's comment is valid, this thread is a hot mess. Meaning the car is a mess as can bee seen from your pictures. It wasn't a flame as much as a statement of fact.

Don't take it personally and don't read more into it.

Trust me, if he was going to flame you.... It would have been direct and not just about the car and it's condition.

Now, FSM stands for Factory Service Manual. The search terms I provided should net you a quality link to the Helm's version which is what Honda Tech's used.

It filled two large ring binders. ab0ve is the group who released it and is why I add it to the search terms.

Good luck and just focus on the car. It's obvious Honda isn't your expertise. Being you did the rings and it started shows you have mechanical aptitude even if you made some pretty common errors from a lack of Honda experience.

The IAT to the Purge Solenoid is going to be the more expensive one though. Guaranteed you need a couple of new components.

Also you need the proper distributor for the car. One or Two bolts is not sufficient even if the car runs.

Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 PM

Stop with the ******* ellipses. Hit the period key ONCE. ******* ONCE. This is ******* elementary school English. Your MAP sensor sure as **** shouldn't have two ports. You obviously have no clue what you're looking at. The MAP sensor is only a sensor, with zero ports, attached to the throttle body, with one plug coming out of it. If it has coolant ports (which it sounds like you're describing), that isn't a MAP sensor, that's a ******* idle/cold assist valve. It's a very basic car part, which someone claiming to be a "mechanic" should be able to identify.

Do you want me to keep going, or do you get the hint yet?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TomCat... Thanks a million man... atleast now i have a dirrection... and thats all that i was looking for... as i said the car was a hot mess and half blown up when i got it... i just worked with what i had... i usually dont use manuals... im very careful in how i tear down and put back together... with photos and notes every time... i search for the technical info i need... like timing info...torq ratings and ect... and it works for me usually haha... i guess i got bit this time thanks again man.... All im tryin to do is help a kid with a pos car get himself back n forth to work... a its Friend of mines son.... so its deffinatly not a high payin job to say the least haha

My Refrence to Racist was purley on his second post....or as he would have said... Acting like a 12 year old
Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.........hey......racist........look......at...... the.....pics....
Firewall mounted map NOT a TB mounted map...... boy you are a nice fella aint ya? WHO THE HELL said anything about coolant ports...?... sounds to me like your describing a FITV?

What was it i said about common sense as a field mouse?
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KaliKustom
What was it i said about common sense as a field mouse?
You will derail your own thread unless you stay entirely focused on technical posts related to the OP.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True true.... thanks ron
Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Stop with the ******* ellipses. Hit the period key ONCE. ******* ONCE. This is ******* elementary school English. Your MAP sensor sure as **** shouldn't have two ports. You obviously have no clue what you're looking at. The MAP sensor is only a sensor, with zero ports, attached to the throttle body, with one plug coming out of it. If it has coolant ports (which it sounds like you're describing), that isn't a MAP sensor, that's a ******* idle/cold assist valve. It's a very basic car part, which someone claiming to be a "mechanic" should be able to identify.

Do you want me to keep going, or do you get the hint yet?
NAR settle down please.

He has the firewall mounted MAP sensor which stock comes with a T connector and one end of the vacuum hose is capped like I posted. See the FSM page I posted. It's there with two vacuum ports as seen in post #8.

The Purge Solenoid hose got stuck onto the T connector of the map improperly. Which of course is two ports to the map sensor due to the T connector.

@Kali... Best of luck of getting that hot mess of a car in working order. Sucks when it's handed to you in a disaster like that. This is one of those times the FSM would play a vital role in double checking and verifying connections etc. Glad I was able to assist. Cheers.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again TomCat... ive done everything listed and the car runs 95% better... but it still has the pesky surge... i didnt change the transistor... not yet... i got a another ecm thou... my old ecm and the new ecm share most of the same number. 37820-p06-...(old A50) (new A52) is that gunna be ok to use?
I installed the new ecm and started it up... it ran right in the surge zone (1500) for about 5-7min and i could hear the iacv suckin air like typhoon. then the loud thunk. The idle droped to 900 and ran it was runnin perfect.... i let it run for about 5 more minutes and then tried to rev it up to 1500... stumble is back but only half is back. i let it cool down and fired it back up and the story repeats. when its idling on its own and surging at 1500 and i plug the iacv hole in the tb it idles perfect...untill 1500.. but once again stumble mode.... i also found a broken wire on the tps so i temp fixed it with a red butt connector... i figured would be ok for now unless u think i should go ahead and soldier it up... there we go sir... this time i hope a little more readable. And just so you know im verry sorry abiut the (...) its a thing ive always done wile typing for some reason 3 dots is the time i need to think of the next sentance lol
Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would u happen to have a picture of all the engine grounds? Whats ur thaugt on maby i missed one?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Hysterically Calm

Off the top of my head, the 92-95 civic has G101 which is the main engine ground that runs to most all engine components and ECU. It's on the thermostat housing and has I think 2 eyelets bolted down by one bolt.

Then you have two chassis grounds that I am aware of, one on the transmission which is a big thick cable, tranny to frame rail, then one on the radiator support to the valve cover.

Oh and of course the negative battery cable goes directly to the body.

I think that's it under the hood if I recall correctly.

I was mistaken G201 and 202 are in the engine bay, ground FSM pages below:

Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-954.jpg
Views: 5304
Size:  3.20 MB
Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-956.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  3.25 MB
Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-958.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  3.12 MB
Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-960.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  3.28 MB
Name:  USDM_92-95_civic-964.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  3.17 MB
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again TomCat... ok so i cant find my g202 ground... but i do have a cut wire that i belive is it... down below are 2 pics ... the first is the pass. Side strut tower were i belive g202 should be located... the second picture is what i belive to be the g202 wire... would you know if the g202 would be coming from same spot as the g1? The wire im holding COULD be the starter wire since sombody befor me ran a switch to the dash

Quick Reply: 92 Civic -will distributor that only uses 2 of the 3 holes work?