Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Turning My Hair Gray

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Turning My Hair Gray

The title says it all.

About beginning of February, my Civic 1.5 L broke doen for the first time. I should have seen it coming, but I was totally unprepared. Engine started stalling out no matter what I did, and a few startups later, it croaked. It would turn over, but it just didn't sound right. Wouldn't start up. Thought it was the dizzy so I replaced it, but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I spent roughly 2 months tearing apart the engine, cleaning it up, and getting it all repaired:

- New timing belt (timing is correct)
- New fuel filter
- Cleaned intake manifold (I believe a possible source of error may be coming from the throttle body, as I was a bit careless with carb cleaner when I was cleaning out the intake)
- Rebuilt the head (turns out there was so much carbon buildup in the valves that they weren't closing properly... doh)
- New exhaust header
- New Spark plugs (one of the cylinders had oil in it so maybe a new set of wires is needed?)
- Cleaned fuel injectors
- New radiator (old one had a huge crack)
- New IACV
- Good TPS
-Getting spark

It ran fine for about a week or so after the repair, but I've noticed that it's been taking longer and longer to crank him to get the engine started. A few days ago, rpms began bouncing around 1-2k range regardless of whether it was in park or drive (auto trans). A bit after the rpms bounced, the engine wouldn't accelerate and the car would ultimately die, leaving me to pull off to the side of the road and try to start back up again. It worked a few times and it only happened the first drive of the day, but when i woke up to start him this morning, he didn't even bother to start up. The engine turns over and I can hear the main relay click/fuel priming, but it shuts off after a couple seconds.

I'm about ready to throw this thing in the scrap heap at this point. I don't really know what else could be wrong with it.

EDIT: Never thought it might have been the fuel injectors, but that is a probable cause. There is fuel pressure in the lines and the rails and there's power going to the injectors, so it must have something to do with the injectors themselves. This is a probable cause, seeing as how the car seemed really bogged down and hesitant to accelerate before it died. Maybe a lot of carbon buildup in the injectors? Going to get a few right now.

EDIT 2: I got a cheap *** dizzy. One jiggle of the wiring harness and he was starting up and running like a champ again. Lesson of the day: don't buy cheap *** dizzies.

Last edited by kaibear; 05-06-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic Turning My Hair Gray

U learned it the hard way with the distributor. If you search, majority of the time, on here people recommend oem distributor. None of the aftermarket junk. Hondas are finicky about aftermatket distributors. Some work, most dont play nice.

at least you figured out and solve the issue. Unlike some other that need to be spoon fed.

good job.