Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic w/ no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic w/ no spark.

my car died the other day and will no fire back up. the only thing that we could find wrong was the distributor. I have replaced it and tested the ohms, and everything tested okay. But when I turn the key it starts to turn over and keeps trying, but there's no spark at all. We have tested all the spark plugs, wires, etc, but nothing. The only thing left is to to go through the ECU's Flow Charts. Does anyone else have any ideas what may be causing the prob.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic w/ no spark. (EGB18)

have you actually pulled one of the plug wires off and looked for a spark? or your just guessing because it wont crank?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check ground wires
Old 10-01-2004, 12:54 PM

Turn key to On (ignition on). Go under hood. Unplug two-pin plug from distributor. Check for voltage on the phatty BLK/YEL wire.

If you have voltage. and you're not seeing a spark when you plug that back in, take the spark plug out and ground it to the engine and turn it over, then your distributor is still broke or you don't have an engine ground. If you are seeing a consistent spark then either your timing is off, or you didn't hook the plug wires back up in the right order.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic w/ no spark. (project_mercy)

usually if you dont hook up the wires in the right order .....your car will ****. not **** up....just sound like it *****...trying to turn over...and backfire.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the timing belt to see if it broke?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic w/ no spark. (murmur9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">usually if you dont hook up the wires in the right order .....your car will ****. not **** up....just sound like it *****...trying to turn over...and backfire. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For some people, that's what they mean by "no spark"

Hell, for some people around here, they don't even know they're saying, they just spout out words they found that sound convincing.

I try not to (I fail usually, especially on things I'd "assume" they'd check anyway, like fuses. Also the timing belt, which the other guy fortunatly pointed out) assuming anything.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic w/ no spark. (murmur9)

no we have pulled them out and tried using a screw driver to visualize any spark, but no luck.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (95milano-pink-ej)

yes, we have checked all of that. my father is a mechanic and has been helping me as well to see anything i have overlooked.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (EGB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, we have checked all of that. my father is a mechanic and has been helping me as well to see anything i have overlooked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well he's not a very good mechanic then, because he'd have found it

Electricity goes to the distributor. The distributor, at key points, sends out electricity to spark plug wires, which in turn ground out through spark plugs, through your engine ground, and back to the battery. It's not a very complicated system, beyond the distributor.

So, as pointed out. either

a.) distributor doesn't have power
b.) distributor doesn't work
c.) distributor doesn't know when to fire due to cam not spinning due to timing belt deteriorating beyond a state of usefulness and stopping the cams, while also likely resulting in the smashing of valves to metallic goo
e.) the engine isn't grounded.
f.) plug wires have (through some strange method I can't even fathom at this point) all deteriorated to a state of such a huge resistance current can't travel and/or all broke internally
g.) even less likely, your ECU is blatto or the Yel/Grn ignitor wire heading from it to the distributor is FUBR. But I believe this would generate a CEL code, and you'd know it, unless the ECU is totally FUBR, which would require some colosal failure on someone's part.

That's 'bout it.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: (project_mercy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_mercy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For some people, that's what they mean by "no spark"

Hell, for some people around here, they don't even know they're saying, they just spout out words they found that sound convincing.

I try not to (I fail usually, especially on things I'd "assume" they'd check anyway, like fuses. Also the timing belt, which the other guy fortunatly pointed out) assuming anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, I'm just trying to be cool man.....make it sound like I know what I'm talking about. to me, because im a ******* idiot.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:24 PM

have you checked your coil, you didn't mention that when you listed the things that you checked