Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!??

Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!??

I've searched around but haven't seen or heard of any similar problems. As the topic reads, I have a 1992 civic dx with b18b swap, the problem is with my direction lights...they are completly unresponsive. However my hazards/emergency flashers work fine. Anyone have and ideas or help? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!?? (jdmeg6hatchy)

Well, top of my head, the turn switch in the column might be bad, since that's the major component that the two don't have in common. PITA to get to, of course. Does it feel ok mechanically?

I assume fuses etc are all ok?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!?? (PerryRT)

when you press the turn signal stalk it doesn't feel as crisp as it probably should... All fuses are good!

Where is the turn switch in the column and what does it look like?? Thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!?? (jdmeg6hatchy)

That's what I was afraid of.

The switch is basically the base of the turn signal "stalk", and like all mechanical parts, eventually wears out.

Does your car have a driver's side airbag? I don't know how early Honda started that... If it does, you must be VERY careful fiddling around in that area. Airbags don't kill, but they may wound.

My suggestion would be to verify that (the turnsignal switch) is the problem by checking continuity at whatever harness/connector is upstream of there. Sorry, but it's past midnight here and my diction/typing is quickly going downhiil. Will refer to the schematic and get back to you tomorrow afternoon....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM

i had the same problem a little while ago, i was switching a cluster and the turns werent working only the hazards but maybe 10 mins later they started working again...it was weird lol
Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PerryRT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's what I was afraid of.

The switch is basically the base of the turn signal "stalk", and like all mechanical parts, eventually wears out....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha...does Honda sell the switch separately? Thanks for all the help man!

and yeah...i do have a drivers side air bag...I've taken it out in the past, so I know what to do at that end.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:36 AM

make sure there isn't a short somewhere.

Someone i know had a similar problem and what it turned out to be was he replace the turn signal bulbs with a 1 terminal bulb instead of a 2 terminal bulb. This prevented the turn signals from working but still allowed for the emergency flashers to work.

That is an easy check, but it is most likely the turn signal switch.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hijack your thread but i have a similar problem, well really the opposite. my turn signals work but my hazards dont, when i turn my hazards on my turn signals wont work
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!?? (Cypher0117)

OK. So I would agree - it's worth looking for a short/disconnect.

First of all, I'd disconnect the battery (safety with the SRS).

Now, it looks like if you take the panel cover off below the steering wheel, then the two (upper and lower) covers around the steering wheel, you should see the switch you need to fiddle with. If you turn the wheel to the 9 o'clock position, there should be two screws on the top of the column that when loosened, should let you get the switch out. There's two connectors - a 7P and a 4P above it. The 7P is for the headlights and you don't care about that. The 4P, though, is the turn signal connector.

Hold the switch 4P connector so it looks like a fat lowercase T. In there should be three pins - A and B (left to right) on the top row, and C below B on the bottom row.

Test for continuity (I'm assuming that you know how to use a meter) - in the neutral position, you shouldn't have continuity between anything. But in the right turn (up) position, you should see continuity between A and C, and in the left turn (down) position, between A and B. If it's broken, I'm guessing you won't see anything anywhere.

And hey, you've gotten out already....so you're halfway home to replacing it.

P/N 35255-SR3-A02 - $94 (ouch!)

Junkyard?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Re: (Decaf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Decaf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to hijack your thread but i have a similar problem, well really the opposite. my turn signals work but my hazards dont, when i turn my hazards on my turn signals wont work</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhhhhhh..... Do your turn signals blink? This sounds kinda like a bad flasher relay. Would help more if I knew the year and model - there were several variations.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

double check you back up light fuse. same problem. the fuse was broke. hope it helps
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PerryRT....THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 PM

No problem, glad I could help!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

perry,
i have 1 94 coupe ex, its not a fuze or anything, ive checked em all, the blinkers work like normal, but when i hit the hazards as if im turning them, they dont turn on and the blinkers wont work...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Re: (Decaf)

Decaf - Ok, I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but bear with me and more importantly, let me know if I assume anything not true.

First of all, you said the blinkers work correctly (in "normal".)
Most importantly, this means that the relay is ok, otherwise your blinkers...well....wouldn't.

Also, I'm assuming you know that while the turn-signal fuse is in the under-dash box, the HAZARD fuse is in the under-hood panel (fuse 43.)

So.... basically, the way power flows in this system is from the vehicle to the hazard switch (from two sources - one for turn signals and one for hazards) and then to the relay. When the relay is active, it sends power to either the turn signal switch or back to the hazard relay, depending on the position of the hazard switch. From there, to the lights, and from there to ground.

Oh, and btw - it's normal for the turn signals NOT to work with the hazard switch on - the system bypasses the turn signal switch altogether at that point.

Anyway, this is all a roundabout way of saying MOST of the items in this system are used for both turn signals AND hazards. There are 5 items, however, that aren't 4 wires and a switch - these are the ones we need to focus on.

My personal experience is that switches are far more likely to fail than wires, so lets start there.

Remove the hazard switch (manual says just gently pry it out of the dash.) There should be a big 9P connector on the back with two rows of pins. Disconnect it. Look at the back of the switch. Orient it so that there are two groups of two pins in the top row with a space between them and then 5 pins in a row on the bottom. Then think of the pins like this:

A B (big space) C D
(space) F G H I J

Make sense so far? (Text only sucks, btw.)

First of all, ignore I and J - they're the contacts for the lightbulb that backlights the switch (unless it's blown, good time to replace it.)

Now, with your meter set for resistance, and the switch in OFF, you should see continuity between pins F and H as a pair and nowhere else.

With the switch in the ON position, you should see continuity between A,B,C and D (as a group) and G and H (as a seperate pair.)

If you don't get that - bad switch. Honestly, that's my guess - mechanical parts usual fail long before electrical ones.

But if the switch passes the test.... There's other stuff to look at.

If you need to continue, I would kinda line up the switch with the harness side to get a feel for what pins are where on the harness side. Then check the harness side of pin G. That should be a green and white wire - it's the power coming from the hazard fuse. Careful, it's hot (or should be) even with the car off. Set your meter to VDC, touch the red lead to the pin (or socket, actually) or use a backprobe pin. Touch the black lead to a good chassis ground. You should see battery voltage there, even with the car off. If not.....that's a problem. Recheck fuse 43 in the under hood box....and if it's good and you're NOT getting power to the switch, you've got a short or break in the wire between fuse 43 and pin G.

And if that's all good, finally, you need to check the green/blue and green/yellow wires in pins B and D. These go out to the signals. Check continuity between pin B and one of the left turn signals, and then pin D and one of the right turn signals.... but they're less likely to be the problem, cause you'd probably see it working on the other side.

I'm betting on the switch or the fuse, personally.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PerryRT)

well thanks for all of the help everyone! it ended up being the turn signal switch!!!

and it passed state inspection btw...
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
New User

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!??

well i have a 2000 civic ex and the same problem but a little different my blinkers dont work but the hazard lights do but the turn switch seems to be fine but since i tried installing a stereo on it they just went dead and i thin its a short...could anyone help out to figure out which cable(s) are for the turs signals or any pointers?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Civic turn signals not working...but hazards are!!??

well i just had the same problem happen to my car when i was installing my side markers. i shorted out the turn signals and the hazards. the hazards has a fuse under the hood in that fusebox. and the turn signal is on the backup fuse.